A Change from Cruising - Coach Travel

Post your non cruising holiday ideas/plans/questions/reviews here

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

A Change from Cruising - Coach Travel

Post by Kenmo1 »

Living on the Isle of Wight means that joining a cruise ship in Southampton is so easy for us but it has meant that we have almost forgotten that there are loads of other options out there. Due to Ken's heart condition we are finding it increasing difficult to get worldwide travel insurance and so find ourselves limited to Europe when we cruise and, as we tend to cruise at least 3 times a year, we are finding that we are visiting the same ports over and over again. One alternative is to make sure that we do a few excursions so that we go further afield in the port of call instead of just wandering around the local port area. We have just come back from the final Oriana cruise and as Sue K has done a brilliant report on it, I have just added a couple of remarks to it. Two days after our return we found ourselves on a coach from the Island heading to Scotland to see the Edinburgh Tattoo.
Years ago we did a fly/coach trip around California and a fly/coach trip covering the east coast of Canada, both trips absolutely amazing but we were moving on each day and living out of a suitcase. Twenty years on we really didn't want to do that so a 5 day trip to see the Tattoo was quite appealing. The only fly in the ointment was the fact that the coach did the trip in one day with 2 comfort stops and 1 longer one for lunch. The trip up wasn't too bad but coming back Friday was horrendous in the constant pouring rain and with endless roadworks the trip took from 8am start and we didn't get indoors until 10.30pm, absolutely shattered. The actual holiday included breakfast and evening meal and all excursions and was excellent value. We went on the Falkirk Wheel and a little trip on the canal and what an amazing piece of equipment that is. We also went to see the beautiful Kelpies and I could have sat there all day gazing at these magnificent man-made wonders. The next day we went on the Royal Yacht Britannia and in the evening to the Tattoo. Small showers until the National Anthem and then it pelted down but still a wonderful evening. Next day was a visit to Stirling Castle in lovely sunshine. All in all a great trip but if we use coaches in future we will do shorter trips.
Last edited by Kenmo1 on 19 Aug 2019, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: A Change from Cruising - Coach Travel

Post by Gill W »

That's interesting to read, as we currently have similar feelings to you.

In recent years we've normally had two cruises, and some of them have been quite long, so we feel we want to rein back a little on the cruises for a while.

We are going on Azura in two weeks time, then we have Boudicca booked for next March, then we have no other cruises booked until Iona in March 2021.

For a long time, I've wanted to go to Beamish, and a local coach company has a 5 day tour up there next May. We've used this company for day trips and have found them to be very good, so when we come back from Azura, we intend to book this tour. My main worry is that there'll be someone really annoying in an adjacent seat to us and we'll be stuck with them for 5 days!

I would also like to see the Kelpies, so, if we get on ok with this tour, we may try another one to the Edinburgh area, even though it will be a long journey.

Edited to add - I think you see a lot on these tours over a short time
Last edited by Gill W on 19 Aug 2019, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Glad to read you enjoyed your coach trip!
The Kelpies are as you said absolutely beautiful. In the evening they light up inside and slowly change colour from white to red and blue so when you drive pasted they are amazing. I don't know which I prefer seeing them in the day with the sun shining on them or when it's dark and changing colours :) I live near Stirling (where I go for much of my shopping) but haven't been to the castle for a long time, it tends to be a day out when visitors come that and Wallace's Monument!

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

That's a coincidence as I have been looking at the Leger coach holidays.
Interested in one that's goes to Austria.

Lindsey

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We did a Leger tour many years ago, when we went to Disneyland Paris.

From what I remember, they were very good
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We have done more coach tours than cruises and within many parts of the world.

Parts of Europe are really fascinating and absolutely beautiful yet are seldom seen by the average holiday maker. Places like Germany, Poland, Turkey, Romania and the Balkans spring immediately to my mind. Then there are the Isles of Sicily plus Sardinia and Corsica. Depending on ones preferences and finances there were, for us anyway, two logical choices to consider.

Titan, like Leger, is a three star experience but they go to most places and will pick you up and return you to your home or any other pickup point of your choosing. Their Hotels can be a la Travelodge rather than Sheraton but does it matter if the itinerary is all important.

Insight Vacation is the crème de la crème with only 40 passengers per coach and 5* Hotels where available. I used to contribute to the creation of Euro tours with this company and would recommend them wholeheartedly but they are expensive and not all inclusive.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Non Cruise Holidays”