... at the World Travel Awards 2013

http://www.worldtravelawards.com/award- ... ation-2013

Just goes to show that not everyone thinks it's "grim oop North" :D

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Yorkshire wins Europe's Leading Destination 2013

Post by Dancing Queen »

Wonderful news for us Yorkshire folk but Shhhhh Wina :silent: we don't want all those Southern softies discovering there is life "north of Watford Gap" :wave: :wave:
Jo

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

There was an article in the Yorkshire Post this morning :

We may not have the Colosseum or the Eiffel Tower, but God’s Own County has beaten the likes of Rome and Paris to be crowned Europe’s top tourist spot.

Yorkshire’s stunning countryside and coastline and its vibrant cities were among the attractions that earned it the title of Leading European Destination at the World Travel Awards.

The dramatic landscapes of the Dales and North York Moors national parks helped the region to stand out from rivals including scenic Venice and Amsterdam, while its culture and culinary offerings were more than a match for the likes of Berlin and Barcelona.

The award, regarded as the tourism equivalent of an Oscar, is another coup for the region, which is already braced for a surge in visitor numbers following its successful bid to host the opening stages of the Tour de France next year.

It is a “hidden gem” to most Europeans, who previously knew little about the area.

They are pleasantly surprised with the different types of scenery they see here - the coast, the Dales, the moors and the Peak District - and the cities as well.

There is a stereotype of Yorkshire that it is all old mills and when they come here they see it’s quite trendy really.

And of course we’ve got some great architecture in places like York and a lot of heritage, with more monastic ruins than anywhere else in Europe.

With more Michelin-starred restaurants than any other county in the UK and quality local produce ranging from rhubarb to real ale, the region’s rich food and drink pickings were also helping to lure in visitors.

It is the first time in the history of the awards - now in their 20th year - that the prize has gone to a region rather than a country or a major city. Other nominees this year included London, Madrid, Florence, Istanbul, Lisbon and St Petersburg.

:clap: :thumbup:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Yorkshire: not enough trees.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Wonderful news for us Yorkshire folk but Shhhhh Wina :silent: we don't want all those Southern softies discovering there is life "north of Watford Gap" :wave: :wave:
Don't mind them finding life "North of Watford" just as long as they stay on the "wrongside" :D :wave:

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Yorkshire: not enough trees.
You wouldn't say that if you lived at our house, we're surrounded by them ... makes the house lovely & cool in summer but quite dark :?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Some will be bereft by this news and will now be sat in a dark room. :lol:

Yorkshire also has a number of old, long-established football clubs with some of their original players still turning out for them. :thumbup: :lol:

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

oldbluefox wrote:
Some will be bereft by this news and will now be sat in a dark room. :lol:

Yorkshire also has a number of old, long-established football clubs with some of their original players still turning out for them. :thumbup: :lol:
:mrgreen:

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

Congratualtions to Yorkshire.

With regards to Michelin starred restaurants I have enjoyed several meals over the years at two longstanding starred restaurants in the region, including Box Tree Cottage in Ilkley during it Malcolm Reid and Colin Long's heyday.

Distance and a dislike for some of the more unpleasnt aspects of some of the north prevents me from visiting more often and sampling more of the undoubted gourmond treasures that can be found in the more pleasant towns and villages of this region.

With 18 Michelin starred restaurants within 1 hours drive of my North West Hampshire home (including two 3 star and four 2 star establishments) and about 40 Michelin starred restaurants a one hour train ride to London, the Hampshire based gastonome is hardly suffering (and 5 of the 18 are within the county of Hampshire - 1 less than Yorkshire with its 5m+ population vs Hampshire 1.4m+ population).

I will admit (and have always said) that Southampton is a bit of a culinary desert when giving advice to those travelling from the far off parts of this Kingdom, the Kingdom of Scotland and the Principality of Wales the day before, in order to join their cruise the next day, but there are three excellent Michelin starred restaurants within 30 mins of Southampton and two of three of them I can commend highly (one I have not given my custom to, yet). The Black Rat, Winchester and 36 on the Quay, Emsworth are excellent.

Bon Appetit and Happy Cruising!
TMM

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

The Monocled Mutineer wrote:
Congratualtions to Yorkshire.
Thank you :D

Mo2013
I am banned
I am banned

Post by Mo2013 »

As a Yorkshire lass through and through I was pleased to read this. Around my neck of the woods we also have the Hepworth Museum (Barbara Hepworth), the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and the Royal Armouries in Leeds. Unless people are being tongue in cheek I can't believe the outdated, blinkered and prejudiced views that some appear to have about the North.

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Mo2013 wrote:
As a Yorkshire lass through and through I was pleased to read this. Around my neck of the woods we also have the Hepworth Museum (Barbara Hepworth), the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and the Royal Armouries in Leeds. Unless people are being tongue in cheek I can't believe the outdated, blinkered and prejudiced views that some appear to have about the North.
:mrgreen:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mo2013 wrote:
But it's full of northerners :shock:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

We don't bite, QB.

Not unless you look like free food. :lol:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I'm not at all surprised - our short exploratory trip earlier this year revealed wonderful vistas and landscape, interesting architecture, a good variety of shops and restaurants, and above all a truly warm and sincere welcome.

We are hoping to do a longer trip into Yorkshire in 2014, and are really looking forward to it.

Well done Yorkshire.

Em ;)

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Yorkshire is still full of southerns from my perspective.
I watched a program about a night out in York and I was appalled at the poverty ... so many young girls heading out for the night and they could only afford skirts that barely covered their fluffy bits and tops that were little more than a bandaid and some string ... I was almost tempted to leave my job and head south as a missionary to help them afford clothes that left them with no chilly bits.

PS: Well done to Yorkshire! :thumbup:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Kendhni wrote:
I was almost tempted to leave my job and head south as a missionary to help them afford clothes that left them with no chilly bits.
But Julie put her foot down over the "free fitting service".... :wave: :lol:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mo2013
I am banned
I am banned

Post by Mo2013 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mo2013 wrote:
But it's full of northerners :shock:
Naughty Quizzical Bob - now go stand in the corner :wave:

Mo2013
I am banned
I am banned

Post by Mo2013 »

PS: not forgetting Howarth, the home of the Brontes, and York, home of King Richard, not to mention a redbrick University in Leeds and a wonderful Cathedral in Wakefield. Oh, and tha'll get a right pint o' beer n'all ! Not that watery stuff darn sarf :wave:

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

If its that wonderful, why do so many of 'em live down here? e.g. Geoff Boycott. :lol: ;) ;)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Frank, even Yorkshiremen have standards and they didn't want him!! :lol:

The ones down south are the rejects!! :thumbup:

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

I'll tell my son in law that then Gary, and his Dad. They are from Holmfirth. :)

I remember a cartoon when Boycs bought his house in Sandbanks Poole which showed a notice by the motorway south saying, 'On yer bike, you softie southerner'.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Tell them if they come looking for me I always cruise Fred Olsen. :clap: :wave:

squeaks silently off!!

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Well deserved Yorkshire

Betty and I have many happy days holidaying in Yorkshire

Loved all aspects of this wonderful county

My sister in law retired to Ainthorpe to be near her daughter and family, and is extremely happy, but she still keeps her treasured rural Darzet passport up to date :thumbup:

Luboo all :wave:

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

. . . .of course there is but

Rural Darzet is just a minimal tad better :clap:
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Return to “Non Cruise Holidays”