Looking ahead - poss part worldie ....

Anything to do with World Cruises

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Looking ahead - poss part worldie ....

Post by Manoverboard »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Probably a daft question, but if we sign up for a complete "worldie" which goes to YF zone, but we decide to stay onboard at that location, would we still need innoculating?
We were formally advised by P&O, in 2013, that we wouldn't be allowed to board their ship in Rio if we weren't correctly certified for YF.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Manoverboard wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:
Probably a daft question, but if we sign up for a complete "worldie" which goes to YF zone, but we decide to stay onboard at that location, would we still need innoculating?
We were formally advised by P&O, in 2013, that we wouldn't be allowed to board their ship in Rio if we weren't correctly certified for YF.
I understand that, but we'd be boarding and disembarking in Southampton!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:
I understand that, but we'd be boarding and disembarking in Southampton!
Makes no difference as either way you ' could ' be going to a number of Ports that have a YR risk, albeit at differing risk levels. If so the issue is then compounded because other Countries on your Worldie will doubtless need to know if you have entered an area of YF risk .... if ' yes ' without a jab then they may also opt to exclude you.

It's a bit like India insisting on you having an entry Visa even if you don't want to go ashore, doesn't matter you still have to have one.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

okay, Moby, thanks for the clarification.

Just to be pedantic, though, would the Indian authorities come on board to check that everyone on the ship had a visa? Or do they have a list of pax to compare against a list of visas granted?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

I remember the Indian authorities coming on board Arcadia prior to us arriving in Mumbai. We were told that All pax who did not have a visa were put off in the previous port and had to make their own way to Oman or Dubai. This could just be ship board gossip as no one we spoke too knew somebody who this had happened to.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Silver_Shiney wrote:

Just to be pedantic, though, would the Indian authorities come on board to check that everyone on the ship had a visa? Or do they have a list of pax to compare against a list of visas granted?
Yep, Indian Immigration will be on board en masse and nobody will be getting off nor will the ship be allowed to berth in India unless and until every single passenger is checked ... in triplicate. You will possibly not be permitted to board in Southampton without the official Indian Visa affixed inside your passport. We boarded Aurora in Bangkok in 2012 and deffo needed an Indian Visa to board.

Pedantic, no way ... tis best to check these things out well in advance as the detail is not in the brochure nor will P&O tell you a thing until the booking is well advanced, even after the final payment has been made in some cases.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thanks Moby!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
I would suggest that that is something you should ask your GP/travel clinic about. The one problem is that how would you know for sure that you would stay onboard? There are many reasons why you may decide, or it may be decided for you, that you have to get off.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Fair point, David, I must say though that there are some places in the world that I am very keen NOT to go to. It will depend, of course, on the cruise itinerary (and whether or not I haven't taken medical discharge from the human race by that time!)
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Manoverboard wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:

Yep, Indian Immigration will be on board en masse and nobody will be getting off nor will the ship be allowed to berth in India unless and until every single passenger is checked ... in triplicate. You will possibly not be permitted to board in Southampton without the official Indian Visa affixed inside your passport. We boarded Aurora in Bangkok in 2012 and deffo needed an Indian Visa to board.

Pedantic, no way ... tis best to check these things out well in advance as the detail is not in the brochure nor will P&O tell you a thing until the booking is well advanced, even after the final payment has been made in some cases.
Excellent point and one reason that I now ignore itineraries on that continent.

Having been to two Indian ports while on Aurora's and Oriana's World Cruises, Cochin and Bombay, prior to the imposition of these ridiculous visa fees, I really don't feel the urge to join their tit-for-tat game.

cruisingtoski
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruisingtoski »

Suekersh wrote:
I remember the Indian authorities coming on board Arcadia prior to us arriving in Mumbai. We were told that All pax who did not have a visa were put off in the previous port and had to make their own way to Oman or Dubai. This could just be ship board gossip as no one we spoke too knew somebody who this had happened to.
Hello all,
I've just been reading back on this thread and saw this post from Sue, I was also on this cruise and as Sue has said the Indian authorities came on board en masses prior to arriving in Mumbai.
I was aware of a few cases of people having to leave the ship.
One direct experience was two chaps on my table who were from Australia and didn't have the required Indian visa and they left the ship prior to arriving in Indian water and joined us again in Oman.
I also overheard a couple arguing with reception about being forced to leave.
The third case and this may well have been ship board rumour but there was a lady from the uk who didn't have a visa and although she said she had been given 'special dispensation 'to stay on board wasn't seen around the ship after the port before we entered Indian waters (I think it was Sri Lanka ).
I believe now the process of obtaining an Indian visa is maybe a little easier as I think I read somewhere it can now be done electronically although I suspect it's probably not much cheaper.
Regards,
Denise

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Unlikely to be easier if you have applied before cos as well as scrutinising the whole thing they will also refer to what you put on your previous application ... so it's always a good plan to keep a copy.

Return to “World Cruises”