QM2 Singapore to Southampton (and a stay first in Saigon

Anything to do with World Cruises

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

QM2 Singapore to Southampton (and a stay first in Saigon

Post by GillD46 »

The background to this trip is that we booked the Dubai to Southampton leg as a Getaway some time ago. It was to be three weeks after OH finally retired from Medicine completely - having semi retired over 3 years ago. We were due to spend only a night in Dubai pre cruise, since it isn't a city we desperately like.

Then my father-in-law died in February, just a little over a year after my mother-in-law, which hit both of us hard, obviously OH especially. We have had a bad year since moving into our downsized home, which seemed to throw up a new problem needing a vast chunk of cash almost every month ( new windows and doors, new roof, new kitchen, rendering, two new bathrooms etc etc etc) and then father-in-law fell and fractured his hip while staying with us last summer. Anyway, the death of my father-in-law made us realise just how much we wanted to see our son and his partner, who both teach in Ho Chi Minh City, so we decided to go out there and stay a few days with them, then fly to Singapore for a couple of days before joining QM2 for the leg before the one we were booked to do as well.

Cunard were fantastic, they helped us sort it all out, cancelled the flight and hotel already booked - and paid for - and we got a great deal both for the Singapore to Dubai leg of the cruise and in particular the Qatar flight to HCMC, which truly was a real steal. They also booked us into the Fairmont hotel in Singapore and all we had to do ourselves was book a one way flight from HCMC to Singapore, but it had to provide us with the equivalent 40kgs pp baggage allowance to that allowed by Qatar. We found that Singapore Airlines did just that, and at an acceptable price, so with that booked we were all set!

We booked excursions, ordered currency, an airport hotel at LHR, a one way self drive car to get to LHR from S.W. Wales and another to get us home from Southampton and bought some new clothes and vast quantities of Cadbury's mini eggs for our son! All those necessary appointments that ladies ALWAYS have pre holiday, will be in HCMC, as our son's girlfriend has arranged me appointments in the salon at their apartment complex. OH saw his last patient, had his leaving "do"

Then a few days ago we had a massive problem when my mother was referred for an endoscopy because of her difficulty swallowing solids. As per the Ts &C s we informed our insurance company who at first said they wouldn't cover us for curtailment should she deteriorate and we need to return. After much arguing and a lengthy explanation of her health and the fact she is very well in herself, they relented and agreed they would cover us after all! Just after that we had a call from our daughter to tell us she has become engaged - what a day! Family issues sorted, we have done the packing, apart from our electric toothbrushes and it is nearly time to go. Tomorrow in fact!
Gill

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: QM2 Singapore to Southampton (and a stay first in Saigon

Post by GillD46 »

Dennis The Menace has very kindly agreed to post my comments so hopefully there will be an update every so often.
Gill

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Gill I wish you all the best for your travels though as I read further and further I began to panic that you were going to have to cancel - what relief to realise you are going :thumbup:

Enjoy your time with your son and on your cruise - I look forward to hearing of your experiences via Dennis - Bon Voyage :wave:
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Have a great holiday, Gill. It sounds like you are in need of a break and I'm sorry to hear of the awful time you and your husband have had recently.

I know what you mean about all the building work when you move home - we currently have the builders in replacing our garage asbestos roof and hopefully, fingers crossed, that will be the last big bill.

Enjoy yourselves.

Maureen

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Bon Voyage Gill have a wonderful time.
Jo

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Have a great cruise Gill.

I am looking forward to reading your reports.

Sue

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Calm seas - Blue Skies all the way and back

Luboo :wave:

The slightly envious Giant of Cerne Abbas
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thanks folk, we are up nice and early for Tony to catch the bus to town to pick up the hire car while I change the bed and wash the bedding. We'll just load up when he gets back - and go!

See you all in six weeks :thumbup:
Gill

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We left home at 11.30am for the drive to LHR T4 Hilton, arriving at 2.45pm. We'd picked up a decent deal for a room on the Executive floor, which was recently refurbished and very clean, and gave us access to the Executive Lounge. It's a very modern hotel, comfortable with great showers and comfy beds. There's a coffee place, a bar and a couple of restaurants, with prices not too frightening for a Heathrow hotel!. So after depositing all our luggage in the room and locking away the valuables and documents, we went down for a drink - we only chose a soft drink this time - and a few bite size cakes and nibbles. Tummies satisfied, we went for a swim. The pool was on the ground floor with panoramic windows overlooking a lake, a few loungers beside the pool and with the sun streaming in was very pleasant indeed.

Later we went back to the Lounge for evening drinks - alcoholic for him, non alcoholic for me - and a few canapés. These were sufficient for us to skip dinner altogether. Tony then went to the Bar to watch football, while I went back to the room and watched TV. As usual, I slept badly and was up and in the shower by 5.30am. Lovely big shower with great pressure which is such a rarity these days. We had breakfast, which seemed to be pretty extensive, another swim, then at 11am took the tunnel to the terminal building.

Oh my word, we are now sitting in the Qatar Lounge, having had THE most delightful meal, a couple of glasses of Bollinger, plus some 40 year old port for Tony and a filled a couple of boxes with lovely chocolates - for our journey (!) and also for our son. Boarding is due in half an hour. If the on board experience is as good as the lounge, we are in for a treat.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Have a lovely time !
Gill

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Have a great trip Gill it sounds as if you both deserve it!!

Topic author
GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

So, we have had a wonderful time in Saigon and then Singapore, doing and seeing some most enjoyable things and spending those precious few days with our son and his girlfriend, but now it is time for the 29 night voyage back to the UK.

I woke very early this morning, as is usual, and opened the curtains here at the Fairmont, to the glorious view of QM2 all lit up and berthed at the Marina Bay Cruise Centre. We have a great view over the Marina Bay area and the Marina Bay Sands Resort. I stood on the balcony in the warm darkness, just looking at that wonderful ship, easily my favourite of all the ships we have been fortunate enough to sail on. Just a few hours until we board.........
Gill

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Great to hear from you. Have a wonderful cruise.

Sue

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Just spotted this existing thread, so will add Gill's updates to both this one and the "live from":

Thursday 10th

Cunard had arranged a bus transfer for the 40 of us at the Fairmont with all luggage travelling by truck, but we took a taxi a few minutes earlier for the 10 minute journey, thinking we might beat the queues! How wrong we were! Voyager of the Seas was in as well and it was packed. Anyway, after a rigorous security screening, and a short wait in the pre-embarkation lounge, we checked in and were onboard.

Our original booking from Dubai was in the QG, but when we added this extra bit, we opted for Britannia Club for this leg, which is a glassed off area in the Britannia Restaurant, but with single seating anytime dining, instead of the two seatings in Britannia, and with your own table for all three meals. We arrived at our cabin and straightaway realised we had made the wrong choice so went down to reception and after some communication between the ship and Southampton, and a payment that will make a hefty CC bill this month, we moved cabins, T ordered the whisky and wine he wanted for the bar set up, and we chose the soft drinks we wanted the 'fridge stocked with. We declined evening canapés! Now all settled, we were ready to enjoy ourselves for the whole of the voyage(s)

Sail away from. Singapore was scheduled for at 8pm, though because as usual there were some later back to the ship, it was nearer 8.30, but what a fabulous sail away it was, no singing and dancing around the pool, just the magnificently lit up sky line slowly receding, before eventually disappearing altogether.

Friday 11th

We were at Port Kelang for Kuala Lumpur. This is NOT a place we wanted to re-visit, so given all the rushing around we had done the past couple of weeks, we skipped it, going ashore only for a brief walk outside the terminal building as there is really nothing around to see. We spent the day reacquainting ourselves with the ship and relaxing. T caught up with some laundry from our travels.

Before dinner we had a rather nice cocktail in the Lounge accompanied by some delicious canapés - just as well we had declined those delivered at 5pm - and then dinner was wonderful. We never eat more than two courses, so given T has a sweet tooth, skipped a starter and he had veal, while I had something I really liked but for the life of me can't quite remember what, although I know it involved mushrooms! Afterwards we spent a while in the Chart. Room listening to a Jazz trio, then ended the evening in the Commodore Club, listening to the pianist.

Saturday 12th

We were at Langkawi. We were along side by 7.30 as advised by Capt Wells and opened our curtains to dozens of islands appearing out the early morning mist, it was really magical and I took many pictures, though I doubt any will really do justice! We were not taking an excursion so decided to take the shuttle bus to the UnderwaterCentre and then visit a beach. We had to be on board by 3.30 so not too long here anyway.

The island, or what we saw of it, was pretty but rather uncared for, with litter strewn everywhere. But the beach was quite picturesque and the sea unbelievably warm and very calm. Unfortunately it wasn't clear so no point in snorkelling. I did see lots of tiny fish swimming around my feet in the shallows though. Two or three hours here was enough and we made our way back to the ship, where we popped into the Concierge Lounge to book trips in Oman and picked up some juice and a couple of sandwiches to make a late lunch on the balcony.

We went for pre dinner drinks to some guys we had met earlier in the day, who were just a few doors away and then went down to dinner, really quite late for us.
T had grouper and I had a blue cheese soufflé, followed by crepes suzettes flambeed at table for both of us - and very nice they were too! Afterwards we went to the theatre to watch the show VivaItalia. Hmmm, I heard many passengers saying how good it was, I am not so sure I would agree. One of the female singers was on QE last year and sad to say has not improved much! Her voice leaves a lot of be desired in my view and her cheesy grin irritates me no end! The costumes were absolutely superb though, quite the best I have ever seen onboard any ship and I would say the production was "interesting" but we are not especially fans of the shows, so it doesn't bother us unduly.

Sunday 13th. Happy Birthday Tony!

Today we are at sea, sailing from the Andaman Sea past the Nicabar Islands and towards to Bay of Bengal. It has been a gloriously hot, sunny day with seas as still and glassy as I have ever seen them. There is no movement to be felt whatsoever which has been great for dolphin spotting, and true to form we have seen a few. We had breakfast in the restaurant - assorted fresh berries and natural yoghurt for me, museli and smoked salmon omelette for T as it's his birthday! We have done one miles around the deck, so far and will do another later this afternoon. It has been so lovely we have spent the day on our balcony and got Robel, to bring some lunch from the restaurant here. A little later this afternoon we are going to a showing in the Planetarium and then this evening there are drinks with the Captain in the Winter Gardens for those embarking at Singapore. It's formal so I look forward to seeing all dressed in their finery - generally, the dress code has been interpreted very differently by different people. A great number of Asian folk embarked at Singapore, mostly until Dubai we have been told, and most of them look fantastic in their own attire at all times. Sadly some people - maybe those that have been on for longer, appear to have a different idea of formal! Last night, one man's idea of a jacket - which is ALWAYS required - was an anorak! By the way, , there are only 90 passengers doing the 120 night Southampton to Southampton voyage! And 1700 of us embarked at Singapore! There are also a good number of our antipodean friends on board at present, though I understand many hundreds left at Singapore.

More later.......

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

April 13th continued

The day passed much as described earlier, most of it on the balcony. We went to the Planetarium in the afternoon and saw A Search for Life, narrated by Harrison Ford. Then after a quick glass of champagne in the Lounge, we went to the party in the Winter Gardens. Although the invitation said it was for those embarking at SIN, the Captain suggested it was for those in the highest tier of the loyalty club - but we are not in the top tier, so I really am not sure quite who it was for, anyway there were only about 50 there. There were fabulous canapés served and real champagne, not the vile sparking wine they provide in the cabins, so after a couple of glasses and the one I'd had earlier I was really rather merry!

Dinner was wonderful - last night T had requested a Chateaubriand which is normally prepared for two, but I am vegetarian and so he was given the lot himself! I hadn't fancied anything on the menu, so at lunch time had requested a vegetable curry and the meal I was given was fantastic. We then went to the early performance of the Beatles Experience, which was so good we went back for the later performance as well!

April 14th - sea day

Today was always going to be a difficult one for me, my elderly mum, who is very frail, and had developed swallowing difficulties and subsequent massive weight loss, was having an endoscopy and it was suspected had a nasty oesophageal tumour, but fortunately it turned out it wasn't that at all and while her problem can not easily be treated at her age, it was still very good news.

We did our three laps around the deck after breakfast, then had a pirate drill, where we waited in the corridor outside our cabins for half an hour, chatting to our as yet unmet neighbours, while the ship revved up to 29 knots to escape from the potential pirates. It all went smoothly and after Sri Lanka tomorrow, pirate restrictions will apply - lower decks closed from dust to dawn and curtains closed when the lights are on etc - right the way from Sri Lanka to Aqaba, as the pirate infested area has been recently greatly extended. We then went to a most interesting talk about Osama Bin Laden by Jane Corbin from BBC Panorama. The theatre was packed, if rather chilly, and it was very thought provoking. Lunch was a very nice blue cheese and grapefruit salad which seemed restrained but the dessert that followed, ruined our good intentions! Later T went to a wine tasting, accompanied by 5 appropriate tasting plates, and returned more than a little jolly! I had remained on the balcony, in the hot sun, with another flat calm sea, waiting for the news from home. It took another three laps round the deck to get him a bit more sensible!

Afterwards, we had some friends in for pre dinner drinks and then enjoyed another lovely dinner - a trio of melon salad starter and vegetable biryani for each of us and NO dessert, even though the Maitre d' tried his hardest to persuade us to allow him to prepare crepes suzette for us again. We resisted, but did manage to almost demolish the platter of petit fours between us! We have a nice table for two, which allows us to be in and out of the restaurant as fast, or as slowly as we want, while close enough to the tables either side, to chat. Since neither of us can sit for long, we tend to spend less time at meals than many. Having had a late night last night and a stressful day for me, we returned to our cabin after dinner to watch a movie.

Return to “World Cruises”