Arcadia World Cruise 2014

Anything to do with World Cruises

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Arcadia World Cruise 2014

Post by Suekersh »

Anyone else on this cruise either full worldie or segments.

We have booked LA To Dubai. 50 nights cruising 3 nights pre cruise in LA and 2 nights post cruise in Dubai. We have never visited any of the areas we are going to. 9 weeks off work will I ever want to go back?

P&O have managed to mess up our cruise Personaliser and have us disembarking in Muscat on a tender.

Just hope they don't sell our cabin after Muscat before they get CP sorted out.

We should hear about our flights in the next couple of weeks but being P & O could be a couple of months.

Look forward to hearing from anyone else booked on this cruise. Is it too early to get excited about this cruise?

Sue

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Arcadia World Cruise 2014

Post by Romig1 »

Sue, that sounds a fantastic segment.

If I ever get to do part of a worldie that's the area I'd like to visit. I assume the itinerary includes the Pacific islands followed by the "Antipodes", then the Far East, returning via India?

Oh, and it's NEVER too early to get excited about a cruise! :D

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Sounds a fantastic itinerary Sue :D

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

That's a brilliant choice of segments.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Sadly not Sue but it sounds a corker :-)

Lulucat
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lulucat »

Sounds fabulous Sue - enjoy every moment

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Romig1 wrote:
Sue, that sounds a fantastic segment.

If I ever get to do part of a worldie that's the area I'd like to visit. I assume the itinerary includes the Pacific islands followed by the "Antipodes", then the Far East, returning via India?

Oh, and it's NEVER too early to get excited about a cruise! :D
Yes that's right 3 Pacific ports, 2 in NZ, 4 in OZ then a few in Far East , finishing with Mumbai, Oman and Dubai.

We chose these segments to keep it under 60 days away. We have already done the Caribbean and Panama Canal so flying to LA cut the cruise by about 24 days. The last segment from Dubai goes to Sharm, through the Suez then a few of Med ports and home.

Sue

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Yep, you've definitely chosen the best leg!

You'll have a brilliant time. Have you any plans in any ports yet?

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Just starting researching the ports. I want to do some snorkelling whilst away so trying to find out the best places for that. Don't want to spend all our time on the beaches as lots more to see. I would like to climb Sydney harbour bridge at least part way if not all the way. Also the the Petronis tower is on the wish list.
Any suggestions most welcome.

Sue

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

If going to Auckland, do go up the Skytower. it's a great view, and you can do a Skywalk or Skyjump too. I did both as a 40th birthday present.

http://www.skyjump.co.nz/

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Just checked your itinerary, and yes Auckland is on.

You also go to Bay of Islands in NZ which is pretty. There, the obvious place to go to is the Waitangi Treaty Grounds in Pahia where the Maoris signed a historical treaty with the British. You'll probably get to see a cultural performance - including a hakka.

http://www.waitangi.net.nz/

If that doesn't float your boat, then there are boat trips to the "Hole in the Wall" feature on an island - the trip also nearly almost always sees dolphins close up.

Another possibility? is to go to the far northern part of North Island (Cape Reinga) where the Indian Ocean meets the Pacific. May also include a 4 wheel drive on 90 Mile Beach and some dune surfing!

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Thanks for that Romig. The Look and leap looks great. Another one on my wish list.

Sue

Superann
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Superann »

Hallo again Sue
I have just posted a message to you on my Strictly thread. As I said I am very envious of your itinerary which includes New Zealand. I spent 3 months in NZ a few years ago - my son lives there - and we did all the things that Romig1 is recommending to you. We didn't bungee jump but we did go up the Sky Tower in Auckland. We also did the hole in the rock trip in the Bay of Islands, visited the Waitangi Treaty House at Pahai (a very pretty little place) and went right up to Cape Rheinga, on a coach trip where the coach drives back down along the 90 mile beach. I would love to go again, but can't afford to cruise there, and can't face the long flight that would be necessary otherwise. I did a slide show and talk on our New Zealand trip to our local Church Fellowship group. Went down very well!
Ann

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Ann, yes all those places and trips sound good. The reason we chose the cruise was because we wanted to see NZ and OZ as well as the Pacific islands but couldn't face the long flight. The LA flight will be about 15 hours which is more than enough but we are going to upgrade on that one.

Sue

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Great news today. Our TA has rung to say our outbound flights are now booked. We are flying from Manchester to Heathrow with BA the day before and staying overnight in the Renaissance Hotel, then flights to LA with BA and managed to upgrade to World Traveller Plus. The inbound flights from Dubai won't be available till mid April but it was the out bounds we wanted to upgrade on because of the length of the flight.

We booked this cruise mid September so nearly 6 months gone already with 11 months to go.

Sue

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Suekersh wrote:
... then flights to LA with BA and managed to upgrade to World Traveller Plus ...
We just love those ' Big Boy ' seats, we even delay booking our Cruise until the upgrades are bookable :thumbup:

ps ... there is a very good Duty Free at the Airport in Dubia :shh: :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi MOB,

You are so well travelled I would love to 'pick your brains' about flights, airports, booking seats, duty frees, etc. as well as some of our ports of call.

We have cruised a lot but only with P & O and have only flown from Manchester on their charter flights to the Caribbean. This will be a whole new experience for us. I have only been to Heathrow once before and that was only to drop someone off.

Sue

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Suekersh wrote:
... I would love to 'pick your brains' about flights, airports, booking seats, duty frees, etc. as well as some of our ports of call
Ask away, will be pleased to help as indeed will others ;)

If it was us doing the flight to LA ... we would fly out of Manchester but stay over in the T5 Sofitel Hotel as this is within easy walking distance of the T5 Check-In desks, just arrange for a Bell Boy to arrive with an Airport trolley at the appointed time and off you go.

You could also wander over to T5 in the evening for a Pubby type meal or a taste alike Italian if the Sofitel options do not suit you.

:wave:

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi MOB,
We have booked the Renaissance hotel as advised by TA and P & O is this still walkable to T5. We will need to find somewhere to eat for dinner.

Sue

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

My understanding is that this 4* Hotel is located on the perimeter of Heathrow Airport and a transfer will be required.

According to the booking agent we use, ' Holiday Extras ', the transfer will take 5 > 10 minutes and they operate every 45 minutes.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote:
If it was us doing the flight to LA ... we would fly out of Manchester but stay over in the T5 Sofitel Hotel ...
Erm - there is no T5 at Manchester, unless they have just built one :!:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
If it was us doing the flight to LA ... we would fly out of Manchester but stay over in the T5 Sofitel Hotel ...
Erm - there is no T5 at Manchester, unless they have just built one :!:
Erm ... Sue is ( is not :oops: ) flying from Manchester to London Heathrow / is staying overnight in the Hotel / is then flying from Heathrow T5 to LA using BA :?:

ps ... see #15 :wave:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

OK :oops: :oops:

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Mob. Yes we have been researching this. There is a gastro pub a few minutes from the hotel called The Magpie. A John Barras pub so will probably head for there.

Do you know if because we are travelling BA from MAN TO LHR then LHR TO LAX will we need to reclaim luggage at LHR.

It would be good if we only had hand luggage with us overnight.

Thanks for your help.

Sue

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Suekersh wrote:
Hi Mob. Yes we have been researching this. There is a gastro pub a few minutes from the hotel called The Magpie. A John Barras pub so will probably head for there.

Do you know if because we are travelling BA from MAN TO LHR then LHR TO LAX will we need to reclaim luggage at LHR.

It would be good if we only had hand luggage with us overnight.

Thanks for your help.

Sue
We used to live in Cheshire and have flown from Manchester many times to South Africa, the USA and Canada so would advise that when you check-in you request that your ' Hold ' luggage is forwarded on to LA ... it is not a problem as far as I am concerned.

The issue arises at the ' First ' point of entry so in this instance you could NOT direct your luggage on to Las Vegas via LA for example.

By the way you have double hand luggage allowances on BA's Big Boy seats :thumbup: :wave:

Return to “World Cruises”