Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Discussions about anything related to Britannia
User avatar

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1187
Joined: April 2013
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by emjay45 » 30 Jul 2019, 21:48

I'm afraid this latest episode hasn't really surprised me. Although we've never witnessed anything of the sort on the cruises we've had. We liked the Oriana and the Aurora. Our last cruise with P&O was on the Oceana. While we never encountered drunks we did encounter rude and ignorant people, which is why we now cruise with Cunard. I'd never book a cruise with P&O again.

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9903
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Stephen » 31 Jul 2019, 07:15

emjay45 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 21:48
I'm afraid this latest episode hasn't really surprised me. Although we've never witnessed anything of the sort on the cruises we've had. We liked the Oriana and the Aurora. Our last cruise with P&O was on the Oceana. While we never encountered drunks we did encounter rude and ignorant people, which is why we now cruise with Cunard. I'd never book a cruise with P&O again.

Agree with you emjay. And I have to say it's often the elderly clientele.
Last edited by Stephen on 31 Jul 2019, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5921
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by david63 » 31 Jul 2019, 08:15

emjay45 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 21:48
we did encounter rude and ignorant people,
I don't believe that P&O have the monopoly in that area.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3043
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by barney » 31 Jul 2019, 10:11

We've only witnessed one particularly bad passenger in the cruises that we've done.

That was on a Music Festival at Sea cruise to Canaries.

She was eventually put off the ship after warnings.

Generally, we have found that the vast majority are nice, wonderful people and would never let a tiny majority ruin our trip.

Funnly enough, Mrs B and I were discussing objectionable people last night.
she had a customer who, for some reason was quite aggressive and it upset her a little bit.
I asked her how many lovely folk had been in that day.
She replied all of them except her.
So, I said, concentrate on the nice ones and forget the odd horrible one.

It's too easy to become obsessed about some trivial incident at the expense of good memories.

Actually, the best put down I've evr heard was on Oceana.

In the buffet, at lady got to the cup station and there was no cups.
She looked towards a waiter and clapped her hands together to get his attention (how rude )

He walked across slowly and said to her " has something wonderful happened Madam, as I think I've just got a round of applause "

Brilliant !

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9903
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Stephen » 31 Jul 2019, 10:44

I'd have clapped back while saying 'is it someone's birthday' 😁

User avatar

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3789
Joined: January 2013
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Dancing Queen » 31 Jul 2019, 10:54

Stephen wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 07:15
emjay45 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 21:48
I'm afraid this latest episode hasn't really surprised me. Although we've never witnessed anything of the sort on the cruises we've had. We liked the Oriana and the Aurora. Our last cruise with P&O was on the Oceana. While we never encountered drunks we did encounter rude and ignorant people, which is why we now cruise with Cunard. I'd never book a cruise with P&O again.

Agree with you emjay. And I have to say it's often the elderly clientele.
I would have to agree too, there are several reasons we became disillusioned with P&O but rude and ignorant people was also a deciding factor :roll: I'm sure every cruise line have their fair share of these folk but imo we were seeing it more and more and it isn't what we expect from what is supposed to be an upmarket holiday.

It is very often children/families who get the blame but I've never had a problem with children just enjoying themselves, I have however had a problem ( not personally ) with the 'elderly clientele' who seem to think it is their right to push in front of people, be rude to both passengers and crew and generally moan about everything because they've done xx amount of cruises and consider everything should revolve around them as if it is their own private yacht :lolno:

I'm sure this type of person is in the minority and we have only once encountered such a person on our dining table, she wasn't rude to me ( I would have put her in her place if she had been ) but she was very nasty to another lady - fortunately she and her husband didn't come back after the first night so she actually did us all a favour.
Jo

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3043
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by barney » 31 Jul 2019, 10:57

I wish there was a like button on this forum DQ

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7566
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Manoverboard » 31 Jul 2019, 11:18

barney wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 10:57
I wish there was a like button on this forum DQ
You don't mean to say that you have actually found something that you do like ? :o

ps … do you happen to like the new guy that the Hornets have loaned to the Gills ?

.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 31 Jul 2019, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9807
Joined: February 2013

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 31 Jul 2019, 11:27

The loud drunks on our recent cruise were neither children nor old people. They were 20-40s

User avatar

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1187
Joined: April 2013
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by emjay45 » 31 Jul 2019, 12:11

Stephen wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 07:15
Agree with you emjay. And I have to say it's often the elderly clientele.
Well I'm no spring chicken but I like to think I've good manners and I'm not pushy or rude. Of course we've encountered rude people on all of our cruises. Let's face it they are everywhere in life. There just seemed more on that particular cruise. The worst we encountered was a 'lady' whose use of foul language aimed at my husband made me wonder why we were spending so much money to cruise with people I usually avoid. I can assure you this person was neither elderly nor in fact a lady.
Last edited by david63 on 31 Jul 2019, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote formatting

User avatar

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3789
Joined: January 2013
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Dancing Queen » 31 Jul 2019, 14:52

I like to think I was brought up correctly and I hope I'm seen as well mannered.

I'm no spring chicken either but I do respect others young and old alike and I could never see myself coming out with some of the 'words' we all hear every day which some seem to see as an acceptable vocabulary.

I'm afraid I can't understand people who can't string a sentence together without the use of foul language, as you say Emjay they are everywhere in life but it does make you wonder why we spend so much money to cruise with the people the majority of us usually avoid.
Jo

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7083
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by oldbluefox » 31 Jul 2019, 15:05

Well I'm no spring chicken either and don't want to be left out. However after three cruises on the larger ships and encountering some of the behaviour of other passengers which bordered very much on aggressive we decided we would rather take our chances with the rude and ignorant older people who are irritating but easier to ignore. Unfortunately I don't go along with P&O's push for larger ships to cater for anybody and everybody and much prefer something quieter and more sedate when spending my hard earned cash. Sharing my holiday with loutish and aggressive members is not my idea of a good time.

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9807
Joined: February 2013

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 31 Jul 2019, 15:15

I don't object to the larger ships. I like the choices they offer. But it does seem that the economies of scale of larger ships mean they offer the lowest prices. I suspect those who wish to sail away for a week and booze themselves silly don't look at the ship, the cruise line or the itinerary. Just the bottom line price. Which is why Aurora etc are less likely to become booze cruises.

I know Facebook is not representative of the whole population but it does worry me that the biggest number of posts on the P&O related groups are about the drinks package, how to beat it and get more for your money, how to smuggle on board more than the allowance etc. They seem to be dominant factors for some people.

It may be a small minority. But my old boss used to say that it's the flies on the cowpats that make the most noise in the field.

He's right. If you're sat in the bar enjoying a drink you don't notice the 99 quiet people. It's the loud drunk who grabs the attention. And actually I don't ever sit in the pub themed bar. We're more Planet Bar/Crow's Nest people. The loud drunks we saw were roaming the ship with their pints and pink cocktails in hand. Not pleasant. But we'll give it one more chance to see if it was a one off.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3043
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by barney » 31 Jul 2019, 15:25

Like you, we never go in the 'pub' on board.

It's not the sort of place that we would frequent on land, so wouldn't do it on holiday.

We have four pubs in Instow, two what you'd call proper pubs and two that are more eateries with bars.
Those are our preference, and luckily, actually next door to each other, so if you can't get an alfresco seat in one, just go to the other.

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5921
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by david63 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:51

I have been on both Azura and Ventura and cannot say that I have encountered any bad language. There has probably been some but nothing, but no more than walking down the high street - and far less than on the TV, that has caused me to remember it as an issue. Perhaps it is the cruise itinerary/length of cruise/time of year that are possibly contributing factors.

Yes the bad mannered, ill considerate passengers can be found on all ships (and all walks of life) and are just something that unfortunately we have to live with.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7566
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Manoverboard » 31 Jul 2019, 16:14

I'm with DQ and Emjay on this one. We definitely have many happy memories with P&O but we also decided to book elsewhere. We do like to believe that cruising can be something special but we also recognise that we will have to pay a little more to achieve it.

Some of the postings above imply that bargain seekers and cruising do not mix but during P&O's ' Give-a-way ' period there were no issues regarding loutish behaviour or excessive drinking as far as we were aware so perhaps the social climate has changed or is it simply that the binge drinkers have discovered cruising.

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9807
Joined: February 2013

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 31 Jul 2019, 17:59

Hopefully it was a one off. Maybe Wayne and Sharon got married on board and gave all their mates a drinks package in lieu of a proper reception.

We'll reserve judgment till 2022.

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9903
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Stephen » 31 Jul 2019, 18:08

It was mentioned that P&O don't allow fancy dress. Perhaps they should try telling that to some of the passengers in the evening, including hen party rig outs, or don't nurses, French maid and school girl uniforms count.......dribble. :P


daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 666
Joined: February 2013
Location: North East

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by daib GC » 31 Jul 2019, 18:45

Stephen wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 18:08
It was mentioned that P&O don't allow fancy dress. Perhaps they should try telling that to some of the passengers in the evening, including hen party rig outs, or don't nurses, French maid and school girl uniforms count.......dribble. :P
Errr Stephen those are he ones banned.


Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1665
Joined: August 2013
Location: Poole Dorset.

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by Frank Manning » 03 Aug 2019, 12:47

oldbluefox wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 15:05
Well I'm no spring chicken either and don't want to be left out. However after three cruises on the larger ships and encountering some of the behaviour of other passengers which bordered very much on aggressive we decided we would rather take our chances with the rude and ignorant older people who are irritating but easier to ignore. Unfortunately I don't go along with P&O's push for larger ships to cater for anybody and everybody and much prefer something quieter and more sedate when spending my hard earned cash. Sharing my holiday with loutish and aggressive members is not my idea of a good time.
You shared one with Sue and myself and that was enough? I do agree, that I don't want to spend in excess of £4000 on a holiday to have a load of drunken louts ruin it. I have heard tales that 'travellers' have discovered cruising and are spending £300 in an evening and then end up fighting drunk. Sorry P&O, we love the Aurora, but for me it is difficult enough to have a cruise, without this kind of publicity putting us off.

Incidentally I got your text buthave been to busy with housework, cooking etc. I'll try to reply tomorrow.


daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 666
Joined: February 2013
Location: North East

Re: Spot the Deliberate Mistakes

Post by daib GC » 03 Aug 2019, 19:13

Frank Manning wrote:
03 Aug 2019, 12:47
oldbluefox wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 15:05
Well I'm no spring chicken either and don't want to be left out. However after three cruises on the larger ships and encountering some of the behaviour of other passengers which bordered very much on aggressive we decided we would rather take our chances with the rude and ignorant older people who are irritating but easier to ignore. Unfortunately I don't go along with P&O's push for larger ships to cater for anybody and everybody and much prefer something quieter and more sedate when spending my hard earned cash. Sharing my holiday with loutish and aggressive members is not my idea of a good time.
You shared one with Sue and myself and that was enough? I do agree, that I don't want to spend in excess of £4000 on a holiday to have a load of drunken louts ruin it. I have heard tales that 'travellers' have discovered cruising and are spending £300 in an evening and then end up fighting drunk. Sorry P&O, we love the Aurora, but for me it is difficult enough to have a cruise, without this kind of publicity putting us off.

Incidentally I got your text buthave been to busy with housework, cooking etc. I'll try to reply tomorrow.
Frank, to my knowledge “Travellers” found cruising a long time ago. I was told about it 8/9 years ago. Most of the time they are perfectly fine if a little loud.

Return to “About Britannia”