New ship name

Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

New ship name

Post by anneed »

The new P&O ship will be called Brittania.

Previously the name of one of Titanic's sister ships...

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: New ship name

Post by towny44 »

Not quite, that was called Brittanic.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

xmaslisa
Cadet
Cadet

Post by xmaslisa »

I wish they'd build a new smaller ship they're all so huge!!!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Just received my e-mail promoting the new behemoth. Afraid I'm with Lisa on this one - far too big for me

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

Hate to be teacherish :problem: but the spelling is Britannia :)
Angela

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Holiday Planner wrote:
Hate to be teacherish :problem: but the spelling is Britannia :)
:lol:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

At least I was right about it ending in "a"

gouty-man
Cadet
Cadet

Britannia

Post by gouty-man »

Just watched the simulation video on the PandO website. Is that a great big prom deck I see? I only ask because the earlier artists impressions made it look like a great slab sided behemoth. Unlike some posters on this site, the size doesn't frighten me, as it gives more options for places to go and things to do, but the thought of the queues to disembark fill me with trepidation and that's without the added complication of tendering..
For that reason - I'm out. Now I just have to dampen Mrs Gouty's enthusiasm!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

gouty-man wrote:
Just watched the simulation video on the PandO website. Is that a great big prom deck I see? I only ask because the earlier artists impressions made it look like a great slab sided behemoth. Unlike some posters on this site, the size doesn't frighten me, as it gives more options for places to go and things to do, but the thought of the queues to disembark fill me with trepidation and that's without the added complication of tendering..
I can't see a prom deck? There are a couple if small terraces on either side but I expect these will be reserved for Costa Coffee and the smokers.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

A bit of a beast isn't she. Wouldn't want that parked in the garden.

Oh well, just wait for the naming invite to drop on the mat now :thumbup:

Fat chance

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Britannia

Post by qbman1 »

gouty-man wrote:
I'm not afraid of it, Mr G, just don't like the bigger ships, partly for the reasons you mentioned

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

as long as it has plenty of facilites and some decent itineraries, I dont have a problem with the look or size of the thing
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

I bet she'll be known as Tanya.

Topic author
anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed »

And I like this (from the Daily Echo) -

"Following travelling trends and customer research, Britannia will have more single cabins than any other cruise ship, many of them with private balconies."

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

anneed wrote:

"Following travelling trends and customer research, Britannia will have more single cabins than any other cruise ship, many of them with private balconies."
I wonder whether that is in percentage terms or in actual numbers? Either way, I suspect it still won't be that many....and certainly not enough to meet demand !

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

anneed wrote:

They could all be single cabins for all I care. We shan't be travelling on her for reasons I have explained many times. I suppose the big question is ' how big is the single supplement?'

Topic author
anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed »

I haven't read your earlier posts about the new ship, Quizzical Bob, but I would guess you are not keen because of her size and my first reaction would be to agree. But our shipping reporter Keith Hamilton - a man with a legendary knowledge of all things afloat - reckons she is going to be pretty special.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Big ships, medium ships, small ships. All have their pluses and minuses and I really don't mind as long as I am on them. Bring it on!!! :thumbup: :clap:

It does look as though it has a prom deck doesn't it which will be good news if it does.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I say "never say never" :clap:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The ship may be special but the Ports cannot possibly be ... rule us out bar a mini break at Getaway prices.

:thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

anneed wrote:
I haven't read your earlier posts about the new ship, Quizzical Bob, but I would guess you are not keen because of her size and my first reaction would be to agree. But our shipping reporter Keith Hamilton - a man with a legendary knowledge of all things afloat - reckons she is going to be pretty special.
It's not the size per se, Anne, it's the lack of outside space. As a ship gets bigger the volume goes up by the cube but the outside area hardly gets any bigger, especially when there is no tiered stern and I would assume that some of the upper space might be reserved for those paying a supplement. 3600 passengers are twice as many as the mid-size offerings such as Aurora, Oriana or Arcadia and I would suggest that Britannia has less deck space than any of these three. I have looked at the video simulation several times and I'm struggling to find anywhere to sit outside that's not in the full glare of the sun, except perhaps under the lifeboats. Nothing that I've read about the inside facilities excites me, all I need is sea, sky, fresh air and the occasional interesting port now and again.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

oldbluefox wrote:
Big ships, medium ships, small ships. All have their pluses and minuses and I really don't mind as long as I am on them. Bring it on!!! :thumbup: :clap:

It does look as though it has a prom deck doesn't it which will be good news if it does.
Couldn't agree more OBF. Can't wait for bookings to open. Probably won't do the maiden but soon after we will be on Britannia.

Not sure it has a prom deck though. It looks like the lifeboats sit on what would be the prom deck.

Sue

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Suekersh wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

Not sure it has a prom deck though. It looks like the lifeboats sit on what would be the prom deck.

Sue
Yes, it seems a bit undecided about what it is supposed to be. There are a few loungers dotted about but it's totally unrealistic. All the ones that I can see are unoccupied.

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

qbman1 wrote:
anneed wrote:

I wonder whether that is in percentage terms or in actual numbers? Either way, I suspect it still won't be that many....and certainly not enough to meet demand !
That will be 129 single cabins then as Norwegian Epic has 128!

i will believe it when i see it.

Those Epic cabins were originally marketed as bijou studios for 2 but they were just too small at 100 sqft. If ths is just marketing hype which ship has the most single cabins? a Fred Olsen?

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Suekersh wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

Sue
Yes, it seems a bit undecided about what it is supposed to be. There are a few loungers dotted about but it's totally unrealistic. All the ones that I can see are unoccupied.
Check out Royal Princess which has the same basic layout as Britannia. There is no prom deck just two terraces each side. I think access behind the lifeboats is crew only except in emergencies.

Return to “About Britannia”