Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
Msmall8824
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Epicurean Restaurant

Post by Msmall8824 »

Hello, Everyone!
I hope someone who has travelled on Britannia and dined in the Epicurean can help, please. I understand the dress code but what do gentlemen ACTUALLY wear in this restaurant on "Evening Casual" nights? Do the majority wear jackets or stick to the more casual attire?
We're on the ship late Sepember and wondering if there is a need for my husband to pack a jacket (or even suit) despite the change of dress codes. Husband would prefer to blend in with the majority.
Many thanks for any advice!
Margaret

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Epicurean Restaurant

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

When we were in there some men chose to wear jackets on casual nights but others didn't, so go with what he feels comfortable with (though not a vest and shorts!) I took a jacket but no tie.

Topic author
Msmall8824
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Msmall8824 »

Thank you, Mervyn!
I had a feeling you would be the one to know.

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Msmall8824 wrote:
Thank you, Mervyn!
I had a feeling you would be the one to know.
Will you be acquiring a monocle, Merv?

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
When we were in there some men chose to wear jackets on casual nights but others didn't, so go with what he feels comfortable with (though not a vest and shorts!) I took a jacket but no tie.
Just seen this....... No tie has the world gone mad. ??????

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Msmall8824 wrote:
Hello, Everyone!
I hope someone who has travelled on Britannia and dined in the Epicurean can help, please. I understand the dress code but what do gentlemen ACTUALLY wear in this restaurant on "Evening Casual" nights? Do the majority wear jackets or stick to the more casual attire?
We're on the ship late Sepember and wondering if there is a need for my husband to pack a jacket (or even suit) despite the change of dress codes. Husband would prefer to blend in with the majority.
Margaret
We often dine at the alternative dining venues and always adhere to the dress code of the evening, even if we are enjoying the Indian menu in the buffet we dress in formal attire on a formal evening, as do many other passengers. So many other venues require you to be dressed accordingly to gain entry so it's not worth the hassle of changing clothes if you want to have a drink in a bar where the dress code of the day is enforced

So, to answer your question ,evening casual in alternative dining venues is a little more formal than that in the MDR, in our experience. Most gents wear a jacket or at the very least a smart long sleeved shirt. However, the choice is ultimately up to you.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Like Merv, I'd wear a jacket but no tie or smart strides and my best 'pulling shirt' ;)
Empty vessels .. and all that

Topic author
Msmall8824
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Msmall8824 »

Thanks, one and all.
A jacket it is then!

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Msmall8824 wrote:
Hello, Everyone!
Margaret
Good afternoon Margaret.

While on Britannia my wife and I used the Epicurean twice - they have alternating menus and we wanted to try both.

I'm a keen photographer (you never know when the odd snap will come in handy). I have checked back through my Britannia file photographs and on both visits I'm happy to confirm for you that every gentleman in the restaurant wore a jacket.

Should you be interested I did a review. There is a small section on The Epicurean...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... en-cruise/

I hope you find it informative.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

That was excellent Richard
Cheers
Empty vessels .. and all that

Return to “About Britannia”