Reports about cruises on Britannia

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

The Britannia Maiden (part 7)

Post by Gill W »

Cartagena and Cadiz - what a difference a day makes

Our last two ports were Cartagena and Cadiz.

We decided to do an excursion in Cartagena - A Tale of Two Cities. It was one of those tours where nothing much is seen, a lot of time was spent at a refreshment stop, plus it was raining. In retrospect, I'm not even sure why we booked the tour..... Must remember to be more selective in future! If we ever went to Cartagena again, we'd do a walk around the sea front area, as it looked very nice.

Cadiz was completely different. With this being a maiden cruise, I had imagined that the ports we were visiting would have made a bit of a do about our maiden call. This had been lacking until Cadiz. They welcomed us with a tug boat with water canon and a band was waiting on the quayside for us. A bit later the band was marching up and down the quayside and then through the town. At last a bit of maiden cruise hoop-la!

After we had followed the band for a while, we walked round the town and along the sea front. It was also a very sunny day. When we got back we were able to sit out on loungers for a while. It was probably one of our most enjoyable days on the cruise.

At was also the day for the Great British Sailaway. I know a lot of people like to look down on this particular activity, but it is harmless fun, and there was a good atmosphere at the Sailaway.

We were a little late in sailing, as all the tours were late back from Seville.

For my additional comments today, I'll talk about food on board.

This is my experience as a special diet person - for a 'normal' person the experience will be different.

Since last year, I've needed to restrict salt in my diet due to a medical condition. My first cruise since this happened was on Arcadia at Christmas. On Arcadia, it was brilliant - they cooked me the whole meal that I selected, but without the salt. I was so happy, and felt that I hadn't missed out at all.

This time, it's been a little different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that they cater for my requirements, but I have been rather disappointed with some aspects.

On the first evening, I asked for a steak, which they served with plain vegetables, instead of the more usual chips, mushrooms, peas and tomato.

I thought it was a bit odd, but didn't think much of it at the time.

I pre-ordered fish ( can't remember what fish) for the next night, and when it was served the next evening, it came with plain boiled potatoes, broccoli, and carrots. I was sort of surprised, as I was sure those weren't the vegetables that were on the menu.

Next night I had pre ordered sole with sauce, with ( I think) courgettes, and Mediterranean vegetables. I got plain sole, with the same boiled potatoes, broccoli, and carrots.

I was actually eating plainer than I do at home!

I had a little word with the head waiter, to explain that the only thing that I can't eat is salt, I can have everything else, and I don't have to stick to plain food.

It did get better for a few days, I had things like beef goulash and chicken tikka masala.

I've also had things like salmon and steak which I specified to be served with chips.

But all accompanying vegetables are always boiled potatoes, broccoli and carrots!

Last night I had ordered beer battered cod and chips, and I was really looking forward to it. But what I got was plain cod, a bit of tomato sauce and the obligatory boiled potatoes broccoli and carrots. To say I was gutted was putting it mildly!

I'll be giving them full feedback, but suffice it to say, it'll be some time before I ever want to eat boiled potatoes, broccoli and carrots!

Because of my diet it has meant we stick to the main dining room more. The Epicurean menu that I saw had starters that were all unsuitable for me. It was all smoked, cured or cheese. Same with the small plates in Glasshouse, and I don't really fancy the location of the Glasshouse for the evening meal.

We have been to the Limelight Club. They were kind enough to do me a tomato soup for starters, as none of the starters on the menu were right for me.

This evening (Thursday), we are going to Sindhu, which I'm really looking forward to.

I've pre-ordered my meal, and there shouldn't be a single piece of broccoli in sight!

We have had the small plate menu at Sindhu one lunch time. Indian food doesn't have so much cheese and cured meats, so I treated myself to three small plates, without pre-ordering, but unfortunately, I can't do this on a regular basis.

It's not p&o's fault that I have to watch what I eat, but it'd be nice if they served the same vegetables to us special diet people, that they do to everyone else. Special diet people like variety too!
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: The Britannia Maiden (part 7)

Post by oldbluefox »

I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you had with your food, Gill but I have to admit your account of your trials and tribulations had me in stitches. Very funny for me but not if you are on the receiving end.

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

It could have been much worse. If it'd been Brussels sprouts instead of broccoli I would have had to stage a mutiny! :lol:
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Gill W wrote:
It could have been much worse. If it'd been Brussels sprouts instead of broccoli I would have had to stage a mutiny! :lol:
If it had been brussel sprouts the whole ship would have staged a mutiny!! :lol:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A ' Great British Sailaway ' is all well and good ... but in Cadiz of all places given the nautical history of the place :lol:

ps ... I hate broccoli with a passion, regardless of why it was being served :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

oldbluefox wrote:
Gill W wrote:
It could have been much worse. If it'd been Brussels sprouts instead of broccoli I would have had to stage a mutiny!
If it had been brussel sprouts the whole ship would have staged a mutiny!! :lol:
But it would have been an interesting new renewable power source! :lol:

Manoverboard wrote:
A ' Great British Sailaway ' is all well and good ... but in Cadiz of all places given the nautical history of the place :lol:

ps ... I hate broccoli with a passion, regardless of why it was being served :thumbdown:
Once you start delving into history, there's virtually no location that is suitable for the Great British Sailaway! :lol:
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Isn't it always the last port of call, irrespective of history? Paul Brown did remark on mooring a ship with a huge Union Jack on the bow in Gibraltar! The weather was certainly more British than Spanish!

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”