Maiden Cruise

Britannia cruises in 2015

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Maiden Cruise

Post by Gill W »

At least 'prison hulk' is a more inventive insult than the standard 'floating block of flats' :lol:
Gill

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

... or Butlin's at Sea

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I had to laugh ,when on another cruise forum, somebody described the trend for the floating resorts as " social housing projects for the over privileged"
Nihil Obstat

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

As a former Technical Exec of Rank Leisure who owned Butlins in the 80's / 90’s, I take great exception to folk assuming that a Butlins Holiday was little more than a visit to a hedonistic pleasure resort.

In their time Butlin's provided holidays, for millions of people, for all types and for all classes of people.

If you are likening pando’s new ship Britannia to mirror such a resort, then you are openly displaying class prejudice which is utterly intolerable!!

Do not assume that cruising is only for the select. Please let me know which cruise you are next on so that I can avoid it. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Rab C Nesbitt wrote:
As a former Technical Exec of Rank Leisure who owned Butlins in the 80's / 90’s, I take great exception to folk assuming that a Butlins Holiday was little more than a visit to a hedonistic pleasure resort.

In their time Butlin's provided holidays, for millions of people, for all types and for all classes of people.

If you are likening pando’s new ship Britannia to mirror such a resort, then you are openly displaying class prejudice which is utterly intolerable!!

Do not assume that cruising is only for the select. Please let me know which cruise you are next on so that I can avoid it. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Nice comment Rab.

Though I never made it to Butlins in my youth I recognise that it played an integral part in the evolution of British holidays.

Maybe in 40 years time the next generation will introduce 'Royal Carib' as some kind of a 'slur label' for those who holiday in the more popular holiday places.

Each of course to their own and to their budgets. Some of, fortunately, have the ability to remain choosey but never forget our roots.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

[quote="Rab C Nesbitt"].

[quote]

Don't worry, Rab.

Butlins on Sea is a standard insult bandied around by unimaginative people who think they are being smart. It's been around for several years now, so most people yawn when they see it an move on.

The other standard insult is 'floating block of flats', which I mentioned - so David came back with the other standard insult - it was just a joke, I'm sure !
Gill

Return to “Britannia Cruises 2015”