My Trip to India in 2014

This is a link from my blog about my trip to India in 2014

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Trip to India in 2014

Post by david63 »

One of the perks of owing this site is that I can do things such as link the blog on my personal site to this forum.

Next year (2014) we are planning a major trip touring India which is probably the equivalent of doing a Worldie (certainly from a cost point of view). If anyone is the remotest bit interested you can see the itinerary here and once we start the trip then that page will get updated.

I will do my best to try and bore you all to death with this.

======================================================================

The Itinerary

22.10.14 - Kolkata
24.10.14 - Varanasi
26.10.14 - Delhi
28.10.14 - Agra
30.10.14 - Ranthambore
01.11.14 - Jaipur
03.11.14 - Chhatra Sagar
05.11.14 - Jodhpur
07.11.14 - Udaipur
09.11.14 - Mumbai
11.11.14 - Madurai (via Chennai)
13.11.14 - Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
14.11.14 - Cochin
15.11.14 - Backwaters cruise
18.11.14 - Cochin
23.11.14 - Home

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: My Trip to India in 2014

Post by Dancing Queen »

It looks like there will be an enormous amount of planning David, how long is the trip ( or has that yet to be decided ?? )

Have you decided to DIY or to go with a UK/India tour operator.
Jo

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

I'm sorry, David, but I simply must point out that you have clearly got your dates mixed up.

India are actually touring England next year and England do not go to India until late 2016.

Your proposed itinerary looks OK and fortunately it is not too late to change the proposed dates.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I was fascinated to read your blog about all the preparation you've been doing.

Regarding the "cheap" insurance quote, if anything had gone wrong, I am sure the insurer would have found a way of saying you weren't covered so, although you paid a lot more, I think it best that you did query it.

One word of advice - don't eat any food from street stalls. A friend of mine bought a samosa from a street vendor - the food poisoning he contracted caused him to wretch so much he burst a blood vessel in his stomach and nearly died.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Regarding the "cheap" insurance quote, if anything had gone wrong, I am sure the insurer would have found a way of saying you weren't covered so, although you paid a lot more, I think it best that you did query it.
I queried this at the time and was told that as I had the quote in writing and both parties would have agreed to it then there would have been a contract and they would have had to honour it.
Silver_Shiney wrote:
One word of advice - don't eat any food from street stalls. A friend of mine bought a samosa from a street vendor - the food poisoning he contracted caused him to wretch so much he burst a blood vessel in his stomach and nearly died.
No intention of doing - most of the time we are staying in a minimum of 5* hotels so food should be OK - albeit expensive :(

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Make sure you get your doctor to prescribe Ciproxin for your trip, and hope you don't need to take it. It would be a good insurance. :thumbup:
Jay

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

We've just booked India & Nepal tour for March next year ... we've booked it with Riviera Travel, the company we did California & The Golden West with last October :D

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Great that you're going this year David, hopefully we'll be able to get tips regarding Indian Visa :thumbup:

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Wina G wrote:
Great that you're going this year David, hopefully we'll be able to get tips regarding Indian Visa :thumbup:
From what I have been reading some of the rules for Indian Visas are changing so it may not be as difficult - in any event your tour operator should be able to guide you - oh sorry forgot, they will charge and that goes against R's principles :lol:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

david63 wrote:
Wina G wrote:
From what I have been reading some of the rules for Indian Visas are changing so it may not be as difficult - in any event your tour operator should be able to guide you - oh sorry forgot, they will charge and that goes against R's principles :lol:
I suspect we'll play it safe and go in person to Manchester. The thought of posting the passports fills me with foreboding.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hope you like curry David :thumbup:

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

it may come as a surprise but not all Indian meals comprise of curry!

For training we have been working our way through Rick Stein's India book which I am told is about as near to Indian food that you can get outside of India.

Return to “David's Trip to India”