The Insurance Fiasco

This is a link from my blog about my trip to India in 2014

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Insurance Fiasco

Post by david63 »

Before we can go ahead and book there is the small point of having travel insurance in place. Now this is not normally a major stumbling block but I very soon come to the conclusion that all the cards are stacked against us. If you are …

· under 60 years of age
· have no medical problems
· travelling on a trip of 30 days or less
· not booking more than 12 months in advance
· not spending more than £5k on the trip

… then you can take your pick of travel insurance policies – even having one or two of these factors to take into consideration there is plenty of choice, however factoring all of these into the equation and you have problems.

I then spent at least two days trawling the Internet looking at every travel insurance site that I could find only to be met with the same answer “sorry we are not able to quote for this trip”. I even resorted to contacting some local insurance brokers who came back with the same story. By this stage we were getting desperate and were considering changing the itinerary or even cancelling the whole idea. Then all of a sudden something caught my eye on one of the sites I was visiting – the words “bespoke travel insurance” – this was definitely my “Eureka” moment.

Once I started to contact the “bespoke” travel insurance brokers things started to move although not in the way that I would have liked. The first quote that I got was for £1,600 and was for an annual policy which would have needed to be renewed next year. Then I got one for £1,300 for trip – this was sounding better and finally a third one for £1,500, so at least we had had some quotes and they were all talking roughly the same sort of numbers.

I then had a phone call out of the blue from one of the companies that I had been enquiring with online who offered to quote for the trip. No harm in getting another one I thought, so talked with the girl about what our requirements were. A couple of days later she came back to me with a quote of £230, to which my response was “How much?” – more in shock at the low price than anything else, coupled with the fact that the policy was with the insurance company that one of the other quotes was with. Now this is where the fiasco begins and where I wish I had kept my mouth shut. Because the quote was so low she offered to check it – anyway to cut a long story short after three days of backwards and forwarding they realised that they were reading the quote wrong from the underwriters (told you so came to mind). Anyway due to them missing the insurance tax off the quote I did manage to get the insurance for about £1,200 – had I kept my mouth shut I could have saved myself £1k on this as, in the event of a claim, there would have been nothing that they could have done about it.

Cockers43
Cadet
Cadet

Re: The Insurance Fiasco

Post by Cockers43 »

Can I suggest anyone having trouble with travel insurance checks out American Express.
We have for our Arcadia trip (96 days) next Jan (70 and 68 year olds visiting USA), not insuring the trip but taking out Annual Prestige cover which is cheaper. The cover encompasses the whole cost of the cruise and 120 days single trip in a total of up to 240 day cover.
Its not cheap (ca £1K for the two of us) but it meets our needs. :thumbup:
Ian
Ian
Booby Boogie Boarder

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Smurfy
given the overall cost of you grand adventure and the places you are visiting, I would be looking for the best insurance policy possible, to ensure every aspect of the tour was covered
whilst £1200 sounds expensive, it would be worth every single penny should something serious happen in India

yes you could have saved money but I would wager they would have sussed it and sent you an extra bill later on
Nihil Obstat

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

David, re: your last sentence, this catches a lot of people out. It is only when they go to make a claim and finally get around to reading their documents they find out that the only thing they ended up being insured for was being sexually assaulted by a rhinoceros while hang-gliding underwater. There is an onus on the person buying the insurance to check their documentation to ensure it is correct.

At the minute my insurance company is making me jump through hopes because I needed to get a couple of antibiotic injections when on holiday (next time I am taking some antibiotics with me). So far they have sent me about 16 pages of forms to be completed and demanded receipts and documentation I do not have (who keeps boarding passes?) .. and the joke is the amount of my claim against them is £0.00 ... I paid the excess to the hotel and the doctor discussed plans with the insurance company. If they mail me again I will tell them to deal with the hotel and stop wasting my time.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The point is though Ken that the people that I was buying the insurance through admitted that had I paid the £230 for the insurance then they would have had to accept that it was their fault and stand the loss.

Anyway we all know that any insurance is only proven to be good/bad/right/wrong when we have to make a claim - which hopefully we will not be having to do.

Return to “David's Trip to India”