Kolkata - Day 1

This is a link from my blog about my trip to India in 2014

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kolkata - Day 1

Post by david63 »

We arrived after a semi traumatic flight. The plane from Manchester was delayed for about an hour due to the high winds which, in turn, meant that we were an hour late landing in Dubai. Now this in itself would not have been a major issue but it meant that we only had about 40 minutes to catch the next flight. No worries on that score as they had given us “Fast track” cards on the plane for going through the airport.

Off the plane we get and make our way to the transit area only to find that there is no Fast track lane so in the queue we stood with everyone else. Fortunately the queue at security was moving reasonably quickly and once through that it was a question of which gate. Ah a display board – gate B27 it was so off at a gallop we went trying to find gate B27 (which just happens to be about as far one end of the airport that you can go). Oh goody we are at the gate with five minutes to spare – what is that it says at the gate Adelaide???? Nooooooooooo we are going to Kolkata. Unbeknown to us the gate should have been C27 (it definitely said B27) OK no big deal we still have five minutes, now where id C27 we ask? Go to the end, down the steps and turn left (or right – I cannot remember now!). Now in airport design terms B27 and C27 are about as far removed from one another as they can be.

To cut a long story short we did manage to get to the gate (just) in time and did in fact arrive in Kolkata about 30 minutes early.

One interesting thing to note was that they were making each passenger complete a health declaration regarding Ebola. All paperwork complete off we go to the immigration desk only to find that we were the first in the queue, with the only problem being that I had not put my mobile phone number on any of the forms – for a very good reason, I have not got it with me – good old Indian bureaucratic logic prevails – just put any phone number down. Once that hurdle was overcome we were through immigration, luggage collected, driver found and out of the airport in less than half an hour.

Our first experience of Kolkata was the drive from the airport to the hotel – not something that I would recommend for those of a nervous disposition. To say that driving in India is different from home could be classed as a major understatement. More I think through good luck than anything else we arrived at the hotel (Oberoi Grand) and within a short space of time we were in our room in no time at all having been greeted by what seemed like every employee of the hotel. British hotels could learn a lot from how this hotel (and probably others) in India operate – nothing is too much trouble (or so it seems) but I suspect that there may well be ulterior motives afoot here.

This afternoon we had not really arranged to do very much due to being tired but the one thing that we did have planned was a visit to the Commonwealth War Grave’s Cemetery where my uncle is buried having died during WWII. This was preceded by a visit to the local flower market to get some flowers for the grave. No problem here apart from the fact that tomorrow is Dwalli (sp?) – one of the major festivals in India and one where many, many flowers are used – think buying flowers the day before Valentine’s Day!

That completed the rest of the day is relaxing/sleeping in readiness for the start of our sightseeing tomorrow.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Kolkata - Day 1

Post by GillD46 »

An eventful start then! Hopefully, things will now run more smoothly.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata

The Oberoi Grand, fondly referred as the 'Grande Dame of Chowringhee' offers the ultimate classical residence in the City of Joy. This heritage hotel’s neo-classical facade and grand pillared entrance mark a successful fusion of classical Victorian and traditional Indian style and reflect the city’s colonial history.

Oh, I say ... how the other half live :lol:

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Mob, it's alright for some, isn't it!! :lol:

Reading David's exploits at the airport remind me why I enjoy the cruise experience.

Pleased you eventually managed to get there David and look forward to reading more reports of your travels.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I wondered if you might be delayed, having seen planes trying to come into Manchester to land it looked pretty scary.

You're there now though so enjoy every minute of it, I will look forward to reading your reports along the way.
Jo

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Hopefully things will now run smoother, but at least you got there ok.

How were your flights once actually on board?

Amazing how it is assumed that everyone has a mobile phone, and that the new form doesn't even allow for the fact that some people don't!

Looking forward to the next installment.

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

:thumbup:

Ray

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

That drive from the airport and indeed every day from my hotel to the office was a eyes closed and hope for the best moment and that was the driver ....... :crazy: :lol: enjoy the rest of your trip and Diwali...
Jenni

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Just catching up with your reports. Great start. Dubai airport is huge you must have been shattered by the time you got on the plane.

Return to “David's Trip to India”