Chhatra Sagar - Day 2

This is a link from my blog about my trip to India in 2014

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chhatra Sagar - Day 2

Post by david63 »

OK I know I said that I did not want to be woken at “silly o’clock” anymore but when you are woken by the dawn chorus of the local wildlife and you look out of the window (yes we have a posh tent with windows) and see the sunrise over the lake then that is perfectly acceptable!

After breakfast we went out to see the local farm and village. The first stop was at the farm where these two old farmers were sowing cumin seeds for the crop later in the year. I am sure that they are India’s answer to Morecambe and Wise. They claimed not to be able to speak English but could understand enough to tell the guide (who as a child grew up with all of these people) off when he was telling us incorrect facts.

It was interesting firstly to see the old ways of farming and how the irrigation from the dam, where our camp site is, is helping the farmers. The main problem was that because of the time of year there was not really a lot going on. Also of interest was seeing the houses that these two lived in – not exactly palatial but not hovels either. There are many myths being spread about the state that India is in and, from what we have been told, most of it is government propaganda – it is very difficult to be able to separate fact from fiction.

After that we went to the local village where we saw children playing and enjoying themselves (they liked nothing more than having their photos taken), the local silversmith (who just happened to pop back into his workshop as we arrived and then very quickly produced his entire stock of items already made), the potter, the goatherd and the flax spinner.

Somehow we tended to get the feeling that all of this was a show put on for our benefit. We then drove back to the camp through the desert before spending the rest of the day doing nothing.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Chhatra Sagar - Day 2

Post by Manoverboard »

All that money and you are sleeping in a tent :shock:

But I do hope you purchased a few packs of cumin seeds .... so much nicer than the powdered stuff.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “David's Trip to India”