Balmoral Norovirus

Anything about Fred Olsen cruises

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Balmoral Norovirus

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I see Norovirus is back in the news, this time on Balmoral. What interested me about the story in the papers today was the person who said they got it within hours of boarding and now want all their money back. Given that the usual incubation period for NV is 24 to 48 hours i.e. days rather than hours, I wonder if it has occurred to this person it is possible, indeed probable, they contracted it ashore and they may even be the person who brought it aboard?

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Balmoral Norovirus

Post by Meg 50 »

nah

"it's never MY fault -I just moan and demand compo and a space in the Daily Wail" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M&T - you are SO right!
Meg
x

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I often wish that somewhere, someday a cruise company will not take the easy PR option of handing out a few quid in refunds, future cruise credits etc. Cruise ships do not generate Norovirus out of thin air. Once one has been deep cleaned it takes someone to bring it back on board. I'd like someone to carefully record all cases, to identify the first one reported and if it is before the possible on board incubation time pass all subsequent claims for compensstion onto that person. Harsh? Yes. But if it got widely reported in the press it might focus minds on honesty when completing those health forms at embarkation and simple hand hygiene.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Too many people handle too many things. Tongs at buffets, cruise cards at security. Lift buttons, handrails, door handles...

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Too many people handle too many things. Tongs at buffets, cruise cards at security. Lift buttons, handrails, door handles...
But that applies in all walks of life.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
I guess it's more concentrated on a cruise ship. In the wider world the disease would spread more widely and slowly and those who start to suffer would stay at home.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It probably starts as you board .... ?

Those that got off have all been for a last minute poo but did they all wash their hands thoroughly, probably not as they are in too much of a hurry to get to the front of the queue to get off and anyway the towels are now laying in the shower tray. These passengers have pushed all the buttons and touched all the hand rails, including the rail on the boarding stairs. You get on and then touch all sorts of things as you head straight to the buffet !!!

How many people wash their hands from the time they arrive at the Gate until they get in the conservatory or wherever ... probably none bar a minority who opted to go to the infected loo en route.

It may even be a good idea to take a few sandwiches and latex gloves to eat them with prior to getting access to one's washing facilities in the cabin .... heaven forbid.

:sick:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

We are just back from a long cruise and at the beginning of each leg the coughs and colds started the rounds,it had to be brought on by the new passengers. This despite stricter monitoring of hand gel, serving people in the buffet etc for the first couple of days each time.

Last leg was 8 days across from NY and that was even worse as it was cold so no one was going outside much and the spread seemed worse than ever.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

We always bring anti viral spray, and a big pack of Dettox wipes, but it is peole's disgusting personal habits and hygiene which spoil it for everyone else. First hour on board Oceana last year I witnessed a man coming out of the toilets without washing his hands.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Frank Manning wrote:
We always bring anti viral spray, and a big pack of Dettox wipes, but it is peole's disgusting personal habits and hygiene which spoil it for everyone else. First hour on board Oceana last year I witnessed a man coming out of the toilets without washing his hands.
We all carry anti viral gel with us at all times and I clean our cabins with Dettol as soon as I get on board. I always despair at the poor hygiene I witness from passengers and staff too. A ship is not a healthy environment I'm afraid. :(

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Quizzical Bob wrote:
david63 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
I guess it's more concentrated on a cruise ship. In the wider world the disease would spread more widely and slowly and those who start to suffer would stay at home.
Certainly noro is more difficult to contain in closed environments such as cruise ships, nursing homes, hospitals etc but is a very virulent bug anywhere. But it has to start with someone, it doesn't come from nowhere and the best defence is scrupulous hygiene. Even that's not 100% guarantee. We are meticulous but both caught it once in a very good hotel. As QB says things like lift buttons are one culprit, but even if they are regularly sanitised they can become colonised again as soon as another person touches the button after another infected surface or their bottom!. That's why they need a pretty much empty ship for a few hours on turn round day to methodically go over the whole ship.. But it's still outrageous to blame cruise companies and demand compensation, especially when the science suggests one probably contracted it before boarding.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I was talking to my wife last night about the spread of the Noro virus and she explained that the noro virus can stay in your body for weeks even after getting over the initial symptoms. Bit of a messy old business but apparently your poo can play host to this virus for weeks.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Poo ?

I didn't check for any of that, too busy throwing up :lol:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Oh stop whinging Mob.....you aint had real norovirus unless you've had a double evacuation like l did.....but please don't tell the others l've said that :lol:

:wave:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I often wish that somewhere, someday a cruise company will not take the easy PR option of handing out a few quid in refunds, future cruise credits etc. Cruise ships do not generate Norovirus out of thin air. Once one has been deep cleaned it takes someone to bring it back on board. I'd like someone to carefully record all cases, to identify the first one reported and if it is before the possible on board incubation time pass all subsequent claims for compensation onto that person. Harsh? Yes. But if it got widely reported in the press it might focus minds on honesty when completing those health forms at embarkation and simple hand hygiene.
But that would just mean no one would report it..........
Meg
x

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

It's pretty obvious if you've got it! If you didn't report it I reckon your cabin steward might! But you know what I mean. I don't seriously suggest cruise companies start suing customers but I think they should be slower to roll over when passengers start blaming them

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

OK here's the scenario....you cone down with the norovirus, throw up for two days, then start feeling better the next day... which is just as well as you and your partner have a cruise booked the following day.

Do you cancel....?

I'll tell you what I would do after you have told me what you would do. You've got till tomorrow evening to give me an honest answer.

Regards

OL

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I wouldn't cancel but would admit to it on the form at checkin. If they denied me boarding P&O would give me my money back, but more likely they would monitor me closely and perhaps insist I eat room service for a couple of days. It might disrupt my cruise a bit but that's preferable to me being responsible for 300 other people being ill, with the risk, small but nonetheless real,, of a vulnerable person dieing. Your turn.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Merv...it was an open question so I shall wait and see what other members would do before giving you my answer...

rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by rita17 »

I wonder how many passengers are wandering round the ship who have been confined to their cabin. We were on a cruise a couple of years ago when a man was trying to get a drink and apparently he wasn't served as his card was blocked. Can't quite remember which ship this was on but think it was probably on Oriana or Balmoral.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

rita17 wrote:
I wonder how many passengers are wandering round the ship who have been confined to their cabin. We were on a cruise a couple of years ago when a man was trying to get a drink and apparently he wasn't served as his card was blocked. Can't quite remember which ship this was on but think it was probably on Oriana or Balmoral.
Confined to cabin usually means taking their cabin cards away.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
rita17 wrote:
Confined to cabin usually means taking their cabin cards away.
I was caught up in the Oriana epidemic in December 2011. My Cruise Card was not taken away nor blocked at that time but it would be gratifying to learn that it is the case now as I know for a fact that a number of people were eating in the restaurants let alone using the bars after spending only one day in their cabins ... which was of course contra to the explicit instructions that they had been given by P&O.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We were confined to cabin when we went down with NV last year, first my wife then I followed a few days later and whilst they do not take your cards away they do ring you up, supposedly to check how you are, but I suspect it's to make sure you are still in your cabin as they ask to speak to the patient directly.
The main problems onboard are those who do not declare their sickness, thereby spreading it around the ship. It's certainly something I don't want again in a hurry although it's a very quick way of losing weight (half a stone in my case!!).
Cards are now blocked and you cannot leave the ship or buy anything until the medical centre have cleared it.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

What I don't understand is if someone has norovirus why all cabin occupants are not confined to the cabin, this might sound unfair but surely there is a risk that the person not confined could be unknowingly spreading it around the ship.
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Dancing Queen wrote:
What I don't understand is if someone has norovirus why all cabin occupants are not confined to the cabin, this might sound unfair but surely there is a risk that the person not confined could be unknowingly spreading it around the ship.
We went on the Oriana cruise with another couple but only myself and t'other couple's wife contracted it ... both other halves were absolutely fine throughout, and indeed beyond, the cruise ... so there seems little point in restricting everybody in the cabin if our experience was anything to go by.

Return to “Fred Olsen”