Anything about Cunard cruises

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Cunard: is it for me?

Post by Anne D »

Boris+ wrote:
Hi Gill,

Yes, we are intending to do the first night and the last night - and then one formal. I don't want to go to any 'parties', and if we go out to a 'speciality' restaurant it will be at lunch time.

Just needing a rest - and that is what we are going to have. We weren't 'big' on going to shows etc., so that's sorted out.

Em

Hope it works out as you wish Em . At least your packing should be a doddle. Only one formal outfit to think about.

What happens if you change your mind about all this when on board. Would you be happy to wear the same formal outfit more than once ?

Anne :o

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Anne,

Well, I'd always pack more than one formal outfit, and if we met someone really special and wanted to eat with them - they could always come along to ours, surely?

Nice friends are (a) always well worth changing our plans for, and (b) quite often they fall in with our plans anyway.

Em

Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Hi Em

Have a great cruise . Lucky you to be going soon.
We have to wait until November for our next one. :cry:

Anne

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We're making up for lost time and lost cruises - it's just going to be lovely to get back on board no matter what. Fingers crossed - just sorting out one last hurdle.

Meanwhile - here's hoping that you have a wonderful time, and that the wait is well worth it.

Em

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Boris+ wrote:
Well, MoB,

Admittedly we are not going to be in our favourite suite on our favourite ship - but what an idea - dinner in a double spa bath! NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN.

Em
We had a double spa bath in our last house - it took so long to fill and was just a novelty, so we had it taken out. Certainly don't think I'd want to eat in the bathroom
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Gill - think Cleopatra!

The only thing we found was that to be really a bit naughty (note the word 'bit'), it takes about 2 little bottles of the bath salts and 2 little bottles of the bath oil before pressing the 'on' button.

Great fun though - just as I said, think Cleopatra!

Em

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Boris+ wrote:
If we are going 'out' to eat on board of an evening, then it's always QG restaurant without a doubt; we've always used the Verandah/TE for lunch if so desired.

By heck - you've stirred some memories Wolfie - the last time we used a speciality/alternative dining venue for an evening was on Arcadia, it was Arcadian Rhodes, and it was superb.

Em

Both Arcadian Rhodes and Oriana Rhodes were superb, as is 17 on Azura and, as we have found recently, Qsine & Murano on Celebrity.

I still lament the loss of Rhodes restaurants on P&O; MPW does not even come anywhere near the standard, IMO.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Wolfie,

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. I must admit that maybe at the time we were a bit blinkered, but we tried Arcadian Rhodes and really liked everything about it - and decided it was a pretty good benchmark , and heard that MPW wasn't quite so good.

That was one of the reasons that we moved away from P&O when they changed AR to MPW. But we did have some nice times in Arcadian Rhodes though - happy memories.

Em

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Gill W wrote:
I want to branch out from P&O and try other lines, but Cunard is fairly low on my list.

I think it's the dress code - the men needing to wear a jacket every night, is a bit too much for my liking.

But, like DK, I am curious about Cunard. I've got a few preconceptions about the line, none of them very flattering, and I'd like to see for myself what it's really like.

Maybe I'd try a short break , if one was available. At this point I can't imagine wanting to have a longer cruise on Cunard
Then I would suggest you save your money Gill.

In the first instance you will be highly unlikely to get the true feel of Cunard on a short cruise and, if you aren't comfortable dressing up then it's definitely not for you.

Cunard is an acquired taste. So many want to tick it off in their 'task books', it has that aura.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Solent Richard wrote:
if you aren't comfortable dressing up then it's definitely not for you.

It's not so much about not being comfortable dressing up, I just don't want to be doing it every night of my holiday
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I'm going to disagree - with apologies - with Richard. I think that it is possible to get a 'feel' of a ship or a cruise line with a shorter cruise, and I think that the shorter outings are a great opportunity to see what you think.

We are getting a 'bit fed up' with dressing up every evening, however now the dress code on Cunard has been simplified, it's not so bad. However, there's nothing to say that people have to go and dress up every evening - and we are going to try out 'dining in' on our next Cunard outing to see how we get on.

We are going to limit 'dining in' to port days; I certainly don't mind making the effort on sea days.

We'll have to wait and see how it goes.

Em

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Sorry but I don't follow all this "dressing up" every evening business.

Surely whether you have had a day in port or a day on board/round the pool you have a shower and change of clothes before dinner - or do some go for dinner in the clothes that they have been wearing all day?

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:

Surely whether you have had a day in port or a day on board/round the pool you have a shower and change of clothes before dinner - or do some go for dinner in the clothes that they have been wearing all day?
Don't the 'gentlemen' have to wear a jacket if they want to eat?

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Smurfy
some folk might just do that and eat in the buffet, I know one person who never eats id the MDR , as they point blank refuse to"dress up"
so it is not all that strange
we did give Cunard some thought ,but the class system puts me in mind of rampant snobbery and social climbing, which is enough for me never to darken their door
Nihil Obstat

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
I believe that is the case on some cruise lines some/all night - but as I wore a jacket, and tie, every day of my working life and would not even now entertain going out to a restaurant for a meal without one I, personally, do not see that as a problem - although I fully accept that not everyone has the same views.
Dark Knight wrote:
Smurfy
some folk might just do that and eat in the buffet, I know one person who never eats id the MDR , as they point blank refuse to"dress up"
we did give Cunard some thought ,but the class system puts me in mind of rampant snobbery and social climbing, which is enough for me never to darken their door
I never said anything about "dressing up" (whatever that definition may be) all I was asking was don't people get showered and changed before dinner?

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

ok pedantic imp
see the first part of my reply
I know of people who do not bother getting changed after a day ashore and eat in the buffet and drink outside,
does that meet your criteria for an answer, :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nihil Obstat

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Whilst we are going to experiment with 'dining in', there's nothing nicer at the end of a long day ashore to get back and enjoy a refreshing shower and changing into fresh clothes - but just relaxing clothes if we are 'dining in', not shirt/tie and jacket sort of stuff - just chinos and shirt for himself and slacks and top for me.

Em

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
I believe that is the case on some cruise lines some/all night - but as I wore a jacket, and tie, every day of my working life and would not even now entertain going out to a restaurant for a meal without one I, personally, do not see that as a problem - although I fully accept that not everyone has the same views.
Dark Knight wrote:
Smurfy
I never said anything about "dressing up" (whatever that definition may be) all I was asking was don't people get showered and changed before dinner?
Not everybody would have another shower in the evening and getting changed would depend on the day's activities.

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Come on EM, are you shy at saying you will be wearing your baby doll PJ,s .

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Boris+ wrote:
Whilst we are going to experiment with 'dining in', there's nothing nicer at the end of a long day ashore to get back and enjoy a refreshing shower and changing into fresh clothes - but just relaxing clothes if we are 'dining in', not shirt/tie and jacket sort of stuff - just chinos and shirt for himself and slacks and top for me.

Em
Em, would that not be acceptable on Cunard on even their most casual evenings?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

A jacket - though not a tie - is required for men every night.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

towny44 wrote:
Boris+ wrote:

Em
Em, would that not be acceptable on Cunard on even their most casual evenings?
Of course it would John although a jacket is a requirement for the men, that doesn't mean it has to be a suit jacket you see plenty wearing linen jackets which are much more casual ( and cool ) I appreciate there are people that don't want this which I think is a shame but then I am very much on the side of the dressier the better, each to their own though and it's good there is enough choice to suit all.

It is much easier for women because most types of dress are acceptable but trust me I have seen the crimplene (sp) trousers and tee shirt brigade on Cunard on a non formal night.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi John ,

At the end of the day (and strangely enough, it would be at the end of the day), if we are 'dining in' and not 'going out', what we wear is our business, and nothing to do with any cruiseline requirements.

When we 'go out' to eat we are never incorrectly dressed, and never break the dress code requirements. Likewise, if we eat in and then want to go out, we would still be correctly dressed in order to make use of the public areas.

Em

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Andrea - babydolls? You mean I have to wear THAT much??? :lol:

If I'm eating in - won't just a robe and slippers do (but don't forget the jewellery!!)??? Alternatively, couldn't I dine in bed?

Em

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

david63 wrote:

david63 wrote:
As the comment in the original post mentioned dressing up and then went on to talk about showering, you'll forgive people for thinking the were linked in your mind!

I always like to shower and freshen up before I go to dinner, whether it's in the MDR or buffet.

It's just that I'd rather not have to be wearing sequins every night, or having the men have to wear jackets all the time
Gill

Return to “Cunard”