Platinum tier

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Platinum tier

Post by Anne D »

During our last cruise we became Platinum members with benefits becoming effective from our next cruise.

One of the stated benefits is' Disembarkation Lounge' . What does this mean and do you get refreshments.

On our first cruise with Cunard in 2010 we were in Princess Grill on Queen Victoria and our disembarkation meeting place was the Commodore Club.
We had hot drinks and Danish Pastries provided also daily newspapers . This has never happened since so wonder if it was a one off.

Anne

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Platinum tier

Post by Dancing Queen »

On our last cruise our disembarkation lounge was the Commodore lounge I think there was tea/coffee etc but we sat close to the exit so I didn't take that much notice, prior to that our disembarkation lounge has always been the grills lounge and tea/coffee/pastries have always been on offer so I would assume they were last cruise.

Actually the priority disembarkation is still a joke because when you get down there, there are still hoards of people blocking the way as if getting off is the most important thing in the world .. so much for the announcements only being made in your allocated venue :lol:
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Actually the priority disembarkation is still a joke because when you get down there, there are still hoards of people blocking the way as if getting off is the most important thing in the world .. so much for the announcements only being made in your allocated venue

They'll be the same people who killed to get on!!! :lol:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

oldbluefox wrote:
Actually the priority disembarkation is still a joke because when you get down there, there are still hoards of people blocking the way as if getting off is the most important thing in the world .. so much for the announcements only being made in your allocated venue

They'll be the same people who killed to get on!!! :lol:
Yep :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Anne,

We haven't ever used the 'disembarkation lounge' for Platinum tier - because we have been in the Grills, and Grills passengers disembark first.

We've never had a scrum to disembark, and are usually in the car before 0900hrs.

Where you are asked to wait prior to disembarkation if you are in the Grills depends on what level of suite you have - with Q1 and Q2 waiting in a different venue.

Usually the majority of Grills passengers wait in the Grills lounge.

Well done on reaching Platinum tier - and hope you thoroughly enjoy your next outing.

Em

Topic author
Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Dancing Queen wrote:
On our last cruise our disembarkation lounge was the Commodore lounge I think there was tea/coffee etc but we sat close to the exit so I didn't take that much notice, prior to that our disembarkation lounge has always been the grills lounge and tea/coffee/pastries have always been on offer so I would assume they were last cruise.

Actually the priority disembarkation is still a joke because when you get down there, there are still hoards of people blocking the way as if getting off is the most important thing in the world .. so much for the announcements only being made in your allocated venue :lol:
Hi Jo

The reason I was interested in the disembarkation lounge in the Commodore is that we never have breakfast in the restaurant on departure day so this option seemed ideal especially as although we have always had priority to disembark first being in the Grills, we are in no rush to do so as our daughter who picks us up cannot get to us until 9.30am.

The worst disembarkation we have had was on our last cruise when due to predicted bad weather the dock was changed to Mayflower and disembarkation was chaotic especially the retrieval of the suitcases.

Thanks

Anne : :)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Boris+ wrote:
Hi Anne,

We haven't ever used the 'disembarkation lounge' for Platinum tier - because we have been in the Grills, and Grills passengers disembark first.

We've never had a scrum to disembark, and are usually in the car before 0900hrs.

Where you are asked to wait prior to disembarkation if you are in the Grills depends on what level of suite you have - with Q1 and Q2 waiting in a different venue.

Usually the majority of Grills passengers wait in the Grills lounge.

Well done on reaching Platinum tier - and hope you thoroughly enjoy your next outing.

Em
I can't say I've found this to be the case Em as we have have been in different locations and not only as grill passengers but we are also Diamond loyalty level, we have also been in PG and yet still had the grills lounge allocated for disembarkation so I guess it depends on who is doing the organising as there doesn't seem to be a pattern or at least not one that I have noticed although of course it could depend on how many passengers are actually disembarking and if the ship was full because there certainly isn't enough room for all grill passengers in the grills lounge, as I usually book a Q3 if there was any semblance of order then that is where I would expect to be but it doesn't happen like that !! not that it is an issue if I've got to get off then I'm not really bothered where I park my 'bum'

I'm curious now Em where do Q1 and Q2 passengers wait ??
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Café Carinthia on QE and QV has been our experience, and we are usually off around the time that the 'newspaper' announcement is done - if not slightly before.

We've been so lucky - probably won't be doing that again.

Em

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Why is that ?? have you fallen out with Cunard or are you just planning on spreading your wings.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Good heavens to Betsy no - I haven't fallen out with Cunard, it's just that the upgrades to the Q1 outings were immense good fortune, and I don't ever hope to be that lucky again. We really enjoyed our little bits of good luck, and it's great now to watch other people getting the same upgrades and enjoying them.

I have however sort of hinted that maybe we might try a different cruise line because one or two destinations are operated by Cunard only once or twice a year, and the Cunard schedules don't match up with when we have time available.

Em

Topic author
Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Boris+ wrote:
Café Carinthia on QE and QV has been our experience, and we are usually off around the time that the 'newspaper' announcement is done - if not slightly before.

We've been so lucky - probably won't be doing that again.

Em
Surely Q1s and Q2s should wait somewhere more special than Café Carinthia. I would have thought possibly ''The Verandah'' would be more exclusive.

Anne

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Anne,

We've simply followed the instructions - and from our point of view (which could be completely wrong), it's a shorter and simpler walk to the exit from CC, and also the seating is more relaxed with more room for hand luggage (as far as we are concerned) in CC.

However, that was then - this is now, and if we are told to go to the Grills lounge for disembarkation well we'll just go with the flow.

Can't wait for the next one!

Em

Topic author
Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Hi Em

I suppose you are right. At least you are nearer to the exit than in the Grill Lounge.

When is your next cruise I thought it was this month from what you said in a previous post.

Anyway have a lovely time.

Anne :)

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Anne,

Later on this year - just a final little outing to make sure all is ok before I have some longer outings. I feel a bit more confident now; I just don't want to mess people around, so just one more little check-cruise.

Already got some booked for 2015, so fingers crossed.

Em

Topic author
Anne D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Anne D »

Hi Em

Enjoy

Anne :)

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Boris+ wrote:
Good heavens to Betsy no - I haven't fallen out with Cunard, it's just that the upgrades to the Q1 outings were immense good fortune, and I don't ever hope to be that lucky again. We really enjoyed our little bits of good luck, and it's great now to watch other people getting the same upgrades and enjoying them.

I have however sort of hinted that maybe we might try a different cruise line because one or two destinations are operated by Cunard only once or twice a year, and the Cunard schedules don't match up with when we have time available.

Em

I'm puzzled. You have said many times that you book your favourite suite and now you mention upgrades? With upgrades, no matter where, you have no choice of any cabin/suite.

However, I'm sure that you will have an explanation Em, as ever. ;)

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Wolfie,

I don't wish to disagree with you, but I don't really think I have ever said that I book my 'favourite' suite. True I do like to book a suite - and that is what we do absolutely every time. I do have a preference for the Q4 suites, but sometimes those are not available, so if that is the case then we aim for a Q5. Our upgrades have been simply that - upgrades, and the most delicious surprises they have been too. It's been incredible good luck, and I wish the same good luck to everyone.

We do have a favourite suite (and we've had it several times) - but I reckon we won't be that lucky again. Wouldn't mind if we did get that lovely evening telephone call from the upgrade fairy though! Just to clarify not all our upgrades have been to Q1 suites, and there is still one Q2 suite that I would like to get my sticky mitts on (not fussed whether it's port or starboard), until the upgrade fairy telephones us, I'll just have to keep walking past the doors in question and wish.

Yes, I know that there's no guarantee where the upgrade fairy will take us - next outing we've been upgraded from aft to midships (and we really like aft), but nevermind, it's all been wonderful.

Em

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Boris+ » 09 Sep 2013 09:38 » Post Number:#70

Easyliving - well done on what sounds like a smashing outing on QV. Beware - booking a Q4 can become quite addictive!

That's why I was confused, seems like you always booked a Q4. :?

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Wolfie,

Well now you've got me worried - it's quite concerning to think that someone has nothing better to do than keep a record of what people post on a forum!

I make a simple response to someone having a lovely time on QV, and suddenly you reckon I have a 'favourite suite' which I always book. I don't see the connection there Wolfie - and for my money the leap which you appear to have executed is a bit too quantum for me.

I do have a favourite suite, but I don't always book it. Some wonderful memories.

Em

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Not concerning at all Em, I don't keep any records of posts, unlike some members of this forum,I have better things to occupy my time, but maybe you should; one search of the forum did it, posts by any member, and, as you can see it was only a few days ago so it sprang right up there in my mind, immediately, as a recent read! Try it, you will come up with the same result. That is what the search facility is for. I knew I had seen your post somewhere very recently but couldn't remember exactly where and then, 'search' came up with it in a jiffy!

Well Em, there you go, I initially said that you had a favourite suite, you said that you didn't, and now you have.

Best to keep a record of your posts when your memory is not too good Em. BTW, your responses are never simple, just confusing in their contradictions. Hey ho!

There was no need to respond to my post, unless.....it hit a sore spot. I just made an observation.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I can't help but form the opinion that you love to have a 'spat', and I'm going to have to disappoint you on this occasion - quite honestly I really can't be bothered.

However, recently I've noticed that sometimes when I look at this forum it will state that a particular post has been placed at a particular time, and then the next time I log on the same post shows a one hour difference - has anyone else noted that?

It appears that you have said in your post just now Wolfie that the quote of my post which you referred to was done just a few days ago - but it wasn't - it was done (according to this website) in 2013, which by my calculation is not a few days ago.

There is nothing wrong with my honesty, my memory or the way in which I spend my time - which most certainly is not researching who has said what on this forum and trying to cause a spat.

End of -

Em

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Ok, Boris, it a year and a few days ago BUT my memory serves me well..... gosh a year ago !!! Time really does fly but it was the first post that came up on the search facility when I put in.......... Cunard suites or whatever.

I never questioned your honesty, you doth protest too much!! Relax. :relaxed:

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Anne D wrote:
During our last cruise we became Platinum members with benefits becoming effective from our next cruise.

One of the stated benefits is' Disembarkation Lounge' . What does this mean and do you get refreshments.

On our first cruise with Cunard in 2010 we were in Princess Grill on Queen Victoria and our disembarkation meeting place was the Commodore Club.
We had hot drinks and Danish Pastries provided also daily newspapers . This has never happened since so wonder if it was a one off.

Anne

Congratulations Anne.

The next step is the big one.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Boris+ wrote:
Hi Wolfie,

Well now you've got me worried - it's quite concerning to think that someone has nothing better to do than keep a record of what people post on a forum!

I make a simple response to someone having a lovely time on QV, and suddenly you reckon I have a 'favourite suite' which I always book. I don't see the connection there Wolfie - and for my money the leap which you appear to have executed is a bit too quantum for me.

I do have a favourite suite, but I don't always book it. Some wonderful memories.

Em
Hi Boris.

It happens you know. Some even remember the colour of the fish on my lounge wall. :wave: :wave:

By the way, a Q45 is my favourite on Queen Mary 2 (9048 to be precise)

Nice and close to the Concierge Lounge. :clap:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Solent Richard wrote:

Hi Boris.

It happens you know. Some even remember the colour of the fish on my lounge wall. :wave: :wave:

By the way, a Q45 is my favourite on Queen Mary 2 (9048 to be precise)

Nice and close to the Concierge Lounge. :clap:
We had 9040 from Singapore to Southampton earlier this year - a little TOO convenient for the Concierge Lounge :shock:
Gill

Return to “Cunard”