Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Cruise Review: Queen Elizabeth to Ireland, Iceland, Faroes & Orkney July 2015

Post by Bobbie »

CUNARD v P&O

I’ve done 10 cruises with P&O on Arcadia (4), Oriana (3), Oceana(2) and Adonia(1), and am just back from my first cruise with Cunard. Here are my thoughts and opinions on the Queen Elizabeth, they are just my own personal view so please don’t take offence if my opinion of either the QE or P&O ships doesn’t match your own.

The Ship
The Queen Elizabeth is, without a doubt, the most beautiful ship I’ve ever sailed on. Her interior is truly stunning. The décor is classic and traditional, with lots of chrome, brass, dark wood and glass, and the carpets are gorgeous. She feels really luxurious. The walls are lined with beautiful pictures of current and past Cunard ships, and some lovely black and white photographs of past passengers, and there is a great deal of memorabilia around the ship, such as the QE2 bell.
I understand that the Queen Elizabeth was built to the same design as Arcadia, and this was apparent in the layout of the ship, however the décor differs vastly.

Cabin
Cunard refers to cabins as “staterooms”. Ours was a balcony “stateroom” on deck 6 near the aft lifts and staircase – we chose it as it was 3 decks up to the Lido buffet and 3 decks down to the Britannia restaurant so not far to go for breakfast and dinner. It was very nice, but no different from the cabins/staterooms we’ve had on other ships. I wasn’t keen on the toiletries in the bathroom as I love the White Company ones provided by P&O, but I liked the pot of cotton wool and cotton wool buds.
I knew before the cruise that Cunard did not provide kettles, tea bags etc in the cabin, and didn’t want to ring Room Service every time I wanted a cuppa, so I smuggled aboard a little travel kettle. I only used it in the mornings when we awoke, the rest of the time it was easy to nip up to the buffet.
I ordered a Room Service breakfast on three occasions when we had early starts, the choice was better than on P&O.
The pillow chocolates were lovely, we don’t like the ones on P&O! Each night there would be a different flavour – milk, dark, mint, orange.

Passengers
There was a wide range of nationalities on the QE – Americans, Australians, Canadians, Russians, Swedes, Israelis, Taiwanese, Chinese, to name but a few, but by far the most (apart from Brits) were the Japanese. There was a large party of them and they had their own reception area near the Purser’s Desk. I think they must have had their own excursions too, as we didn’t see any on the excursions we took. Although we made friends with an American couple and a Canadian lady, I felt that in general the ship did not have such a “friendly” feel as the P&O ships. I know that some Brits can be moaners and whingers, but on the whole the people we’ve met on P&O cruises have all been really nice and there is a very friendly atmosphere.
There were a few children and teenagers on board, but we rarely saw them and they caused no problems.

Food
We ate breakfast in the Lido buffet. It was very similar to the buffets on P&O, except that there was a wider choice to meet the needs of the various nationalities – such as a good choice of different breads, American bacon (crispy streaky) as well as British bacon (pink and soggy). Waiters came round with tea and coffee, which I understand has now been introduced on P&O ships, and also trays of juices, to save having to get your own drinks. Of course you could still get your own, and there was always a good selection of tea bags – so many times on P&O ships I’ve had to ask for decaff, and wait ages while they went to find some.

We mainly had lunch in the buffet, although on two occasions we went into the Britannia restaurant, and once to the Golden Lion pub for delicious fish and chips (they also do bangers and mash and cottage pie.) The food in the buffet was good, probably about the same as P&O, although on Cunard they did not have chips every day – I like my chips! They did have soft ice cream machines, which you could have in a cone, a tub, or on top of your dessert!

In the evening we were on first sitting in the Britannia restaurant. We had a window table for 6, with a nice couple from Oxford and two lovely Scottish ladies. At first we had thought that 6pm was too early (it’s 6.30 on P&O) but we soon realised it meant we weren’t as rushed as we have been at times. We were given plenty of time to study the menu without it being snatched away almost as soon as we were given it, and there was a good gap between courses. Last year on Oceana we once had to ask the waiter to take back our main course, as he brought it immediately we had finished our starter – he did not like this and was quite rude! Our waiters, Carlito and Luis, were lovely, and over the 12 nights we built a good relationship with them – although busy they still had time for a laugh, as they used to a few years ago on P&O before each waiter was allocated more tables and is always in a rush.
The quality of the food was superb, particularly the steaks. We’ve never had any problem with the food on P&O, but I have to say that Cunard wins with the choice, quality and presentation. We loved the selection of petit fours, served from a silver tray by the waiter, rather than just six plonked on a plate.

On P&O we sometimes like to have dinner in the buffet when they have our favourites such as the Seafood buffet, or the Indian buffet. Cunard did have these themed meals, but the tables were not laid up as they are on P&O in the evenings. The only place where tables were laid in the buffet were on one side, where they charged extra for a particular themed meal which changed every few days.

There was also the Verandah restaurant, where you could pay extra, but we felt that the food was so good in the main restaurant we didn’t see any reason to pay more.

We’d heard a lot about the Cunard Afternoon Tea in the Queen’s Room, and we went there one day to try. We were not that impressed, as we waited quite a long time for our cups of tea and the sandwiches had very little filling. It also annoyed us that, by holding it in the Queen’s Room, it meant that there could be no dance class in there during the afternoon.

Daytime Activities
Much the same as P&O. Everyone has their own interests, and of course our main one is dancing (more about that later). My husband likes to use the gym, and he was pleased that the gym was open from 6am, whereas on all P&O ships it opens at 8am – this is a constant annoyance to him as he likes to go between 7 and 7.30. When he can’t go until 8 it means we usually end up having breakfast separately, as I don’t want mine too late as I like to go line dancing at 10. The line dancing is just something I do for exercise onboard ship, it’s quite good fun and the Entertainment Officer who taught it was very good. There was no water available in the Queen’s Room, either a machine or in jugs, which was bad as you get very hot and dry. On P&O there is usually some, or if there isn’t the Ents Officer will phone and ask for some to be brought.

We enjoy some of the Trivia quizzes and Name that Tune, and we did fairly well in most of them, eventually winning twice! We had a regular team of 6 with an American couple and a mother and daughter from Sheffield. Instead of a prize, each time you win you have stamps on a card – we ended up with four (2 each) and at the end of the cruise you can exchange them for goods. For 4 we could only get a key fob, a card wallet or two memory sticks – we should have won more!

There is the usual vegetable carving, cookery demonstrations, watercolour painting, bridge, something to suit all tastes. There was a Passenger Choir which attracted around 60 people, and they performed in the theatre on the last afternoon. I was disappointed there were no photography classes as I enjoyed them last year on Oceana. The only thing available was a one-to-one with one of the Photographers, for which there was a charge.

Unfortunately we were not interested in any of the lecturers onboard. There was a maritime historian, an airline pilot, and a TV producer. We would have liked a sports personality, politician, or a well-known TV personality talking about their life and career.

There is a large library on Queen Elizabeth, and a room with jigsaws and board games for those who like that sort of thing.

Dancing
I am sure most people will have heard that Cunard have the best ballrooms at sea. The Queen’s Room is a truly beautiful setting in which to dance. It is two decks high, with balconies on the upper deck from which people like to watch the dancers. There are two huge chandeliers. There is ample seating for both dancers and spectators, unlike some dance areas on other ships. The wooden dance floor is a good shape and size.

Most nights there was dancing from 7.45 to 8.30, then again from 9.15 until late. The music was provided by the Queen’s Room Orchestra, and there was an American singer called Paul Ritchie who sang a lot of Frank Sinatra-type songs, he had a great voice. Whilst we enjoyed this some of the time, we would have liked the opportunity to dance to some more modern songs. Sometimes it was quite difficult to get the beat, as they did not play Strict Tempo. Towards the end of the cruise we did get a bit fed up with the same style of music every night.

Sequence dancing is unheard of in a lot of countries, although very popular in the UK. We like Sequence as it breaks up the evening, however on Cunard they do it separately to the ordinary dancing. A couple of nights there was Sequence from 8 to 8.30, or 10 to 10.30. This meant that for half an hour we danced every dance. The rest of the time it was a lot of foxtrots and waltzes, quickstep, cha-cha and rumba. Occasionally they’d throw in a tango or samba. We did get a bit bored with it. On P&O the dancing is hosted by the dance instructors, usually a husband and wife, and they include all types of dance. We have always had couples who are good fun, and make the evenings very enjoyable. It was all a bit too serious for our liking on Cunard.

There were four “gentleman dance hosts” to dance with the single ladies, of which there were many, and they were all quite good – one in particular was a very good dancer. Having done cruises with my mum, that is something lacking on P&O as more often than not there was nobody for me to dance with.

The onboard dance instructor was a rather handsome young man called Eugene, I think he was Ukrainian. There was a rumour that his wife, with whom he normally danced, was pregnant and that a new partner would be joining him in Reykjavik, but that never happened. His classes were enjoyable, even though aimed mainly at beginners (we feel it never hurts to go back to basics). He would sometimes add a 20 minute intermediate step on at the end. As classes were at 12.15 this meant we didn’t get to lunch until nearly 1.30, which when you have 6pm dinner is a bit late. On P&O the dance classes are usually at 11 (beginners) and about 3pm for intermediate. This can’t be done on Cunard as the afternoon tea takes place in the Queen’s Room from 3.30.

Evening Entertainment
There were two shows each evening in the Royal Court Theatre, a beautiful theatre three decks high designed like an opera house, with private boxes you could hire (with champagne and chocolates.) We liked the fact that there were no waiters serving drinks in the theatre, that is something we find annoying and inappropriate on P&O. Surely people can do without a drink for 45 mins?

We’ve been on some cruises where the guest artists have been fantastic, others where they’ve been just about OK. I’d say on this cruise they were just about OK. There was a tenor, a saxophonist, a female singer, an illusionist, but the only one we really rated was comedian Mike Doyle. We’re not usually keen on comedians, but he was hilarious.

The singers and dancers were, again, just about OK. They only did 3 full shows in 12 nights, and just one number as an introduction on two occasions, which we didn’t think was much. We didn’t think the shows we saw were as good as the ones we’ve seen on P&O. The dancers were all very energetic and enthusiastic, but they badly needed to improve their synchronisation, it was appalling. A lot of the time they were out of step with each other. They should take a tip from the Irish dancers who came aboard for one show in Dublin, who were perfectly synchronised.

For anyone who didn’t want to see the show, there was nothing else on at 8.30 each night, not even a pianist until 9.15. Presumably this is when they all eat, but surely this should be staggered.

We don’t mind classical and swing music, but for us there was too much of it on this ship. There was a harpist, a string quartet, and three pianists as well as the two orchestras in the Queen’s room and the theatre. There was only one ‘pop’ group, who mainly played up in the Yacht Club for disco dancing – not our thing.

Sometimes we liked to go to the Commodore Club for a cocktail when we got fed up with the dancing. The Commodore Club is what P&O call the Crow’s Nest, right at the top of the ship. The pianist in there played gentle, soothing music and he sang as well, again very gentle tunes. When it got dark there were candles on the tables, there was a nice relaxing atmosphere. Thankfully it wasn’t spoiled by awful quizzes, as it so often is in P&O’s Crow’s Nest.

Another thing we didn’t miss were P&O’s pathetic game shows, such as Deal or No Deal and Mr and Mrs – we feel they are more suitable for Butlin’s than on a ship.

Disembarkation
First of all the Grill passengers and those travelling to Heathrow, Gatwick etc disembark, then for the rest of us this is done by deck, starting from the top. We were on deck 6 and our allocated time was 9.30am. On P&O this would be too late for us and we would go to the Purser’s Desk and ask to change to an earlier time, however on Cunard the Lido buffet is open for breakfast until 10am, so we vacated our cabin at 8.30 and went up for breakfast then. On P&O breakfast is only served until 8am, which means a lot of hanging around if you have a later time. We were supposed to go to the theatre to wait, but we didn’t fancy that at all so just went down at 9.30 and walked straight off. Very painless. There didn’t seem to be as many suitcases in the arrivals hall and we found ours easily, presumably this was because a lot of the people from overseas who were travelling to airports had left the ship earlier.

On Deck
Unfortunately we had such bad weather on this cruise we spent very little time on deck, so I can’t really comment about the swimming pools, sunloungers etc. There also weren’t any Sailaway parties, for those who like that sort of thing, so I don’t know how Cunard do them! Right at the beginning, as we left Southampton, it was dry and sunny and the Ents Officers were dancing and handing out 175 Anniversary flags, so that was much like a P&O sailaway.

Ports of Call
The first call was Dublin. We took the shuttle bus into the city, which took ages as there seemed to be roadworks and traffic lights everywhere. We were told they were putting in a new tram system, but it meant that the place looked a complete mess.We had thought of getting on the Hop-on-hop-off buses, but thought we would be just sitting in traffic so abandoned that idea. We wandered around a bit, walked along by the river, and had a coffee. It started raining around lunchtime, VERY heavily, so we quickly hopped on the shuttle back to the ship.

We didn't make it to Belfast the next day as there was a deep depression moving in from the west, and the Captain took the decision to get ahead of it by missing Belfast - disappointing for those who, like ourselves, had booked a private minibus trip to the Giant's Causeway, although we wouldn't have wanted to visit in the pouring rain and then face rough seas! Apart from the Captain's announcement at around 8am (which not everyone heard as the first one wasn't broadcast into the cabins, he had to do a second one ten minutes later) no mention was made at any time of missing Belfast, whilst all passengers understood the reason the general feeling was that an apology would have been nice.

We had a full day in Reykjavik, Iceland, from 9am to 8.30pm, where we had booked a minibus for the Golden Circle tour with IG Tours. They were excellent and I would thoroughly recommend them. Our guide, Odinn, spoke perfect English and knew absolutely everything about his country. We were glad he was our guide though, because the other minibus had a guide who was a Geordie, who now lived out there -I think I would have felt a little cheated to go all the way to Iceland and have a Geordie guide! The weather stayed dry but was very cold, I was glad to have hat, scarf and gloves. The sights in Iceland were amazing. At the end of the tour we asked Odinn if he would take us for a short drive around Reykjavik as we hadn't actually seen the city, which he did, and also let us have ten minutes to go inside the iconic church.

The next day we were due to stop in Isafjordur, a pretty little town at the end of a fjord, however there was a very strong wind and it was not safe to launch the tenders, so we turned around and sailed out again! To make up a little for our disappointment the Captain got us to the next port, Akureyri, for the evening, and people could go ashore if they wished, but I'm not sure many did. We'd just finished dinner and didn't fancy changing back into jeans etc. I think a fair number of the crew went ashore once they'd finished for the night. We walked on deck at around 11 - 11.30, as it was still light, and took some pictures.

Next day we had booked a Cunard excursion from Akureyri and this was OK, except that we were so rushed. We only stopped for 20 mins at the Godafoss waterfall - hardly enough time to walk there, take a few photos, and walk back to the coach. I had wanted to cross the bridge and take some pictures from a different angle, but there was no chance of that. The next stop was at a grotty hotel for coffee where we were allowed 40 minutes! We decided instead to go for a walk down to Lake Myvatn nearby. We were also rushed around the lava formations in just 15 mins, then had to queue for another 10 mins for the toilets! The weather was not good, we had a bit of rain and a lot of cloud and it was still cool.

The next stop was Torshavn in the Faroes, where we did another Cunard tour. Again it was rather rushed, and again we stopped for coffee and a pretty grotty hotel with only 2 toilets for 3 coachloads of people! It rained a lot, so we didn't get off the coach much, but the Faroes scenery was quite spectacular. We didn't have time to look around Torshavn, I would've liked to have had a wander around the little streets of the old town as I'd heard it was pretty.

Our final stop was at Kirkwall in the Orkneys, and at last the sun came out. We had a beautiful day, and did an interesting coach tour of the island.In the afternoon there was still time to have a look around Kirkwall, which was a nice little town, and we even had a drink sitting outside a cafe!

In conclusion, it was an enjoyable cruise and there were some things we preferred about Cunard, some we prefer P&O. Our next cruise is on Oriana, but we would not rule out sailing with Cunard again if the itinerary, price and date were all right.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Cruise Review: Queen Elizabeth to Ireland, Iceland, Faroes & Orkney July 2015

Post by Kenmo1 »

Thanks for that very detailed report, Bobbie. Some of your remarks reminded me of some of our feelings when we tried out Caribbean Princess recently. We felt PO won hands down with the entertainment and I do wonder if that is due to its Britishness whereas both Cunard and Princess seem to attract a much bigger mixture of nationalities and so the Entertainment Officer has to try to please too many different people, in the end not totally pleasing anyone.

Princess didn't do kettles in the cabin and, like you, we really missed that.

Glad you saw Kirkwall on a sunny day. It really makes a difference to how you feel about a place.

Maureen

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cruise Review: Queen Elizabeth to Ireland, Iceland, Faroes & Orkney July 2015

Post by GillD46 »

A very detailed review, Robbie, thank you for taking the time to write it.

You are of course right that everyone likes different things so it would be rare to find a ship/ cruise line that was perfect. Cunard comes closest for us and it sounds as though you liked enough to consider them again, while not defecting from P&O. That can only be good for you as it expands your choice.

Shame about the weather, it makes such a difference doesn't it?
Gill

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

We did a similar cruise last year and it was , so far my favourite, the Golden Circle tour in Iceland was the best excursion, I have done, it was truly epic
Nihil Obstat

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thank you for your report.

As I've done mainly P&O cruises myself, it was interesting to read your observations and comparisons.

We went to Akureyri a few years ago on Arcadia, and I think we did a similar excursion to yours. I'm finding increasingly that the coach trips spend hardly any time in the interesting places, yet ages at the coffee stop.
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

At last!! Finished reading your very comprehensive and interesting review. Sorry to hear that the weather was so bad and you had tomiss ports. However if it is any consolation we have been to the Giant's Causeway and were underwhelmed. If you've seen the photographs that's it so please don't be too disappointed.
Thanks for posting it.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Well, overall it seems that you enjoyed your cruise - which is brilliant.

However, this cruise is one (of several) which we had cancelled with Cunard, and now I'm very glad we didn't go. We've had some awesome rough weather on QV - maybe QE just doesn't like bad weather; or maybe it depends on which Captain you had. Inga Olsen will pretty much get you there, and we've seen her take QV in and out of some very tight turned ports too.

Anyway, whilst we're glad we weren't onboard this particular sailing, it's great that you enjoyed your cruise.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Thanks for taking the time to write it ' Bobbie ' ... I am not a particular fan of Cunard but I do enjoy reading reports about their ships and of course their itineraries.

At the risk of upsetting a few, apologies in advance.

It was most refreshing to read a Cunard report that did not harp on and on about Suites, Butlers, Grills ... Champagne etc. Eating in the buffet rarely gets a mention either.

Yes, I enjoyed your report very much ... thank you :clap:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I enjoyed reading your report very much Bobbie and I think gave a very fair comparison between the two lines.

You won't be upsetting me Moby I've been in just about every cabin available on both P&O and Cunard from insides to suites and enjoyed every one of them, I also enjoy using the buffet on both especially for breakfast and lunch as it provides a much better choice for my 'faddy' eating habits.
Jo

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

Glad we are not the only ones to sneak on a travel kettle when they are not provided! It's funny that Royal Caribbean have them when sailing from UK but not elsewhere. We were on Caribbean Princess in June and took it, we mentioned it to our steward and he said just make sure to unplug when not in use. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Doreen

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We have also travelled in Britannia( inside and balcony) Britannia Club and the Grills with Cunard, and insides, and balconies as well as various suites with P&O. We often eat in the buffet, occasionally at breakfast but especially at lunch time and sometimes for dinner, and find the buffets on Cunard ships infinitely better than those on P&O.

Like Jo I am a picky eater and vegetarian to boot, so often find buffets easier as I can try a taste of many things.
Gill

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

As we're now going on her for the first time in January (plus a "ship's visit" in December), I was very keen to read your report, Bobby, which was very well written and informative. Many thanks.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Good report Bobbie :thumbup:

Out of interest how do cruise prices compare with P&O, and things such as drinks.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Excellent read - Thank you
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Bobbie »

Stephen, we are not big drinkers, and of course it's all priced in dollars - we didn't bother to convert it as our OBC covered all our drinks. My husband likes a Strawberry Daiquiri (cocktail) and that was $7.95, with the additional service charge that was $9.14, which I've just converted on Google and it's £5.09 (£5.97 with service charge). I had a glass of wine one night which was $6.95, total with service charge $7.99 (£4.45/£5.11). I can't remember what the prices were on P&O but doesn't seem too bad.
My daily small cappuccino was $3.75/$4.31 (£2.40/ £2.76) which is quite expensive, as last September on Adonia I paid £2.00. Hubby's diet coke was $3.50/$4.03 ( £2.24/£2.58) compared to £1.95 last September.
It's difficult to comment on the price of the cruise, because there are so many different deals available. To make a fair comparison you'd have to find an identical cruise going to the same ports. We were happy with the price we paid (we booked last October) and had a nice lot of OBC, which was easily enough to cover our drinks, hubby's spin classes, a treatment in the Spa for me and still some left over to buy a polo shirt and cruise DVD! In fact, by sheer chance (I promise I wasn't counting the pennies - or cents!) our total bill was 68 cents!!!! Yes, really!
As a matter of interest, an American couple we were friendly with told us that they pay differently. Apparently they pay port charges, so the fact that we missed two ports meant they didn't pay them and were financially better off than us! Anyone else heard of that?

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thanks Bobbie, a really interesting comparison, cheers. :)

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

68 cents !!! Wow, you are a cheap date Bobbie :) ;)

Return to “Cunard”