Dinner on Cunard

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Dinner on Cunard

Post by Gill W »

We are thinking of booking a cruise on Cunard.

I need to keep my salt intake low, but, because it's not vital anymore, I now prefer to manage my own eating, rather than opt for a special diet meal.

To this end, please could anyone advise me if they have 'always available' steak, chicken and salmon in the Britannia restaurant, like they do on P&O (who have just started this again)

Also, the brochure that I was sent says that the buffet turns into an alternative dining option into the evening, offering Italian, Indian etc. It says this is available at a modest supplement. Could anyone tell me if they also do a buffet like P&O, free of charge, just in case I wanted a simple salad one night.

thanks
Gill

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Dinner on Cunard

Post by sunseeker16 »

I don't think there is always available. I don't remember it and the sample menus don't list it
https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life ... ample_menu

Neither can I remember an evening buffet ... we used the paid buffet option once but didn't think it was that great. The lunchtime buffet was quite excellent, from sandwiches and rolls filled to order, through eggs cooked to your liking to salads and hot buffet dishes.

I hope someone with a better recollection, or more recent memories, can answer you a bit better

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

There are free buffets every evening, as well as the Asian/Mexican etc paid for pop up restaurants in part of the buffet area.

Being veggie I seldom use the regular menu, but I do know they will fall over themselves backwards to accommodate you Gill. Like P&O you will be offered the menu the night before if you speak to your Maitre d' and they will be as helpful as possible if nothing suits. You will have to request vegetables though, as they are in short supply unless requested.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thank you both, that's confirmed the impression I had

I've decided to move away from registering for a special dietary requirement, as I have been free of vertigo for 2 years (Menieres) and can now allow myself a bit of latitude.

Although I've been grateful for the special diet help, I've found it restrictive in terms of being free to change my mind about where I dine, and also it's quite hard work to get them to provide what I ask for. If I stop re-inforcing my requirement every night, it tends to slip back to meat/fish, plain potatoes, broccoli and carrots and generic special diet sauce.

By managing it myself, I can have a plainer dish when I want, but also allow myself something with sauce another time, and get the vegetables as per the menu

I'm not sure Cunard is the right choice for my aim, but I have other plans in the pipeline too - I'm thinking about Fred Olsen!
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

GillD46 wrote:
There are free buffets every evening, as well as the Asian/Mexican etc paid for pop up restaurants in part of the buffet area.

Being veggie I seldom use the regular menu, but I do know they will fall over themselves backwards to accommodate you Gill. Like P&O you will be offered the menu the night before if you speak to your Maitre d' and they will be as helpful as possible if nothing suits. You will have to request vegetables though, as they are in short supply unless requested.
During our recent Cunard Ship Visit, I managed to get hold of their vegetarian menu. Surprisingly, it was not as extensive or imaginative as the recent ones P&O have produced and the choices on the main menu were fairly mundane as well.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

qbman1 wrote:
GillD46 wrote:

During our recent Cunard Ship Visit, I managed to get hold of their vegetarian menu. Surprisingly, it was not as extensive or imaginative as the recent ones P&O have produced and the choices on the main menu were fairly mundane as well.
Slightly off topic qb. I just had a look at the Cunard ship visit page. I thought it a bit steep at 50pp :shock:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Probably - when you think our visit to Britannia next week is £25pp. Mind you, we enjoyed the day and £50 for a day out with a pretty good meal didn't make it feel like we were being ripped off. I did get to snog the guide as well - that's probably where you get the money's worth !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

qbman1 wrote:
Probably - when you think our visit to Britannia next week is £25pp. Mind you, we enjoyed the day and £50 for a day out with a pretty good meal didn't make it feel like we were being ripped off. I did get to snog the guide as well- that's probably where you get the money's worth !

I bet he wasn't expecting that :shock:

Return to “Cunard”