On Board Purchases

Anything about Celebrity cruises

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

On Board Purchases

Post by Solent Richard »

Having just returned from a cruise on Celebrity Infinity I thought I would share this with members.

Prior to joining this cruise I had been in the market to replace my 3 year old Dell Laptop ( Nothing wrong with it, an Intel i5 processor and tons of storage space, except it's size, 15"- it wouldn't fit in my manbag)

I had my eye on either a 13" HP or a Macbook Air, both in John Lewis.

As always time was running out and I postponed the purchase till post this last cruise.

Celebrity Infinity, like all Celebrity ships actually have a dedicated Apple shop on board...

...and on our first sea day I had a look around.

On display were all of Apple's current products including the Macbook Air 13. It was clearly priced in the on board currency (US $) though the label also carried the equivalent pound and Euro prices.

A quick piece of mental arithmatic told me that this was somewhat cheaper than the John Lewis price that I had previously been following. The very helpful shop assistant gave me a full demonstration and in order to clarify the equivalent prices allowed me to google the John Lewis price 'live'.

Needless to say I was impressed with the potential saving and without further ado bought the Macbook...

The salesman also gave me an additional 90 minutes on board internet time. At this point I would also add that while the processor was the same, Intel core i5, the flash storage of the on board version was double that of the John Lewis one, 256 GB.

And the saving?...

£178.00.

Solent Richard was a happy boy. That will more than pay for the John Lewis Knomo leather sleeve.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: On Board Purchases

Post by david63 »

Not being a MacBook aficionado I would be concerned on two levels:

1. Was it a "British" version - i.e. keyboard layout

2. How good would the warranty be especially if there was a problem in the first 12 months.

For me the benefits of buying an item such as this in this country far outweigh a saving of £178 - but that is just me.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Smurfy
Lady D bought a rather expensive watch on board one year and we got a global guarantee from the ship, which we checked with the manufacturer via the web and it was all above board
I take your point about UK vs US model as I would also be concerned about this
Nihil Obstat

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

A few months ago I bought a MacBook Air 13" from John Lewis with a two year warranty - Apple only give 1 year and I am delighted with it. Takes a bit of getting used to after using Windows but the synchronisation with the iPhone and iPad fascinates me.

Not sure I would have bought it on board - I would have been too concerned about the warranty etc. but with Apple's reputation I'm sure you will have no problems.
Janis

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

david63 wrote:
Not being a MacBook aficionado I would be concerned on two levels:

1. Was it a "British" version - i.e. keyboard layout

2. How good would the warranty be especially if there was a problem in the first 12 months.

For me the benefits of buying an item such as this in this country far outweigh a saving of £178 - but that is just me.
Good morning David.

Rest assured that I did my homework. The keyboard is 'American' but that is no problem whatsoever. Basically the '@' is in a different position and the '$' is simply circumnavigated by using 'Shift 3'.

All Apple products come with a one year warranty and that warranty commences the day you register the computer/ ipad/ iphone with Apple.

In the event of a problem simply take your Apple product to your nearest Apple store and they can authenticate the 'purchase' date instantly on the machine.

As I already have Apple Ipad and Iphone the MacBook addition has many advantages, particularly when the ability to sync most data, including contacts and emails, through icloud is simply a matter of turning the machine on.

While I realise that £178.00 isn't a great deal of money - hardly the per person cost for a day in the Grills - as they would say at Tesco, every little helps.

Once I have mastered the MacBook Air I will be only too happy to give a full review of the benefits.

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Dark Knight wrote:
Smurfy
Lady D bought a rather expensive watch on board one year and we got a global guarantee from the ship, which we checked with the manufacturer via the web and it was all above board
I take your point about UK vs US model as I would also be concerned about this
Hi there.

See above comment regarding US Keyboard.

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Jan Rosser wrote:
A few months ago I bought a MacBook Air 13" from John Lewis with a two year warranty - Apple only give 1 year and I am delighted with it. Takes a bit of getting used to after using Windows but the synchronisation with the iPhone and iPad fascinates me.

Not sure I would have bought it on board - I would have been too concerned about the warranty etc. but with Apple's reputation I'm sure you will have no problems.
Good morning Jan.

How right you are on each of the three points mentioned.

I well understood that John Lewis offer a 2 year guarantee. Indeed they were offering a 3 year warrantee on the HP 13".

It's usually their way of 'discounting' under the table.

Fingers crossed, I've never had a problem with any of my laptops and had I wished I could still purchase a two year extension from Apple up to one year from purchase...

http://store.apple.com/uk/question/answ ... PD22DTKCKP

Return to “Celebrity”