Chat about anything here

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 11 Sep 2018, 22:47

They were going to release the document giving details of their plans

Then they decided not to.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter now. Things are moving on as we speak.

What I'm reading now is that May is going to give up on Chequers, if EU reject it in Salzburg next week.
Last edited by Gill W on 11 Sep 2018, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 11 Sep 2018, 23:46

If Theresa is going to give up on the Chequers plan l hope she makes it abundantly clear that this isn't a "bluff" decision as the time for playing games has to stop, she needs to leave the EU in no doubt that rejecting the Chequers plan will be an end game decision for them also.

liar liar tounges on fire......

We then wait a few weeks and see what they come back with once they start seeing the backlash from the many businesses that rely on UK trade deals.

We still have a couple of options open to us but the more l read about what would be involved the more l think Chequers is the best option for the UK.
Last edited by Onelife on 11 Sep 2018, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 12 Sep 2018, 08:04

Now I read that the ERG is plotting to overthrow May.

It’s like they are all playing Game of Thrones, and like you say Keith, the time for game playing is over.
Gill

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 12 Sep 2018, 09:45

You do all realise that most of these news stories are the result of behind the scenes press briefings from the various brexit and remain groups, and of course highlight the worst case scenarios that might happen if a certain path was followed.
Much better to ignore the lot and just wait and see what really happens, all this second guessing leads us nowhere and just heightens the concerns of everyone; and a bit like Hammond's suggestion that fuel duty might need to be raised to pay for the extra NHS funding, they are designed to gauge public opinion and learn which option might be least onerous.
Last edited by towny44 on 12 Sep 2018, 09:48, edited 2 times in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 12 Sep 2018, 09:56

Tis what that nice Mr Trump would call " Fake News ", ignore it and wait for official notifications from No 10.

ps … Plan B is to select suitable bits that suit else make it up as you go along … and worry yourself to death :lol:

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 12 Sep 2018, 11:32

Hi John/mob,

There are 39 pages of opinion and speculation on this thread many of which have been contributed by your good selves.....pot calling the kettle black springs to mind :)

:wave:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 12 Sep 2018, 11:37

What’s happening appears to change every 5 minutes.

So yes, let’s wait for something real to actually happen.

I am now getting ready for my holiday, so I intend to put this sorry mess out of my mind for a few weeks.

I get back to Southampton on 10th October, and fully expect no further Brexit progress will be made while I’m away.

However I expect this thread to have grown by several pages while everyone carries on speculating, and picking out the bits of news that they like !
Gill

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 12 Sep 2018, 11:58

Onelife wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 11:32
Hi John/mob,

There are 39 pages of opinion and speculation on this thread many of which have been contributed by your good selves.....pot calling the kettle black springs to mind :)

I am not criticising anyone and fully accept my own contributions have not always been well received by the remain camp. But as we approach the end game I feel that maybe a little quiet reflection is the better way to go, and I will therefore try to remain neutral, whilst still a positive leaver.
John

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 12 Sep 2018, 16:53

towny44 wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 11:58
Onelife wrote:
Hi John/mob,

I am not criticising anyone and fully accept my own contributions have not always been well received by the remain camp. But as we approach the end game I feel that maybe a little quiet reflection is the better way to go, and I will therefore try to remain neutral, whilst still a positive leaver.
The number of pages will depend how you are set up … some will have more and some will have less … just like the Brexit Topic itself your number is misleading :lol:

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 12 Sep 2018, 19:11

Manoverboard wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 16:53
towny44 wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 11:58
Onelife wrote:
Hi John/mob,

The number of pages will depend how you are set up … some will have more and some will have less … just like the Brexit Topic itself your number is misleading :lol:

That's the biggest load of 'number' ones l have ever read :lol:

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 13 Sep 2018, 18:52

What a good idea this Brexit is. The bonfire of red tape ....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rexit-deal

I know is it's fine, because non of you would ever consider driving on the mainland.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. XLVIII:C

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 13 Sep 2018, 19:38

Jack Staff wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 18:52

I know is it's fine, because non of you would ever consider driving on the mainland.

Hi Jack.....hope you had an enjoyable break? :)

Ok' it might entail a journey to find your nearest post office but once there you can purchase all the IDP's necessary for your European tour. If you intend touring eight countries it will cost less than a tank of petrol.....

hopefully it won't be a route we have to take?

Keith
Last edited by Onelife on 13 Sep 2018, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 13 Sep 2018, 19:42

Onelife wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 19:38
Jack Staff wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 18:52

Hi Jack.....hope you had an enjoyable break? :)

Ok' it might entail a journey to find your nearest post office but once there you can purchase all the IDP's necessary for your European tour. If you intend touring eight countries it will cost less than a tank of petrol.....

hopefully it won't be a route we have to take?

Keith
"AA pointing out that people driving to France then Spain after a No Deal would need two different International Driving Permits after a No Deal Brexit and points to NAO report doubting Post Office capacity to issue 7 million permits." Faisal Islam

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 13 Sep 2018, 19:46

The last section regarding EU licence holders says it all,....How welcoming we are to our friends, obviously cant be said of that lot.
And Jack, I spent 16 yrs driving around Europe and not in a car.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 13 Sep 2018, 19:57

screwy wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 19:46
The last section regarding EU licence holders says it all,....How welcoming we are to our friends, obviously cant be said of that lot.
And Jack, I spent 16 yrs driving around Europe and not in a car.
You should have bought a map.

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 13 Sep 2018, 19:59

That’s actually quite funny for you.
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 13 Sep 2018, 20:56

What a fuss about nothing. Having lived in the Fatherland for 15 years we were very accustomed to International Driving Licences, Green cards etc all obtained through our friendly ADAC, the German driving association. It's a non story but of course, our media will make a mountain out of a molehill. :roll:

I can't believe that as a nation we have become so incompetent that we feel we can't cope with something as simple as this, which the Germans managed all those years ago, or that we have become so reliant on being spoon fed by the EU that we can no longer manage and are expected to run around like headless chickens at the very thought. Isn't it time we got a grip!!!?
Last edited by oldbluefox on 13 Sep 2018, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 13 Sep 2018, 22:39

oldbluefox wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 20:56
What a fuss about nothing. Having lived in the Fatherland for 15 years we were very accustomed to International Driving Licences, Green cards etc all obtained through our friendly ADAC, the German driving association. It's a non story but of course, our media will make a mountain out of a molehill. :roll:

I can't believe that as a nation we have become so incompetent that we feel we can't cope with something as simple as this, which the Germans managed all those years ago, or that we have become so reliant on being spoon fed by the EU that we can no longer manage and are expected to run around like headless chickens at the very thought. Isn't it time we got a grip!!!?
Preferably around Junckers neck. :twisted:
John

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 13 Sep 2018, 23:35

The good news is that if house prices take a hit at least it will not effect the poorest among us, who generally don't own their own home.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -csgr9j0hj

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 14 Sep 2018, 10:04

From the 'passport' thread
johnds wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 07:19
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 18:09
david63 wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 16:04
Guess what - it is to to with Brexit!!!!
Wash your mouth out with soap Chief Modplod! :silent:
'Tis true

EU will reject passports with more than ten years validity
The reports I've seen suggest that people renew older passports to make sure that the term left is not too short.

I've seen nothing, apart from John's comment, to indicate that the EU won't accept passports with a term that's too LONG.

The EU clearly accepts passports now with more than 10 years validity, so why should this change after Brexit.

This sounds like a Project Fear thing to me, so I'd be grateful if a link could be supplied to the source of this information.

Thanks
Gill

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 14 Sep 2018, 10:14

Gill W wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:04
johnds wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
david63 wrote:
'Tis true

The reports I've seen suggest that people renew older passports to make sure that the term left is not too short.

I've seen nothing, apart from John's comment, to indicate that the EU won't accept passports with a term that's too LONG.

The EU clearly accepts passports now with more than 10 years validity, so why should this change after Brexit.

This sounds like a Project Fear thing to me, so I'd be grateful if a link could be supplied to the source of this information.

Thanks
On another forum it says it's is to do with Schengen, non Schengen countries have this 10 year limit applied, we currently escape this because we are EU members, but that may be equally untrue although it seems too much of a coincidence that its happening now as no deal policy is being reviewed.
John

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 14 Sep 2018, 10:15

Ray Scully wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 23:35
The good news is that if house prices take a hit at least it will not effect the poorest among us, who generally don't own their own home.

The flip side to that Ray is that it will allow first time buyers the chance to get onto the housing ladder instead of wasting their money on rented properties.
Mortgages may increase but most will l presume take on mortgages that take this into account....fixed etc.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 14 Sep 2018, 10:27

Gill W wrote:
johnds wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
david63 wrote:
'Tis true

Thanks
Here is a link about what could happen in the event of no deal.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 14 Sep 2018, 10:29

Onelife wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:15
Ray Scully wrote:

The flip side to that Ray is that it will allow first time buyers the chance to get onto the housing ladder instead of wasting their money on rented properties.
Mortgages may increase but most will l presume take on mortgages that take this into account....fixed etc.
Yes Oneline that would be a definite advantage, albeit it will hit the kids inheritance a tad, but they cant blame me, being a Remoaner. Interestingly and regarding mortgages, a neihbour had a revaluation last week to remortgage, the result a valuation 20% below the current going resale price. the reason "uncertain financial market conditions"

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 14 Sep 2018, 10:43

Hi Ray....l think we are looking at worst case scenarios. Carney was probably saying what could happen not what will happen at the government meeting yesterday.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 14 Sep 2018, 11:20

Onelife wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:43
Hi Ray....l think we are looking at worst case scenarios. Carney was probably saying what could happen not what will happen at the government meeting yesterday.

Anything COULD happen.
Do you remember Mr Osborne telling the world and his wife that house prices would tumble on the back of a vote to leave the EU.
If you can't remember, research it.
Did they tumble ?

Will they tumble when we leave?
Who knows?
One thing is for sure and that is prices are determined by supply and demand.
If demand falls, then so do prices, but by a THIRD ? Do me a favour Mr. Carney !

To quote Michelle Obama, when they go low, you go high.

Mrs May should be on national TV saying that no matter what impositions the EU wished to impose, we will not reciprocate.
If an EU national has an EU licence, you are still welcome to use it here.
If an EU national has an EU passport, you are still welcome to come on holiday with no visa.
All EU citizens who are here with jobs are very welcome to stay.
Come what may, the UK will not put up a hard border in Ireland.
If they wish to stop trains and planes, then that is their choice and they will live with the consequences, but the UK will do nothing to make it harder for people and goods to travel.

For some inexplicable reason, the EU still seems intent on 'punishing' the UK.
To what end and for who's gain?

Surely even the thickest EU zealot must realise that it's a two way street.

I was reading this morning about the decline in tourism in some Spanish resorts as a response to locals protesting about tourists.
No s*it Sherlock !
I'd never spend my money anywhere where I didn't feel welcome and obviously others feel the same.

At the end of the day, never forget the golden rule.
Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 14 Sep 2018, 11:45

towny44 wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:14
Gill W wrote:
johnds wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

'Tis true

Thanks
On another forum it says it's is to do with Schengen, non Schengen countries have this 10 year limit applied, we currently escape this because we are EU members, but that may be equally untrue although it seems too much of a coincidence that its happening now as no deal policy is being reviewed.
Thank you, that clarifies it in my mind
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 14 Sep 2018, 11:47

oldbluefox wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:27
Gill W wrote:
johnds wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

'Tis true

Thanks
Here is a link about what could happen in the event of no deal.
Thank you.

As it's what COULD happen, this will have to be put down to Project Fear, that's the rules! ;)
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 14 Sep 2018, 11:53

Onelife wrote:
Ray Scully wrote:

The problem when house prices drop, is that people who previously bought as First Time Buyers, risk getting into negative equity. Therefore, it can end up with less FTB homes on the market, so less choice for prospective FTB's. It also clogs up the rest of the housing market, because the people 'trapped' by negative equity can't trade up.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 14 Sep 2018, 11:56

Ray Scully wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 10:29
Onelife wrote:
Ray Scully wrote:

Yes Oneline that would be a definite advantage, albeit it will hit the kids inheritance a tad, but they cant blame me, being a Remoaner. Interestingly and regarding mortgages, a neihbour had a revaluation last week to remortgage, the result a valuation 20% below the current going resale price. the reason "uncertain financial market conditions"
The lender's valuation will always tend to be on the conservative side.
Gill

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 14 Sep 2018, 12:42

Onelife wrote:

and if the worst case scenario comes to pass Barney? As one of our villagers said this morning "I can't think of there being any benefits from Brexit worth me losing 10% of our house's value never mind a third" Could be squeaky bum time coming up :moresarcasm:

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 14 Sep 2018, 13:48

Ray Scully wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 12:42
Onelife wrote:

and if the worst case scenario comes to pass Barney? As one of our villagers said this morning "I can't think of there being any benefits from Brexit worth me losing 10% of our house's value never mind a third" Could be squeaky bum time coming up :moresarcasm:
The housing market has been over inflated for many years so a 10%+ devaluation in house prices has been due for a long time.

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds » 14 Sep 2018, 14:25

From the BBC
Electoral Commission got Brexit law wrong over Vote Leave, court rules

Anti-Brexit campaigner and Labour peer Lord Adonis said: "It sounds to me as if the Electoral Commission has not been doing its job properly. On the face of it, it seems to have been extremely incompetent."

In his judgement, Lord Justice Leggatt said the Electoral Commission had "misinterpreted the definition of 'referendum expenses'" as defined by the Political Parties, Elections and Referendum Act.
John

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 14 Sep 2018, 15:34

From what I believe john, the Leave campaign asked the Commission in advance for advice, took it and were then fined for doing what the Commission originally said was ok.
The commission have the right to appeal but I reckon they will just want to put it to bed.

So, for all those who squealed that they cheated, well, they didn't.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 14 Sep 2018, 16:28

Thought I'de mention how it's working out for some of the Brits presently living in France.

Those that bothered to ask have been informed that it ' may not be possible ' for them to continue to run their business(es) following a no deal Brexit / a good deal Brexit / any sort of Brexit and that the only way round it is to apply to become a French Citizen / National. So far so good except that when they apply the waiting queues and delays would potentially take them into 2020.

Vive La France, eh :wtf:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 14 Sep 2018, 16:29

barney wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:34

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45519676

'The High Court agreed with the Electoral Commission finding in July that Vote Leave had broken the law, but said the watchdog had misinterpreted the rules, in the run-up to the June 2016 referendum, in advice it gave to the Leave campaign'.

They did break the law though. (that's not squealing, that's just saying).

By the way, is it ok on this forum to refer to Brexiters as 'thick Brexit zealots'?
Gill

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 14 Sep 2018, 16:32

;) Yep :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 14 Sep 2018, 16:34

Gill W wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 16:29
barney wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 15:34

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45519676

'The High Court agreed with the Electoral Commission finding in July that Vote Leave had broken the law, but said the watchdog had misinterpreted the rules, in the run-up to the June 2016 referendum, in advice it gave to the Leave campaign'.

They did break the law though. (that's not squealing, that's just saying).

By the way, is it ok on this forum to refer to Brexiters as 'thick Brexit zealots'?
Seems reasonable to me but please just ignore it … it is NOT a personal insult nor will not be treated as such.

:yawn:

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 14 Sep 2018, 16:35

Only if it's ok to call Remainers Whingers
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 14 Sep 2018, 16:38

Gill If Carney's house price scenario is enacted they will be called worse than that :lol: That is if you can find any prepared to admit to being Brexiteers :sarcasm:

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 14 Sep 2018, 17:00

If house prices drop you get less for your house but you pay less for your new one so it all evens out. Funny how people have moaned about house prices being too high but now it could be that house prices may drop people are still moaning - at least some are.
Happy to be a Jolly Boy Brexiteer.

Golden Princess
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Golden Princess » 15 Sep 2018, 13:45

Oh Oldbluefox - if only it was that simplistic
Last edited by Golden Princess on 15 Sep 2018, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 15 Sep 2018, 13:52

oldbluefox wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 17:00
If house prices drop you get less for your house but you pay less for your new one so it all evens out. Funny how people have moaned about house prices being too high but now it could be that house prices may drop people are still moaning - at least some are.
OBF please spare a thought for those who bought into the buy to let market with their pensions.

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 » 15 Sep 2018, 14:02

Ray Scully wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 13:52
oldbluefox wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 17:00
OBF please spare a thought for those who bought into the buy to let market with their pensions.
ray....with respect you may lose some equity in the house but you will have been renting it out for the time you have had it, so will have accumulated some funds from it. also most will have put a deposit into the price which they are unlikely to lose.
regards gilly.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 15 Sep 2018, 14:12

Golden Princess wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 13:45
Oh Oldbluefox - if only it was that simplistic
The truth is, in any of these scenarios there are winners and losers. That's the stark realism.
Ray, if anybody has invested in buy to let property they will still be able to let their premises and take an income. The loss will come when and if they decide to sell. We returned to UK six months after property prices had surged in the late 80's. Not ideal but we just had to accept it with a forced smile.
Bear in mind this is Carney we are talking about who is not entirely reliable in his forecasts........... and not to be relied on in his promises either.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 15 Sep 2018, 15:37

https://inews.co.uk/news/no-deal-brexit ... f-england/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 38906.html

Call me a bit cynical, but does anyone else think that Carney has been briefed by No. 10 to promote May's Chequers deal.
Just saying !
Once upon a time, the Governor of The Bank of England was supposed to be politically neutral.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 15 Sep 2018, 15:40

oldbluefox wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 14:12

Bear in mind this is Carney we are talking about who is not entirely reliable in his forecasts........... and not to be relied on in his promises either.
According to this he's also predicting £16bn boost to the economy if there's a deal

We can't rely on that one either!

Edited to add - It does lean towards Barney's theory of Chequers promotion
Last edited by Gill W on 15 Sep 2018, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 15 Sep 2018, 15:47

barney wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 15:37
https://inews.co.uk/news/no-deal-brexit ... f-england/

Call me a bit cynical, but does anyone else think that Carney has been briefed by No. 10 to promote May's Chequers deal.
Just saying !
Once upon a time, the Governor of The Bank of England was supposed to be politically neutral.
Barney cynicality? thats the name of the game, you know £350M for the NHS, Dr Fox easiest trade deal in human history et al..

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 15 Sep 2018, 16:01

Gill W wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 15:40
oldbluefox wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 14:12

According to this he's also predicting £16bn boost to the economy if there's a deal

We can't rely on that one either!

Edited to add - It does lean towards Barney's theory of Chequers promotion
I agree. Carney makes more U-turns than you'll get on Top Gear. As with Bliar I wouldn't believe two words he strung together.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 15 Sep 2018, 16:06

Come on Guys, never mind who is being cynical, duplicitous or just telling lies, just let me have the route map to the Sunny Uplands, it will make my day

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ray Scully on 15 Sep 2018, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”