Is The World Going Mad???

Chat about anything here
User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5548
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Is The World Going Mad???

Post by david63 » 02 Dec 2018, 11:59

The other day my printer gave up the ghost so I had to buy a new one. The ridiculous thing is that it was cheaper (OK it was on offer) to buy a new printer than it was to buy a new set of printer cartridges!

This totally goes against everything that has to do with being environmentally friendly!

User avatar

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2855
Joined: January 2013
Location: Gower Peninsula, South Wales

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by GillD46 » 02 Dec 2018, 12:03

Yep! We have found exactly the same.
Gill

User avatar

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1420
Joined: June 2014

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Happydays » 02 Dec 2018, 14:58

Same thing happen with us. The old one is out in the garage ;)

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 02 Dec 2018, 16:39

Why ARE ink cartridges so expensive. It's just ink for gawd's sake with a little common as fresh air micro chip on the casing.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6715
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by oldbluefox » 02 Dec 2018, 17:13

Printers are relatively cheap so I suppose they have to recoup their money somehow. Personally I use compatible cartridges which are a fraction of the price and fine unless you want fine art prints. If I want print offs of photos I go down to my local supermarket and get a print from there.
I feel sure there is no need for cartridges to be so expensive. Pity you can't get compatibles with the same quality inks. I did once try refilling my own but that was a messy business and not entirely satisfactory.

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 02 Dec 2018, 18:37

oldbluefox wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 17:13
Printers are relatively cheap so I suppose they have to recoup their money somehow. Personally I use compatible cartridges which are a fraction of the price and fine unless you want fine art prints. If I want print offs of photos I go down to my local supermarket and get a print from there.
I feel sure there is no need for cartridges to be so expensive. Pity you can't get compatibles with the same quality inks. I did once try refilling my own but that was a messy business and not entirely satisfactory.


Same here


Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 529
Joined: September 2014

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Ranchi » 02 Dec 2018, 19:24

The cartridges in your new printer are not fully loaded so comparison between the cost of a set of new cartridges and a new printer isn’t straight forward. But yes, I agree it does seem wasteful and counter productive to have such a pricing structure.
I used to use reconditioned ink cartridges until I was doing some decorating and moved my printer and put it on the floor in another room. This obviously offended the sensibilities of said cartridge and it decided to spew its content as all over the carpet.
Only use ‘official’ cartridges now as I find them cheaper 😉

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4133
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by towny44 » 02 Dec 2018, 20:14

My Epsom always objects if I load compatible cartridges and, although I can and do override it, they always end up clogging up the nozzles and causing me days of cleaning the jets and nozzles, so I have capitulated and stick to expensive branded versions.

Towards the end of my purchasing career for a major dyes producer I was involved in sourcing some specialist raw materials for our Ink jet dyes business. We made very little profit on these so I can only assume that not only were the printer manufacturers screwing their customers, but their suppliers as well.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000


Whynd1
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 865
Joined: February 2013
Location: Gower, Swansea

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Whynd1 » 02 Dec 2018, 21:23

My Epson is the same Towny. My old one was also an Epson and I bought the cheaper cartridges and they clogged up the printer. I had to ditch it and buy a new one. So now I stick to the Epson cartridges and try not too print too much.


Lindsey

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6715
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by oldbluefox » 02 Dec 2018, 21:46

I use Canon printers which have their printer heads in the cartridge. I wonder if this is the problem with Epson. Are the print heads still built into the printer rather than the cartridge?

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4133
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by towny44 » 02 Dec 2018, 22:46

If there is a print head in the cartridge then I can't see it, so I assume they are in the printer, but no idea which system is better at preventing clogging.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6715
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by oldbluefox » 03 Dec 2018, 07:35

Years ago we had Epsoms at work and after a while the print quality was awful. In those days the print heads were in the printer and the cartridges just held the ink. The manuals said to carry out a print head clean but that made little difference. For that reason I have always used Canon at home with no problems at all. Every time I change a cartridge I get a new, clean print head.

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9243
Joined: February 2013

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 03 Dec 2018, 11:09

oldbluefox wrote:
02 Dec 2018, 21:46
I use Canon printers which have their printer heads in the cartridge. I wonder if this is the problem with Epson. Are the print heads still built into the printer rather than the cartridge?
Yes they are. But I use cheapie ones and it takes three or four years and several sets for them to clog the heads, by which time the price saving compared to branded is enough to buy a new printer with enough left over for almost a new PC as well!
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 03 Dec 2018, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7022
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Manoverboard » 03 Dec 2018, 13:03

I have a Canon IP4500 Printer, I chose it in part because it can print on printable CD / DVDs. I have only ever used Canon Print Cartridges.

ps … it's over 10 years old now and hasn't missed a beat :angel:

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2235
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by barney » 03 Dec 2018, 13:34

I've had an HP Officejet for about five years and use it daily for business.
I must confess to using counterfeit cartridges and the machine doesn't like it, but still works well and prints great.
When it gives up the ghost, I'll probably get similar again.
It does seem weird to get a machine cheaper than the ink ???
Last edited by barney on 03 Dec 2018, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.


Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3470
Joined: January 2013

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Quizzical Bob » 04 Dec 2018, 14:14

barney wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 13:34
I've had an HP Officejet for about five years and use it daily for business.
I must confess to using counterfeit cartridges and the machine doesn't like it, but still works well and prints great.
When it gives up the ghost, I'll probably get similar again.
It does seem weird to get a machine cheaper than the ink ???
The cartridges supplied with a new printer are a lot smaller than the replacement ones, which is where the printer manufacturer make their money. New printers are loss-leaders.

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 04 Dec 2018, 14:37

Quizzical Bob wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 14:14
barney wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 13:34
I've had an HP Officejet for about five years and use it daily for business.
I must confess to using counterfeit cartridges and the machine doesn't like it, but still works well and prints great.
When it gives up the ghost, I'll probably get similar again.
It does seem weird to get a machine cheaper than the ink ???
The cartridges supplied with a new printer are a lot smaller than the replacement ones, which is where the printer manufacturer make their money. New printers are loss-leaders.


I think you mean the amount if ink supplied in the cartridges of a new printer is less than replacement ones. :thumbup:


Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3470
Joined: January 2013

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Quizzical Bob » 04 Dec 2018, 19:39

Stephen wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 14:37
Quizzical Bob wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 14:14
barney wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 13:34
I've had an HP Officejet for about five years and use it daily for business.
I must confess to using counterfeit cartridges and the machine doesn't like it, but still works well and prints great.
When it gives up the ghost, I'll probably get similar again.
It does seem weird to get a machine cheaper than the ink ???
The cartridges supplied with a new printer are a lot smaller than the replacement ones, which is where the printer manufacturer make their money. New printers are loss-leaders.
That too.


I think you mean the amount if ink supplied in the cartridges of a new printer is less than replacement ones. :thumbup:

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 06 Dec 2018, 15:55

Well the time has come. The old Epsom XP-405 has finally given up the ghost. Whatever I do it just will not print. I suppose I can't grumble.....but I will :) as it's at least ten years old.

So, any recommendations anyone, and I don't want to spend a fortune.

I've always had Epsom printers, mainly because I can get non Epsom ink reasonably cheap.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6715
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by oldbluefox » 06 Dec 2018, 16:26

I would go fo Canon any day of the week. Beware buying the cheapest. When I was looking at new printers I was quite taken by how cheap some of the were until I realised they only had two cartridges. Pay a little extra and get one with four or five cartridges (depending on how much you want to pay).
Epsom printers at work were a pain in the neck but I have never had any issues with Canon. Compatible cartridges are cheap and easy to come by. Colour printing is not so vivid but unless you are doing high quality printing I've never found that a problem.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7022
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Manoverboard » 06 Dec 2018, 16:53

Canon every time.

My aging iP4500-ish machine has five carts where four of them will print very high quality photo prints. The fifth cart is a large black one which is used automatically for black / greyscale printing.

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 06 Dec 2018, 16:57

oldbluefox wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 16:26
I would go fo Canon any day of the week. Beware buying the cheapest. When I was looking at new printers I was quite taken by how cheap some of the were until I realised they only had two cartridges. Pay a little extra and get one with four or five cartridges (depending on how much you want to pay).
Epsom printers at work were a pain in the neck but I have never had any issues with Canon. Compatible cartridges are cheap and easy to come by. Colour printing is not so vivid but unless you are doing high quality printing I've never found that a problem.
Thanks Foxy. I don't do that much printing, the odd document or letter and that's about it so no point spending a fortune on an all singing and dancing printer. As long as it has wifi, a scanner feature and does double side printing, which most do, I'm happy. Oh, and I can get compatible replacement cartridges :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 06 Dec 2018, 17:08, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4133
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by towny44 » 06 Dec 2018, 17:00

I would recommend my Epson XP 335 which I bought for less than £30, but I cannot get it to like compatible cartridges, so maybe its a non starter for you.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 06 Dec 2018, 17:07

I was looking at that model John. It gets good reviews, but a non starter if it won't accept compatible cartridges. I'm certainly not forking out the silly money asked for genuine ones.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4133
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by towny44 » 06 Dec 2018, 18:00

Stephen wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 17:07
I was looking at that model John. It gets good reviews, but a non starter if it won't accept compatible cartridges. I'm certainly not forking out the silly money asked for genuine ones.
The nozzles clog up with the compatible., cartridges I have bought, but Merv has no issues with the ones he buys, so maybe you would be lucky.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 06 Dec 2018, 18:12

towny44 wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 18:00
Stephen wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 17:07
I was looking at that model John. It gets good reviews, but a non starter if it won't accept compatible cartridges. I'm certainly not forking out the silly money asked for genuine ones.
The nozzles clog up with the compatible., cartridges I have bought, but Merv has no issues with the ones he buys, so maybe you would be lucky.

Merv doesn't buy them. They're part of his BBC pension :D

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5548
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by david63 » 06 Dec 2018, 22:32

I just bought the Epson XP-6005 £50 (down from £150) at PC World/Currys and compatible cartridges are available.

It prints, scans, copies is wi-fi friendly as well as air-print.

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 07 Dec 2018, 08:08

Could be what I'm after David. Did the printer come with any ink?

A couple of draw back backs from several reviews are, you have to lift the control pane forward every time you want to print and the print tray is flimsy and fiddly to pull out.

Cheapest price for compatible in on Amazon was £25 with good reviews of performance.

Last edited by Stephen on 07 Dec 2018, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5548
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by david63 » 07 Dec 2018, 08:25

Stephen wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 08:08
Did the printer come with any ink?
Yes
Stephen wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 08:08
you have to lift the control pane forward every time you want to print
I just leave the output tray out all the time. My one criticism is that depending on where you have the printer the control panel can be difficult to read.
Stephen wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 08:08
the print tray is flimsy and fiddly to pull out.
Perhaps, but you get used to it and is probably no worse than any other printer.

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 07 Dec 2018, 08:48

Thanks David.
Last edited by Stephen on 07 Dec 2018, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4133
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by towny44 » 07 Dec 2018, 10:05

I have had a Lexmark, Brother, HP and currently an Epson printer, never had 2 of the same brand and all have performed well, for their time, and all lasted a few years and none failed too early. The replacements have all been the best deal I could achieve for the specification I wanted, after on line research and, where possible, checking them out physically in Currys or Comet to ensure they would fit on my desk shelf. The only downside to this is that I have been left with lots of useless cartridges.
Last edited by towny44 on 07 Dec 2018, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9384
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Stephen » 07 Dec 2018, 10:19

towny44 wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 10:05
I have had a Lexmark, Brother, HP and currently an Epson printer, never had 2 of the same brand and all have performed well, for their time, and all lasted a few years and none failed too early. The replacements have all been the best deal I could achieve for the specification I wanted, after on line research and, where possible, checking them out physically in Currys or Comet to ensure they would fit on my desk shelf. The only downside to this is that I have been left with lots of useless cartridges.

See if the local gun club will take them :lol:

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9243
Joined: February 2013

Re: Is The World Going Mad???

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 07 Dec 2018, 10:59

towny44 wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 10:05
The only downside to this is that I have been left with lots of useless cartridges.
Yes they're cunning aren't they. Very careful to make sure the latest model won't use the old cartridges. Even if you buy the same brand. Thus ensuring waste and new purchases. Was it Heinz who said the profit on tomato ketchup was the last bit you couldn't get out of the bottle?
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 07 Dec 2018, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”