Chat about anything here

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 14 Mar 2019, 18:59

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 17:55
I saw yesterday that the French are now spending millions to beef up security on the Channel Tunnel to stop anyone getting through.who shouldn't in the event of a no deal. Shame they didn't do that before.
That's probably to stop the flood of Brits who want to live in a free continent.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 14 Mar 2019, 19:04

Jack Staff wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 18:59
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 17:55
I saw yesterday that the French are now spending millions to beef up security on the Channel Tunnel to stop anyone getting through.who shouldn't in the event of a no deal. Shame they didn't do that before.
That's probably to stop the flood of Brits who want to live in a free continent.
:sarcasm: :lol: last time I checked there were no fences a Dover. Off you go.!

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 14 Mar 2019, 19:09

barney wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 19:04
:sarcasm: :lol: last time I checked there were no fences a Dover. Off you go.!
What? and miss all chances to say "I told you so"? Naaa, not me.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec » 14 Mar 2019, 20:02

Reading reports that the Chief Whip, Julian Smith, abstained in the vote against extension. Whichever side you're on, this rather beggars belief.

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 14 Mar 2019, 20:09

Chief Whip abstained because he wanted to retain impartiality btw two sides of Tory party - so didn't vote with the PM - maybe understandable, but kind of unimagineable until this time.
{Kuenssberg}

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 14 Mar 2019, 20:29

I’ve heard it all now.
The Brexit Secretary has just voted against the motion that he’d just been arguing for.
Anyone got a better word than Omnishambles?
{Nick Robinson}

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 14 Mar 2019, 21:36

I just listened to a Labour Shadow Cabinet Member saying he wouldn't vote for Theresa May's deal because the backstop risked us remaining in a customs union for an indefinite period. Instead he promoted Labour's policy.....of staying in a customs union.......for ever.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 14 Mar 2019, 21:49

Mae West — 'I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.'

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 14 Mar 2019, 22:14

I love the word Omnishambles. It's one of my favourites. Mind you I also like the word Cookie. What does that say about me?

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 14 Mar 2019, 22:25

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 21:36
I just listened to a Labour Shadow Cabinet Member saying he wouldn't vote for Theresa May's deal because the backstop risked us remaining in a customs union for an indefinite period. Instead he promoted Labour's policy.....of staying in a customs union.......for ever.
Let me explain...
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I just listened to a Labour Shadow Cabinet Member saying he wouldn't vote for Theresa May's deal because the backstop risked us remaining in the customs union for an indefinite period. Instead he promoted Labour's policy.....of staying in a customs union.......for ever.
There, fixed it for you. You're welcome.

This also explains why Corbyn will not win "by a landslide".

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 14 Mar 2019, 22:44

Jack Staff wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 22:25
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Let me explain...
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I just listened to a Labour Shadow Cabinet Member saying he wouldn't vote for Theresa May's deal because the backstop risked us remaining in the customs union for an indefinite period. Instead he promoted Labour's policy.....of staying in a customs union.......for ever.
There, fixed it for you. You're welcome.

This also explains why Corbyn will not win "by a landslide".
I thought it was only NI who were staying in THE customs union, we supposedly will not be tied to the EU, although we will continue to enjoy the benefits of EU membership but without needing to pay for them; which of course we will under Labour's proposal.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 14 Mar 2019, 22:51

towny44 wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 22:44
I thought it was only NI who were staying in THE customs union,
If that were the case the DUP would bring down the government
towny44 wrote:
we supposedly will not be tied to the EU, although we will continue to enjoy the benefits of EU membership but without needing to pay for them; which of course we will under Labour's proposal.
I'll let Barney explain this bit. You wouldn't listen to me.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 14 Mar 2019, 23:10

Jack Staff wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 22:51
towny44 wrote:
I thought it was only NI who were staying in THE customs union,
If that were the case the DUP would bring down the government
towny44 wrote:
we supposedly will not be tied to the EU, although we will continue to enjoy the benefits of EU membership but without needing to pay for them; which of course we will under Labour's proposal.
I'll let Barney explain this bit. You wouldn't listen to me.
Ah gee Jack I thought you liked picking me up and correcting me on the occasional error. Yes of course we will be tied to EU but not in the same customs framework as NI, which is why Arlene's knickers are twisted.
John

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 14 Mar 2019, 23:13

One thought I do not want in my mind is Arlene Fosters knickers, :sick:

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 15 Mar 2019, 07:36

Labour's proposal of A customs union with the UK allowed to do trade deals with others and have a say on the rules is as unacceptable to the EU as the permanent back stop is to the Dup. One sentence from Brussels changes it all.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 15 Mar 2019, 08:27

I doubt that even a death sentence is going to extricate us from the current mess.
John

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 15 Mar 2019, 09:31

Ban pre - grated Irish cheddar. Make Britain grate again. :)

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 15 Mar 2019, 09:51

Good old Jack. Expert in the art of pedantry! :lol:

Any customs union would shackle us to EU rules without a say in them and bar or seriously limit our ability to negotiate our own trade deals.

The separation of Northern Ireland on its own in a customs union is not the backstop. It's the EU's idea of how the rest of the UK can escape the backstop if trade talks fail.

The much simpler explanation is the Labour guy is talking cobblers and playing politics. Nothing to do with the good of the country. Like his leader.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 15 Mar 2019, 09:52, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 15 Mar 2019, 09:53

barney wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 09:31
Ban pre - grated Irish cheddar. Make Britain grate again. :)
:lol:

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 15 Mar 2019, 10:32

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 09:51

Any customs union would shackle us to EU rules without a say in them and bar or seriously limit our ability to negotiate our own trade deals.

The separation of Northern Ireland on its own in a customs union is not the backstop. It's the EU's idea of how the rest of the UK can escape the backstop if trade talks fail.

The much simpler explanation is the Labour guy is talking cobblers and playing politics. Nothing to do with the good of the country. Like his leader.
Good old Merv.
Just because I don't agree with your point of view, I must be a Corbyn loving red under the bed lefty. (BTW, I was agreeing with you #5210)
Corbyn is now your only hope of Brexit. He has enabled this situation. Any competent leader of the opposition would have stopped this fiasco long ago.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 15 Mar 2019, 10:55

Jack Staff wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 10:32
Corbyn is now your only hope of Brexit. He has enabled this situation. Any competent leader of the opposition would have stopped this fiasco long ago.
Corbyn's Brexit is a non starter, he must know the EU won't allow him to participate in trade talks and we would not be able to have independent trade deals, its just smoke and mirrors so he can sound as though he has a viable alternative. And he could never agree to support Mays deal after dismissing it as worthless for so long.
John

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 15 Mar 2019, 11:01

towny44 wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 10:55
Corbyn's Brexit is a non starter, he must know the EU won't allow him to participate in trade talks and we would not be able to have independent trade deals, its just smoke and mirrors so he can sound as though he has a viable alternative. And he could never agree to support Mays deal after dismissing it as worthless for so long.
Yes, but May would not have got this far if Corbyn didn't want her to. Lexit is just as bad as the Blukip Brexit.

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 15 Mar 2019, 11:13

Jack Staff wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:01
towny44 wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 10:55
Yes, but May would not have got this far if Corbyn didn't want her to. Lexit is just as bad as the Blukip Brexit.
I think I might need that translating Jack. :?
John

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 15 Mar 2019, 11:25

towny44 wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:13
Jack Staff wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:01
Lexit is just as bad as the Blukip Brexit.
I think I might need that translating Jack. :?
Labour Brexit is just as bad as the Conservative Brexit.

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 15 Mar 2019, 11:35

Me thinks Towny was just pulling your chain Jack..
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 15 Mar 2019, 11:36

Jack Staff wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 10:32
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 09:51

Good old Merv.
Just because I don't agree with your point of view, I must be a Corbyn loving red under the bed lefty. (BTW, I was agreeing with you #5210)
Where did I say you were a lefty? I hinted the member of Corbyn's shadow cabinet was!

I accused you of being a master of pedantry. Surely a badge you wear with pride? But the point is any customs union has the same effect. And Corbyn's version of Brexit is the worst. LINO.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 15 Mar 2019, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 15 Mar 2019, 11:48

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:36
I accused you of being a master of pedantry. Surely a badge you wear with pride? But the point is any customs union has the same effect. And Corbyn's version of Brexit is the worst. LINO.
Now I want to be pedantic.
I agreed with you that the two were the same, by highlighting the fact (in your post).
But hey ho.

As for Corbyn's version of Brexit, that is akin to arguing over which is worst, rocks or sharks at the bottom of the cliff.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 15 Mar 2019, 12:13

Following on from the vote in the house last evening re a second referendum - 85 ( in favour ) vs 334 (opposed ) can we assume that the second referendum / peoples vote notion is as dead as a DoDo or will there be a second / third vote ?

;)

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 15 Mar 2019, 12:16

Remind me, when is Theresa bringing back her meaningful vote again? Is it Tuesday or Wednesday?

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 15 Mar 2019, 12:20

I think it will be Tuesday …. and yours ?

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 15 Mar 2019, 12:53

23rd March in London. Let's hope the weather improves. The kids striking for climate change today in Bideford looked perished.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 15 Mar 2019, 13:02

Jack Staff wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:48
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:36
Now I want to be pedantic.
I agreed with you that the two were the same, by highlighting the fact (in your post).
But hey ho.

As for Corbyn's version of Brexit, that is akin to arguing over which is worst, rocks or sharks at the bottom of the cliff.
My apologies Jack.

To silly old me it looked as if you'd changed one of my words before highlighting it.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W » 15 Mar 2019, 13:06

Manoverboard wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 12:13
Following on from the vote in the house last evening re a second referendum - 85 ( in favour ) vs 334 (opposed ) can we assume that the second referendum / peoples vote notion is as dead as a DoDo or will there be a second / third vote ?

;)
Yes, I think there'll be other votes.

Even the People's Vote campaign seem quite sanguine about this.

second/third/fourth votes seem to be all the rage in Parliament at present
Gill

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 15 Mar 2019, 13:16

Manoverboard wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 12:13

;)
Not dead Moby, just resting … sleeping … taking a little break :thumbup:

They will be back in a short while, once again claiming that they have the majority behind them and that given the chance, the would walk it because some opinion poll said that they would.

As I've said previously, I'm personally not too bothered if there was another referendum.
My concern would be the question asked.
If it was the same as the original one I.E. leave or remain, I think Leave would narrowly win again.

All the pre-ref talk of the EU not really having all this control over our lives has proved to be untrue, as we have now found out.
The EU, as a political institution has massive control over how we live and what we decide.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 15 Mar 2019, 14:28

may.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 15 Mar 2019, 15:03

Manoverboard wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 12:20
I think it will be Tuesday …. and yours ?
Not mine. As I have said repeatedly, referendums are stupid and have no place in our Parliamentary democracy.
Look at the chaos caused by the last one.
But we are where we are and if another is the only way out, then so be it.

I would prefer that our Glorious Leader put country before party and just revoked Article 50. Now the only sensible choice.
As she has proved to be anything but 'strong and stable', the chances of that are slim at best.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 15 Mar 2019, 15:12

Ray Scully wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 14:28
may.jpg
:clap: that's brilliant Ray.

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 16 Mar 2019, 12:11

bn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 16 Mar 2019, 14:37

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 17 Mar 2019, 09:25

For which side? The beret looks tres Francais!

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 17 Mar 2019, 11:33

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 09:25
Is it a sober Juncker? :lol:

screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by screwy » 17 Mar 2019, 13:56

oldbluefox wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 11:33
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 09:25
Is it a sober Juncker? :lol:
Youll never find one of those.. :lol:
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Mar 2019, 14:20

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... en-EU.html

Juncker, Tusk, Verhofstadt, Selmyr & Weber have collectively done more to boost Brexit than Farage, Boris, Gove and JRM.

Add in Frau Merkel's admission of about 1 million new 'EU' citizens, all with free movement.

The EU is rampant with politicians who have been booted out in their own countries, which is probably why Cameron, Osborn and Clegg were so keen to stay.
They could see £ signs and future jobs.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 17 Mar 2019, 15:13

Says it all.

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 17 Mar 2019, 23:40

"If we agree this deal – we face an even greater humiliation in the second phase.
We must now discover some willingness to resist or the diet of capitulation is set to continue."
{Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson}

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 18 Mar 2019, 08:45

I wouldn't worry about that Jack. Haven't you told us Boris is a liar?

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 18 Mar 2019, 09:22

Jack Staff wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 23:40
"If we agree this deal – we face an even greater humiliation in the second phase.
We must now discover some willingness to resist or the diet of capitulation is set to continue."
{Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson}
Since he wants May's job you would hardly expect a ringing endorsement.
John

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Mar 2019, 09:34

I thought it was good to see Brexiters finally coming together, with Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson agreeing with Jacob Rees-Mog's "Vassal state" comments and Farage's 'Brexit Betrayal' march (snigger).

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 18 Mar 2019, 11:24

I'm sure it was reported this morning that Moggy was leaning towards backing the WA if the DUP come onboard...they will so it's only a matter of time before Theresa dose what she has always said she will do which is to get us out of the EU.

:clap:

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Mar 2019, 11:27

Onelife wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 11:24
I'm sure it was reported this morning that Moggy was leaning towards backing the WA if the DUP come onboard...
"May’s new offer to the DUP is that if the backstop comes into force and if the EU imposes new business or food rules on Northern Ireland, those rules would also be adopted in Great Britain. Amazingly some ministers believe the DUP will capitulate and vote for her Brexit deal on Tuesday."
{Peston}

Return to “General Chat”