Brexit

Chat about anything here

Golden Princess
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Brexit

Post by Golden Princess » 14 Apr 2019, 19:02

Sorry towny44, but I had to laugh at that!

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 14 Apr 2019, 22:29

Golden Princess wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 19:02
Sorry towny44, but I had to laugh at that!
My pleasure GP but that's what we brexiteers do, we always try to bring pleasure to everyone, we are not selfish at all. ;)
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Golden Princess
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Golden Princess » 14 Apr 2019, 22:41

And that made me smile!

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 15 Apr 2019, 18:58

I know it’s a bit early for “Cuckoo’s” but this old bird certainly sounds like one…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT1Yh32oeBw

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 16 Apr 2019, 05:19

towny44 wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 18:08
That's typical of a lot of remainers, twisting every single thing to try and disparage everything about brexit and its supporters.
Since brexiteers take the truth and twist it into a land of unicorns and rainbows :crazy: , why would you be surprised that someone needs to twist it back into reality? :angel:

Although I am guessing the over defensive ad hominems are because you don't do satire well :think:

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by towny44 » 16 Apr 2019, 09:21

Kendhni wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 05:19
towny44 wrote:
That's typical of a lot of remainers, twisting every single thing to try and disparage everything about brexit and its supporters.
Since brexiteers take the truth and twist it into a land of unicorns and rainbows :crazy: , why would you be surprised that someone needs to twist it back into reality? :angel:

Although I am guessing the over defensive ad hominems are because you don't do satire well :think:
You must be correct, clearly I am too thick and immature to be able to cope with satire. :sarcasm:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 16 Apr 2019, 12:38

towny44 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 09:21
Kendhni wrote:
towny44 wrote:

You must be correct, clearly I am too thick and immature to be able to cope with satire. :sarcasm:
After the last time, I wouldn't dare disagree with you ;)

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Apr 2019, 14:08

towny44 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 09:21
Kendhni wrote:
towny44 wrote:

I must be a bit thick as well John, because I have been reading about the upcoming EU Parliament elections and according to what I've read, they are all going to win it !

The Liberals say that as the only anti Brexit party, the majority will vote for them
The Greens say that as the only anti Brexit party, the majority will vote for them
Change UK says that as the only anti Brexit party, the majority will vote for them
UKIP says that as the only REAL Brexit party, the majority will vote for them
The Brexit Party says that as the only REAL Brexit party, the majority will vote for them

Labour says, you show me the fence and I'll sit on it. Our leader is desperate to leave , but many don't really want to.
The Conservatives say nothing. They are just keeping their heads down.

So, we may end up with a tie between LibDems, Greens, Change UK, UKIP and ….. The Brexit Party.

Or … none of them :crazy:

Do you reckon that the country is split on this issue ? :lol:

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec » 17 Apr 2019, 14:22

barney wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 14:08

The Liberals say that as the only anti Brexit party, the majority will vote for them
The Greens say that as the only anti Brexit party, the majority will vote for them
Change UK says that as the only anti Brexit party, the majority will vote for them
UKIP says that as the only REAL Brexit party, the majority will vote for them
The Brexit Party says that as the only REAL Brexit party, the majority will vote for them

Labour says, you show me the fence and I'll sit on it. Our leader is desperate to leave , but many don't really want to.
The Conservatives say nothing. They are just keeping their heads down.

So, we may end up with a tie between LibDems, Greens, Change UK, UKIP and ….. The Brexit Party.

Or … none of them :crazy:

Do you reckon that the country is split on this issue ? :lol:
I no longer believe polls; however, here, FWIW, is the latest on the EU election outcome:

Brexit Party 27%
Labour 22%
Conservative 15%
Lib Dem 9%
UKIP 7%
Change UK 6%
SNP 4%

YouGov Apr 16

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 » 17 Apr 2019, 15:19

Is anyone really interested in the EU elections. I bet the vast majority do not know who their MEP is and if they do I doubt they know to which party they belong - unless it happens to be Mr Farage!

Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Ray Scully » 17 Apr 2019, 15:30

david63 wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 15:19
Is anyone really interested in the EU elections. I bet the vast majority do not know who their MEP is and if they do I doubt they know to which party they belong - unless it happens to be Mr Farage!
WE in Lancashire had the infamous Conservative Den Dover who had to pay back £500'000 of misappropriated expenses :thumbdown:

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Apr 2019, 16:05

Ray Scully wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 15:30
david63 wrote:
WE in Lancashire had the infamous Conservative Den Dover who had to pay back £500'000 of misappropriated expenses :thumbdown:
I think I once saw his brother Ben Dover in a film. Can't think of the title but I believe he played a plumber :lol:

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney » 17 Apr 2019, 16:07

david63 wrote:
I've never voted in an EU election before David but will make the effort for this one. Have a guess where my cross will go. :relaxed:

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 17 Apr 2019, 16:09

Never heard of her … was the offence about getting single fares, rather than returns, between Brussels and Strasburg ? :shock:

ps … I will be getting my first time voting advice from Barney 8-)

pps … with hindsight Ben Dover does ring a bell :wtf:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 17 Apr 2019, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec » 17 Apr 2019, 16:14

david63 wrote:
I am, in so far as the brexit side seem very much more organised than remain, who don't seem to have any sort of organised response ready to defeat Farage. And would a win by the Brexit Party in the EU elections remove any suggestion of another referendum/people's vote?
Last edited by anniec on 17 Apr 2019, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob » 17 Apr 2019, 16:18

towny44 wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 16:44
I am awaiting Bob's validation and if he can prove his figures, to my satisfaction, I will accept his data.
Hi Towny,

I hadn't forgotten but things have been a bit hectic lately.

We were discussing the net financial benefit or otherwise of our membership of the EU. We have a good idea as to what the direct costs are to HMG. In 2017 the net contribution was £8.9bn, which was a lot less than the infamous figure of '£350bn a week'. Within this amount are other sums which we would wtill pay somehow were we not in the EU. Some of our Foreign Aid is handled through the EU and comes out of our contributions. In 2016 the UK spent £13.6bn on foreign aid which represents our commitment of 0.7% of our Gross National Income.

I gave a figure of about £20bn benefit from our membership of the EU which arises from the government revenues on the extra economic activity that results from our full membership of the SIngle Market. Of course this figure is open to dispute and discussion and nobody has ever sat down and calculated an exact amount because, of course, we haven't left the Single Market yet. Leaving the EU is going to hit the economy and depending on the final trading arrangements the negative effects range from bad (EEA), to very bad (PTA) to disastrous (WTO).

So in short, we can never talk only about the financial contributions to the EU without also considering the financial benefits. How much weight you want to put on them depends on where you stand.

Have a look at this World Bank study, especially Table 6 on Page 19
http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/ ... PS7947.pdf

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-memb ... 5-million/

Return to “General Chat”