Chat about anything here

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Coronavirus - Self isolation - Tips

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 18:24
Your posh. I've got a pastie, oven chips and baked beans myself (Heinz of course)
My good lady recently suggested we should switch to quality beans from Heinz rather than Tescos own brand, so we did. However both of us agreed the Heinz ones tasted ghastly and we switched back to good old Tesco. One further point I noted was that the top 15-20% of the H variety was sauce whereas the Tesco cans have beans up to the brim.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

I see some are still ignoring social distancing, like the fried brains in Coventry who held a barbecue party for twrnty freinds........an on the spot £1000 fine would see them all getting burnt fingers.
Last edited by Onelife on 24 Mar 2020, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Gill W wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 16:36
We went out to do our Sainsbury's shopping this morning, and proper social distancing has now been brought in.

We had to queue up outside (everyone maintained a proper distance from each other) and they let us in to the store in batches of 20. Store staff and security guards were doing the marshalling. the atmosphere was calm, and everyone way complying. Some shelves were still depleted but lots of fresh food. We got everything we needed, so I'm hoping this will calm everyone down. That's our shopping done until next week. We have our daily permitted exercise, but apart from that, we won't be leaving the house.
Pretty much our plan with the exception that I'll be using my allowed one exercise per day to walk the dog. I tested our usual route by the canal today and it was very quiet and easy to pass the few going the other way at a safe distance.

Topic author
Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 18:56
…. I'll be using my allowed one exercise per day to walk the dog. I tested our usual route by the canal today and it was very quiet and easy to pass the few going the other way at a safe distance.
It would be for those of you who can walk on water :)

jacksparrow
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jacksparrow »

I nipped into Morrison’s and the tills now have screens on them. They were disgusting so proves how much debris gets sprayed onto the staff on the tills. I usually do self service and staff were marking out two metres on the floor to space people
The pesky scarfaced pirate

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

There was a woman and an old chap from Stockton on TV tonight doing their shopping. She was asked what she was doing out. Quite obliviously she said she had been shopping for some shower cleaner. She was asked did she not realise people should not be out she said she didn't know as she didn't watch the news. :o
Some people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them!!! :lol:

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

oldbluefox wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 19:07
There was a woman and an old chap from Stockton on TV tonight doing their shopping. She was asked what she was doing out. Quite obliviously she said she had been shopping for some shower cleaner. She was asked did she not realise people should not be out she said she didn't know as she didn't watch the news. :o
i wont tell anyone Foxy :thumbup: :wave:

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

Weeeeeellllll!!!! Where has the woman been this last few weeks? Give me strength!!!

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

barney wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 17:42
We won’t need calming down Gill, we’ve never over reacted in the first place.😉
I was talking about people in general.

Not ‘people on this forum’ :wtf:
Gill

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

How careful are people being with both parcel and food deliveries? My mother came from Louth in Lincolnshire and when we visited family each year we always brought back with us some proper Lincolnshire sausages from the butcher in Louth. They are delicious, nothing like the Lincolnshire sausages you can get in the supermarket. I discovered that they now have an on line ordering service and I've had sausages from them before. I ordered some more last week along with some proper Lincolnshire Plum bread, real treat. So the package arrived this morning having come overnight, all properly chilled. I received advance notice that the driver - DPD - would put the parcel on the doorstep, ring the bell and retreat to the gate to wait while I answered. So when the bell rang I left the doors open between the kitchen where I was and the front door so I didn't have to touch the knobs on the return journey. I unpacked the sausages onto a chopping board, got rid of the packing in the dustbin without touching any door knobs then washed my hands and put antibac spray on the work top and put the scissors I used to open the pack in the dishwasher. I then put the sausages in freezer bags and then in the freezer. After that, washed my hands again and used antibac wipes on the handles of the freezer and then washed the chopping board and then cleaned it again with antibac spray. I also sprayed the top of the green wheelie bin. After that I was exhausted! Is this over the top do you think. What precautions do people take with supermarket deliveries?

Carole

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

Anti-Bacterial spray is of no use against Coronavirus
For that you need an Anti-Viral spray which at the moment are like hen's teeth
John

Topic author
Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

CaroleF wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 12:47
………… Is this over the top do you think. What precautions do people take with supermarket deliveries?
Carole
It deffo more thorough than in our house :oops:

Had a Sainsbug delivery this very morning .. the driver arrived and I went out the front door towards his van to ask him to put the bagged foodstuffs in the provided boxes in our garage. No way Hose, he isn't allowed to touch our boxes so he put it all on the garage floor. After he had gone I went to the garage and put the bags into the boxes and transferred them to the kitchen floor. I believe that the boxes will remain virus free at the points where I will be touching them. I was wearing latex gloves for the transfer and now it's time to put it all away. Using my right hand I removed one item from one of the bags and put into the appropriate cupboard, I had opened all the unit / freezer doors with my gloved left hand. Having finally put it all away I removed my latex gloves and put them straight into the bin along with the bags.

At this juncture I thoroughly washed my hands in hot soapy water … why did I do that given that I had been wearing gloves :?

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

This chap's videos were recommended to me by a senior hospital consultant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNQUHc8wbRc

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Oh dear. You are all making me feel mean. I have been telling Sue that she is going too far with her precautions, and they are nowhere near as strict as either Carole or MOB. We did a click and collect at Sainsburys near us this afternoon. I picked the stuff out of the crates in the car park and put them into our bags in the back of my car with bare hands. Got in the car and put anti viral foam on my hands. When we got home we put all the stuff away with bare hands with no precautions except we washed our hands when we had finished. In fact I think I nicked a chocolate biscuit with bare hands before we finished.

There doesn't seem to be any wholemeal bread flour, self raising flour, chicken, eggs, or bananas in the country.

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

anniec wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 13:56
This chap's videos were recommended to me by a senior hospital consultant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNQUHc8wbRc
Interesting annice... thank you.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Frank Manning wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:10
Oh dear. You are all making me feel mean. I have been telling Sue that she is going too far with her precautions, and they are nowhere near as strict as either Carole or MOB. We did a click and collect at Sainsburys near us this afternoon. I picked the stuff out of the crates in the car park and put them into our bags in the back of my car with bare hands. Got in the car and put anti viral foam on my hands. When we got home we put all the stuff away with bare hands with no precautions except we washed our hands when we had finished. In fact I think I nicked a chocolate biscuit with bare hands before we finished.

There doesn't seem to be any wholemeal bread flour, self raising flour, chicken, eggs, or bananas in the country.
Plenty of eggs in our M&S on Monday.

Our local farm shop had some as well, limited to six or twelve if you were buying other stuff.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Onelife wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:11
anniec wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 13:56
Interesting annice... thank you.
I agree. I sent the link to family members and friends. Thanks

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Frank Manning wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:10

I got eggs and cooked chicken breasts from Tesco today, and they had so many bananas it looked like a jungle.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Thanks Gents for the info. It must be the Bournemouth greed syndrome which is still stripping the shelves round here. Our daughter is on the lookout for us in Christchurch area.

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Very interesting and frightening video. I'm certainly conscious of stuff coming into the house. When the post comes junk mail goes into the bin unopened. Other stuff is opened and tipped out of envelopes which are then binned. Then hands are washed. When I shop, which I have to do because we can't get a delivery, I wear disposable gloves which are binned as soon as the car is loaded. And at home it's hand wash again. Having watched that I think I'll be quarantining everything I buy in the garage for a few days before it gets any further. At least with only shopping once a week if I take anything into the car it will be sterile by the time I next use it.

To be honest our biggest fear is not us. We can isolate. It's our daughter who works in a care home where social distancing is impossible and protective equipment is scarcer than in hospitals.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 26 Mar 2020, 10:05, edited 2 times in total.

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

How to keep fit

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

johnds wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 13:17
Anti-Bacterial spray is of no use against Coronavirus
For that you need an Anti-Viral spray which at the moment are like hen's teeth
Not quite true due to the nature of the coronavirus. I can't remember the full details but there is something about this strain of the virus that is damaged by the alcohol in 'high-alcohol' hand gels. However soap, water and proper washing is most effective.

Topic author
Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

We are ok regarding food supplies at the moment but all our main meals are being cooked.

That poses the question …. is it safe to eat supermarket salad stuffs ?

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

We've just had a tesco delivery for just under £200.......everything as ordered bar one bottle of milk. The driver said the shelves a full again (ludlow)

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 10:44
We are ok regarding food supplies at the moment but all our main meals are being cooked.

Yes if you wash it in soap and water while singing happy birthday.......just saying :lol:

Most of our salad stuff are pre packed so one would assume they will be ok?

Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ray B »

Manoverboard wrote:

You can let us know in a week's time Moby.
Don't worry, be happy

Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ray B »

oldbluefox wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 19:07

Alleged, Not in North Korea, first suspect was shot on orders from uncle Kim and were stating they are still virus free, unless someone has an update.
Don't worry, be happy

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Ray B wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 10:56
Manoverboard wrote:

You can let us know in a week's time Moby.
Naah Ray....what would we do without our Mobymod.......He should send it to me so l can test it for him......how kind is that? :)

Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ray B »

No doubt in return for of a box of Kiefie chocs.
Don't worry, be happy

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Well we are now officially barred from Sainsburys on line. At first it was just impossible to get a slot. Then they prioritised over 70s and the vulnerable but missed us, but we could ring their number to get that rectified. But we couldn't get through. Now they're only delivering to those on the government's most vulnerable list, which doesn't include just being old nor Trish's asthma. It has to be severe asthma to qualify. So it's back to braving the crumblies' hour next Monday.

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Ray B wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 11:22
Have you tried to book a delivery slot for those? :sarcasm:

Topic author
Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Onelife wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 10:55
Manoverboard wrote:

Yes if you wash it in soap and water while singing happy birthday.......just saying :lol:

Most of our salad stuff are pre packed so one would assume they will be ok?
Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I have a delivery pass which I can't use now.

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 11:27
Ray B wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 11:22
Have you tried to book a delivery slot for those? :sarcasm:

Is the recycling tip also doing deliveries now :D
Last edited by Stephen on 26 Mar 2020, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

[quote="Ray B" post_id=265399 time=1585221777 user_id=439

No doubt in return for of a box of Kiefie chocs

l've been advised by HMG to suspend deliveries other than to those of a more appreciate nature....just saying! :)
Last edited by Onelife on 26 Mar 2020, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

.....and stomachs of iron

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 11:26
Well we are now officially barred from Sainsburys on line. At first it was just impossible to get a slot. Then they prioritised over 70s and the vulnerable but missed us, but we could ring their number to get that rectified. But we couldn't get through. Now they're only delivering to those on the government's most vulnerable list, which doesn't include just being old nor Trish's asthma. It has to be severe asthma to qualify. So it's back to braving the crumblies' hour next Monday.
Should have moved to Ludlow...Just saying!

Not helpful l know Merv.......can't they get drivers because there should be enough food to go round?

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 12:29
Expect hate mail after that comment :lol:

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 12:33
Stephen wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 12:29
Expect hate mail after that comment :lol:

Normal daily reading. I usually tipex out my name and print Mrs S's. :D

Topic author
Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Well we are now officially barred from Sainsburys on line. At first it was just impossible to get a slot. Then they prioritised over 70s and the vulnerable but missed us, but we could ring their number to get that rectified. But we couldn't get through. Now they're only delivering to those on the government's most vulnerable list
That may not be factually correct.

The way I read their updated messages is that they are saying ;

* They trawled their existing Customers to identify those over 70 ( if ' yes ' they got priority status )

* If they got the status they will keep it regardless of further initiatives

* If they missed any Customers who are over 70 they can still ring the number advised … good luck on that one

Additionally they are using Govt databases to try to identify any of their registered disabled Customers in order to add this group to the priority list … assuming they are not already on it.

So … if either of you are over 70 keep ringing is my advice :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

If you ring now you are just referred to the Gov.uk website to register. That's where the tighter rules kick in.

Topic author
Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 14:20
If you ring now you are just referred to the Gov.uk website to register. That's where the tighter rules kick in.
Does it do that if you ring 0800 328177 ?

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Is that a typo or an alternative number? The one on the website last time I checked was 0800 328 1700. That gives me a very long message referring me to Gov.uk and eventually says we're very busy and hangs up.

But to be honest it's not a huge issue me going out at the moment. Our local branch is well organised and calm and stocks are improving. It's Trish who has the bigger issue so as long as I strip off and put myself through the car wash when I've finished shopping before I go home we should be okay.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 26 Mar 2020, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
They seem to have got a grip in the supermarkets, now. If you do decide to go in person, it's almost a pleasant experience.

My husband is 18 months too young to be allowed into codger's shopping, so we went on Tuesday at 8am. Just after NHS shopping but at 8am on Tuesday, anybody can go in.

We had to queue to go in, but social distancing was being observed, and they allowed 20 people in at a time. It was well marshalled and calm, and the trollies are sanitised before they go out for the next customer. People are taking their own further precautions - for example some were wearing masks. I've ordered disposable gloves, as I was a bit uncomfortable using the touch screen and keypad when I did self check out. I've heard some people are taking a bottle of water and soap with them, so they can wash their hands when they get back to the card.

At the moment, I feel comfortable doing my own shopping and we have the Brexit stock to fall back on if we need to fully isolate.

If you do decide to go in person, it's not a free for all - it's really ok.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

I have a modest stock of latex decorating gloves which I'm using for shopping. I've ordered more on line. They'll be here on 11th May!

Topic author
Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 16:11
Is that a typo or an alternative number? ….
Apologies … it was indeed a typo :oops:

Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

Mrs S will be taking advantage of her NHS status tomorrow morning whe she goes shopping for us and her housebound mum of 91.

I would go with her but I don't think they'll allow my tin bath and portable shower to be set up by the doors.

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 16:11
Is that a typo or an alternative number? The one on the website last time I checked was 0800 328 1700. That gives me a very long message referring me to Gov.uk and eventually says we're very busy and hangs up.

But to be honest it's not a huge issue me going out at the moment. Our local branch is well organised and calm and stocks are improving. It's Trish who has the bigger issue so as long as I strip off and put myself through the car wash when I've finished shopping before I go home we should be okay.
Hi Sir Merv, our daughter suffers with cough verient asthma and is presently just getting over another bout so can understand your concerns, even less severe types of asthma can leave the sufferer feeling quite unwell and getting this virus while having a bout wouldn't be good news at all.

Just wondering if it is just Sainsbury's that have adopted this online policy while other supermarkets may have less restrictive policy?
Regards

keith

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 16:38
Mrs S will be taking advantage of her NHS status tomorrow morning whe she goes shopping for us and her housebound mum of 91.

I would go with her but I don't think they'll allow my tin bath and portable shower to be set up by the doors.

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Onelife wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 16:51
Stephen wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 16:38

:lol: :lol:

I will be applauding your wife along with all the other NHS health workers tonight...hero's all of them. :clap: :clap:

Return to “General Chat”