Chat about anything here

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Current Affairs

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 15:11
Onelife wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 14:49
Stephen wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 11:39 The amount of people, apart from Moby who don't have a smart phone I would think are few and far between.
I don't have a smart phone and seeing the amount of time my wife and daughter spend on them I won't be getting one anytime soon... I much prefer the phone kiosk down the road :thumbup:
It's much more difficult to have nookie behind a mobile phone. A friend told me.....
Shouldn’t be a problem for the likes of Stephen as his is only 1in when fully charged…so I’ve been told :thumbup: :lol:

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 14:56
Onelife wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 14:49
Stephen wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 11:39 The amount of people, apart from Moby who don't have a smart phone I would think are few and far between.
I don't have a smart phone and seeing the amount of time my wife and daughter spend on them I won't be getting one anytime soon... I much prefer the phone kiosk down the road :thumbup:

Checking out the ‘premium’ numbers no doubt.
I’ve never looked into doing that especially at £3.50 a minute :oops:

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 16:06 Is vibrator the word you're looking for? :oops:
:lol:

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 16:06 Is vibrator the word you're looking for? :oops:
Ah, so that's why there's usually a queue outside :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

Nah, it's cos OL's still in there. :o
May your glass always be half full

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 17:44 Nah, it's cos OL's still in there. :o

And he’s put curtains up now.......so I’ve been informed

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Stephen wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 18:03

He made them himself in evening class.

screwy
First Officer
First Officer

Post by screwy »

Talking of making things.
Any watching ‘saved and Remade’ ?
What the hell was that ring that so called master jeweller made.? Looked like a dogs dinner.!
Mel

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 18:54
Stephen wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 18:03

He made them himself in evening class.
There are also a couple of chickens tied up outside the box ... odd that :?
Last edited by Manoverboard on 03 Apr 2021, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

Don't ask..... just don't ask!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

screwy wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 18:58 Talking of making things.
Any watching ‘saved and Remade’ ?
What the hell was that ring that so called master jeweller made.? Looked like a dogs dinner.!
We thought the same. The so called master jeweller appeared to use a sledgehammer to make it. We're not warming to the programme. It seems to be an attempt to recreate The Repair Shop with a twist but it's not working for us.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 03 Apr 2021, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

screwy
First Officer
First Officer

Post by screwy »

Agreed Merv, it doesn’t work for me,the wife’s holding judgment.
Mel

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

‘It’s Clarkson on TV’ should entertaining viewing tonight (ITV @ 9.35).

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

oldbluefox wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 09:52 Don't ask..... just don't ask!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
You can’t beat a bit of stuffing with your chicken Foxy :D

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Evening classes! I’ve just finished an evening class ( my first ever) entitled ‘Tapas of the World’. It was great fun and we ate a good few new and enjoyable meals. It was given to me as a birthday present by my son. I was the only male on the course, apart from the teacher. It was organised be Edinburgh council. So what?
We live about 100 miles from Edinburgh and I wouldn’t have been able to take part under normal circumstances.
Every cloud...

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

When I was younger and we moved down souf as I didn't know anyone I used to join evening classes to learn new interests. To name a few Woodwork, I made our daughter a dolls house with lovely mitred joins and our son a fort with turrets and draw bridge and a small coffee table never got a chance on the lathe the men hogged it :roll: Pottery came next nothing of any use was produced but had some good laughs. Word processing I passed RSA 1,2 &3 and Yoga!! there were a few others I had a passing whim to try on the whole I found them good fun

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

We each had a text to our Smart-less Mobile phones this afternoon with our invite for the 2nd jab, as per the first jab we phoned the Surgery and they booked us both in for 14:00 next Tuesday. So, how long after that can we go to the Pub ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 14:40 how long after that can we go to the Pub ?
It is stated that after 10 days you will have full immunity - but no doubt you could call in the pup on the way home :D

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 15:09
Manoverboard wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 14:40 how long after that can we go to the Pub ?
It is stated that after 10 days you will have full immunity - but no doubt you could call in the pup on the way home :D
Is that the battersea pup

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Stephen wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 15:49
That's the one :lol:

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 15:52
Stephen wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 15:49
david63 wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 15:09 It is stated that after 10 days you will have full immunity - but no doubt you could call in the pup on the way home :D
That's the one :lol:

:thumbup:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 14:40 We each had a text to our Smart-less Mobile phones this afternoon with our invite for the 2nd jab, as per the first jab we phoned the Surgery and they booked us both in for 14:00 next Tuesday. So, how long after that can we go to the Pub ?
May 17th before you can go inside it :)

You have been protected since a couple of weeks after the first jab. This one will boost somewhat and extend your protection.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 16:34
Manoverboard wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 14:40 We each had a text to our Smart-less Mobile phones this afternoon with our invite for the 2nd jab, as per the first jab we phoned the Surgery and they booked us both in for 14:00 next Tuesday. So, how long after that can we go to the Pub ?

You have been protected since a couple of weeks after the first jab. This one will boost somewhat and extend your protection.
The first jab may only offer limited protection - but nobody should assume they are protected. Even after the second jab you may still get COVID. There have been reports of hundreds of fully vaccinated individuals coming down with COVID with, sadly, some not surviving it (however the reasons for this are still being investigated).

Also remember that just because you are vaccinated does not mean that you are not a carrier - the transmission by vaccinated individuals is still unclear.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Kendhni wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 22:14

The first jab may only offer limited protection - but nobody should assume they are protected. Even after the second jab you may still get COVID. There have been reports of hundreds of fully vaccinated individuals coming down with COVID with, sadly, some not surviving it (however the reasons for this are still being investigated).

Also remember that just because you are vaccinated does not mean that you are not a carrier - the transmission by vaccinated individuals is still unclear.
It's being so cheerful that keeps you going then, is it Ken?
Last edited by towny44 on 07 Apr 2021, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 22:33

I agree with Ken. It may not be a cheery subject but it is a reality check. Allot of people, and I’ve heard this myself, think that just because they just had their first jab they are now immune.
Last edited by Stephen on 08 Apr 2021, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

Stephen wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 07:12

I agree with Ken. It may not be a cheery subject but it is a reality check. Allot of people, and I’ve heard this myself, think that just because they just had their first jab they are now immune.
Exactly. One could argue that we are at a very defining moment in our fight against coronavirus that means people must not let their guard down. In particular the vaccine you may have had may not be effective against some of the new variants (e.g. AZ may only be about 10% effective against the SA variant). The important message is that vaccines do not prevent you from getting coronavirus, they significantly reduce the risk of it, including the risk of it developing into life threatening COVID. Secondly, it is currently unclear as to whether or not a vaccinated person can carry and infect others ... you would hate for your legacy to be that you inflicted this on your children and grand children (for the sake of a hug).

On the plus side the next wave of vaccines may not only attack the s-protein (as per current vaccines) but also attack the n-protein. These may offer a therapeutic effect as well. Some companies are also looking at the possibility of providing the vaccine orally.

Onelife
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 07:12

I agree with Stephen :thumbup:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 22:14 The first jab may only offer limited protection - but nobody should assume they are protected. Even after the second jab you may still get COVID. There have been reports of hundreds of fully vaccinated individuals coming down with COVID with, sadly, some not surviving it (however the reasons for this are still being investigated).

All true - but putting it in context it is estimated that over 6,000 lives have been saved because of the vaccine roll out.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

We’ll find out in three or four weeks time how effective the vaccine actually is.
After Monday’s reopening.
I must say Mrs B is chomping at the bit.
She has an awful lot of stock to shift.

They are expecting a spike in infection rates, it’s whether that translates to hospitalisation and death.
They are the crucial figures.

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Good plan :thumbup:, they'll have been open a full day by the time we get there ... but it may be a tad too nippy ( see what I did there ) according to the forecasts.

ps ... I agree with Towny :lol:

screwy
First Officer
First Officer

Post by screwy »

Watching the scenes of violence and disorder in Belfast takes me back 50 yrs.
Mel

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

screwy wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 09:26 Watching the scenes of violence and disorder in Belfast takes me back 50 yrs.
A consequence of the U.K. and the EU breaking the GFA and imposing conditions without consultation.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

barney wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 10:37
screwy wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 09:26 Watching the scenes of violence and disorder in Belfast takes me back 50 yrs.
A consequence of the U.K. and the EU breaking the GFA and imposing conditions without consultation.
The BBC report that they are demonstrating against Sinn Fein politicians attending an IRA funeral against Covid regulations.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

towny44 wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 12:56
barney wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 10:37
The BBC report that they are demonstrating against Sinn Fein politicians attending an IRA funeral against Covid regulations.
They would !

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

Takes us all back 50 years. Absolutely ridiculous with a bunch of big brave men pushing their own children into the front line and egging them on - I saw a video with a child of about 2 years old cycling in the middle of it. Most of them probably have no real idea what they rioting about - or if you ask you will get at least half a dozen different reasons with most of them being made up (as was obvious on the Nolan radio show). This has been simmering under the surface for over a year now and got pushed over the edge for a couple of reasons including a perceived 2-tier policing/legal system.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

david63 wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 09:01
Kendhni wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 22:14 The first jab may only offer limited protection - but nobody should assume they are protected. Even after the second jab you may still get COVID. There have been reports of hundreds of fully vaccinated individuals coming down with COVID with, sadly, some not surviving it (however the reasons for this are still being investigated).

All true - but putting it in context it is estimated that over 6,000 lives have been saved because of the vaccine roll out.
I have no idea of the number but guess you got 6,000 from somewhere - my only surprise is that it is so low.

Mervyn and Trish
Captain
Captain

Some good news. Just received letters from our GP to tell us we'll have our second jab soon. There was about a week between the first jab letters and the text inviting us to book our appointment.

screwy
First Officer
First Officer

Post by screwy »

About 4 weeks for my second dose,unless they call me earlier.
Mel

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

Kendhni wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 13:17
Takes us all back 50 years. Absolutely ridiculous with a bunch of big brave men pushing their own children into the front line and egging them on - I saw a video with a child of about 2 years old cycling in the middle of it. Most of them probably have no real idea what they rioting about - or if you ask you will get at least half a dozen different reasons with most of them being made up (as was obvious on the Nolan radio show). This has been simmering under the surface for over a year now and got pushed over the edge for a couple of reasons including a perceived 2-tier policing/legal system.
Not sure why the bus driver was driving slowly past rioters with his doors open. To my mind he was asking for trouble but just hope he got out safely.

Apparently there were adults out on the streets egging the children on and apparently one had a mishap with his petrol bomb and got burnt. Part of me has no sympathy. They weren't thinking about those they were throwing the bombs at.

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

screwy wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 14:00 About 4 weeks for my second dose,unless they call me earlier.
Had a text yesterday to get mine on Saturday :thumbup:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

It is now over two weeks since I had my second jab and really nothing has changed for me - I did go to the hairdressers but that's it - I still grocery shop at off peak times and am not tempted to hit the shops opening next week. Are other people as cautious as me and will we ever feel safe?
Janis

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

Some and some Jan.
Half can’t wait and the other half will stay home.
We’re popping out for a drink on Monday evening down our local brewery which is walkable.
He’s spent a lot of time and money on getting his outside area set up so the least we can do is support him.
Btw, good beer too 👍

Manoverboard
Captain
Captain

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 13:36 Some good news. Just received letters from our GP to tell us we'll have our second jab soon. There was about a week between the first jab letters and the text inviting us to book our appointment.
Ours are next Tuesday ... just saying ( again )

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

My 2nd jab is booked for May 16th at the time of the first at Westward Ho !
Mrs B had her first before me but by the surgery, so will have to wait to hear.

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni »

oldbluefox wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 14:05
Kendhni wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 13:17
Not sure why the bus driver was driving slowly past rioters with his doors open. To my mind he was asking for trouble but just hope he got out safely.
If it was the expected driver of the bus I would guess he was not given a choice.

Back in the 70's I remember our neighbour's company delivered oil. His company was the last one that would go into a particular area, but after one of his drivers was put in hospital, and he lost 2 tankers in as many weeks, he refused to do any more deliveries to that area. One night a well known local contacted him and told him to send a tanker in and he would guarantee its safety. He wasn't going to risk one of his drivers so he said he would drive it himself (much against his wife's wishes). He came to the bottom of the street where he was met by 2 heavily armed masked men. One jumped into the cab and the other onto the back of the tanker - the neighbour said he was desperately trying to get the door open and do a runner when his passenger told him that they were there to keep him safe. He did his deliveries and as he left the area his escort hopped off and disappeared down an alley way. That happened a few times but it was 'let known' that nobody touched tankers from his company.
Apparently there were adults out on the streets egging the children on and apparently one had a mishap with his petrol bomb and got burnt. Part of me has no sympathy. They weren't thinking about those they were throwing the bombs at.
We call that karma.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

When I worked there, we interviewed a dustcart driver who was hijacked by the Provos and told, at gun point to drive up to a checkpoint after loading with explosives.
He refused and when they threatened to shoot him, he said that either way he died so stood his ground.
Fortunately they let him go.
Brave or slightly mental?
We couldn’t make our minds up.

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by barney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 13:36 Some good news. Just received letters from our GP to tell us we'll have our second jab soon. There was about a week between the first jab letters and the text inviting us to book our appointment.
I was chatting with friends who live near Bergerac last night and they still haven't had their first jabs Merv, even they they are similar age to us.

I don't know how other nations are doing but our friends in Malta have had theirs and it seems as on track as ours. Having said that, it is a small population, they think about 450k but are not sure.
I was reading this morning in the Times of Malta that their foreign prisoner population exceeds their Maltese prisoner population.
Freedom of movement eh !
Got to love it.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

My son lives in Luxembourg with a population of roughly 650,000 and his 77 year old in-laws have just received their 1st Moderna vaccines. Shockingly slow - he is 52 and here in Wales would have had his 1st jab but reckons it will be September - if he is lucky - to get his jab !!!
Janis

Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ray B »

Had my second jab yesterday, another step towards some sort of normality.
Don't worry, be happy

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox »

This looks promising news from the IMF (April 2021) which is projecting positive news of our economic growth out of the pandemic in 2022.

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO ... april-2021

As I read it it's better than the EU and the US. I just hope they are right.
Last edited by oldbluefox on 10 Apr 2021, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Chat”