Brexit

Chat about anything here
User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 16:42

barney wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 16:39
Shows that you can't trust those pesky foreigners, doesn't it ? ;)
Shows you can't trust the local Conservative Brexiter MP
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 16:43

barney wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 16:39
And we thought that they were our friends :crazy:
Not now, we shat on them.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9431
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 18 Feb 2019, 16:44

Curious spin Jack

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9431
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 18 Feb 2019, 16:46

Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 16:43
barney wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 16:39
And we thought that they were our friends :crazy:
Not now, we shat on them.
I think you'll find we contributed considerably to their economy. But if someone wants to sh*t on me by giving me millions of pounds feel free.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 18 Feb 2019, 16:54

What a funny old world it has turned into.

We have a British guy (Jack) thinking that it's ok for a foreign country to disrupt a smaller country by using intimidation, for no other reason than he cannot accept the vote of the referendum.

Is there really no depths to which some Remainers will not stoop?
How about they open fire on Gibraltar?
Will that be acceptable because we voted to leave the EU?
What would they have to do to be condemned ?

The quicker that we are outside of this circus, the better.

https://www.politico.eu/blogs/eu-decide ... rojection/

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 17:01

barney wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 16:54
What a funny old world it has turned into.
That Brexiters think the world owes a living.

I have news, it's the twenty first century.
We just tried 'gun boat diplomacy' and it's lost us a trade deal with China.
We just tried telling the Japanese to hurry up with a trade and they said no.
Wake up. Brexit is a disaster. But of course it will be the Remainers fault, or the EU, or the Spanish, anyone except those who are actually responsible for this debacle.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 18 Feb 2019, 17:59

You just keep on thinking you have right on your side Jack, when most of your posts only point to the monetary benefits that you as a fortunate citizen of the UK can enjoy from the EU.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 18:53

towny44 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 17:59
You just keep on thinking you have right on your side Jack, when most of your posts only point to the monetary benefits that you as a fortunate citizen of the UK can enjoy from the EU.
So what can I expect from being a fortunate citizen of the UK?
Oh yes, I should know because you have explained sooooooooo many times.
But everything leavers promised has turned to dust.

I don't really like the personal bias of your post, smacks of playing the man not the ball, how very Brexiter of you. I notice you do that a lot when Brexit is exposed for what it is.
But I can do it too. John, you are suffering from British exceptionalism. You think the world will just do what we (you) want.
Your failed education of the British as the master race is totally out of date.
Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia.
As you (have previously) claimed you don't care about the economics - "I'm all right Jack", I can only assume the worst of you. Something I have tried to avoid.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6932
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 18 Feb 2019, 20:35

Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 18:53
Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia.
What a load of codswallop! :roll:

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 20:36

oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 20:35
Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 18:53
Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia.
What a load of codswallop! :roll:
Do tell what is was about then.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6932
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 18 Feb 2019, 21:02

Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 20:36
oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 20:35
Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 18:53
Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia.
What a load of codswallop! :roll:
Do tell what is was about then.
You can read it up for yourself...............
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/upload ... -Leave.pdf
http://www.westernspring.co.uk/reasons-vote-leave/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of ... _of_Brexit

There's a shed load of other sites where you can educate yourself into the minds of the Leavers.
"Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia". Give me strength Jack!! :roll:

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 21:13

oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:02
There's a shed load of other sites where you can educate yourself into the minds of the Leavers.
"Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia". Give me strength Jack!! :roll:
I provide links to illustrate/prove the point I am making, not to hide behind.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6932
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 18 Feb 2019, 21:18

Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:13
oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:02
There's a shed load of other sites where you can educate yourself into the minds of the Leavers.
"Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia". Give me strength Jack!! :roll:
I provide links to illustrate/prove the point I am making, not to hide behind.
Good for you! :yawn:
"Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia"..................Link?

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 21:20

oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:18
Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:13
oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:02
There's a shed load of other sites where you can educate yourself into the minds of the Leavers.
"Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia". Give me strength Jack!! :roll:
I provide links to illustrate/prove the point I am making, not to hide behind.
Good for you! :yawn:
"Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia"..................Link?
Have a look here
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/upload ... -Leave.pdf
Last edited by Jack Staff on 18 Feb 2019, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6932
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 18 Feb 2019, 21:34

That does not support your statement. Clearly you have not read your own link or any of those I found for you so no doubt you will continue making sweeping statements which are totally untrue. Reasons have been explained to you on several occasions by members of this forum but you ask the same questions over and over again.
Economics and xenophobia? Try telling that to the fishing communities, but then I'm alright Jack.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 21:37

oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:34
That does not support your statement. Clearly you have not read your own link or any of those I found for you so no doubt you will continue making sweeping statements which are totally untrue. Reasons have been explained to you on several occasions by members of this forum but you ask the same questions over and over again.
Economics and xenophobia? Try telling that to the fishing communities, but then I'm alright Jack.
I have explained to you on several occasions why fishing is a Brexiter ploy but you keep brining it up over and over again.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6932
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 18 Feb 2019, 21:42

Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:37
oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:34
That does not support your statement. Clearly you have not read your own link or any of those I found for you so no doubt you will continue making sweeping statements which are totally untrue. Reasons have been explained to you on several occasions by members of this forum but you ask the same questions over and over again.
Economics and xenophobia? Try telling that to the fishing communities, but then I'm alright Jack.
I have explained to you on several occasions why fishing is a Brexiter ploy but you keep brining it up over and over again.
:lol:

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 21:44

oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:42
:lol:
A typo? That's all you've got?
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6932
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Brexit

Post by oldbluefox » 18 Feb 2019, 21:46

Clearly the humour is lost on you..................... fish? brine?
Forget it!!! :roll:

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 18 Feb 2019, 21:49

oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:46
Clearly the humour is lost on you..................... fish? brine?
Forget it!!! :roll:
Yes, I did miss that one. Sorry.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 18 Feb 2019, 22:41

Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:49
oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:46
Clearly the humour is lost on you..................... fish? brine?
Forget it!!! :roll:
Yes, I did miss that one. Sorry.
Slipping up there Jack.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 19 Feb 2019, 08:41

:sarcasm: It’s easier to have a sense of humour when you are surrounded by your like minded pals.
Gill

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 19 Feb 2019, 09:14

Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:20
oldbluefox wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:18
Jack Staff wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 21:13

I provide links to illustrate/prove the point I am making, not to hide behind.
Good for you! :yawn:
"Brexit was only ever about economics and xenophobia"..................Link?
Have a look here
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/upload ... -Leave.pdf
Jack, I have read the link and it clearly shows that economics was at the top of the remain list, but nowhere in the leavers list, and I am deeply disappointed that you seem to consider that, ---
"" The most frequently selected reason among Leave voters––ticked by 45%––was, ‘to strike a better balance between Britain's right to act independently, and the appropriate level of co-operation with other countries’. The second most frequently selected reason among Leave voters––ticked by 26%––was, ‘to help us deal better with the issue of immigration’""
are signs that leave voters were xenophobic, you do appear to have a particularly warped view of life, or maybe its just a warped view of leavers.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 19 Feb 2019, 09:42

Gill W wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 08:41
:sarcasm: It’s easier to have a sense of humour when you are surrounded by your like minded pals.
or …. it's easier to share a sense of humour with your like minded pals if you actually have a sense of humour :lol:

User avatar

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: January 2013
Location: Kent

Re: Brexit

Post by Gill W » 19 Feb 2019, 11:21

Manoverboard wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 09:42
Gill W wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 08:41
:sarcasm: It’s easier to have a sense of humour when you are surrounded by your like minded pals.
or …. it's easier to share a sense of humour with your like minded pals if you actually have a sense of humour :lol:
However, it's weird how those who claim to have a sense of humour forget their sense of humour when the joke is at their expense :lol:
Gill


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1604
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: Brexit

Post by Ray Scully » 19 Feb 2019, 11:25

Sadly and despite my Scouse sense of humour I find little to laugh about on this thread :-(

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 19 Feb 2019, 11:43

towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 09:14
Jack, I have read the link and it clearly shows that economics was at the top of the remain list, but nowhere in the leavers list, and I am deeply disappointed that you seem to consider that, ---
"" The most frequently selected reason among Leave voters––ticked by 45%––was, ‘to strike a better balance between Britain's right to act independently, and the appropriate level of co-operation with other countries’. The second most frequently selected reason among Leave voters––ticked by 26%––was, ‘to help us deal better with the issue of immigration’""
are signs that leave voters were xenophobic, you do appear to have a particularly warped view of life, or maybe its just a warped view of leavers.
John, you say that leavers aren't xenophobic by saying they don't want to be controlled by foreigners and do want to control immigration.
I suggest you need to rethink your position.

We have previously discussed how we are not currently controlled by foreigners and it has been widely reported how immigration is going to rise post Brexit. Well done.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 19 Feb 2019, 12:58

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:43
towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 09:14
Jack, I have read the link and it clearly shows that economics was at the top of the remain list, but nowhere in the leavers list, and I am deeply disappointed that you seem to consider that, ---
"" The most frequently selected reason among Leave voters––ticked by 45%––was, ‘to strike a better balance between Britain's right to act independently, and the appropriate level of co-operation with other countries’. The second most frequently selected reason among Leave voters––ticked by 26%––was, ‘to help us deal better with the issue of immigration’""
are signs that leave voters were xenophobic, you do appear to have a particularly warped view of life, or maybe its just a warped view of leavers.
John, you say that leavers aren't xenophobic by saying they don't want to be controlled by foreigners and do want to control immigration.
I suggest you need to rethink your position.

We have previously discussed how we are not currently controlled by foreigners and it has been widely reported how immigration is going to rise post Brexit. Well done.


Jack, the dictionary definition of xenophobia is extreme and unreasonable fear or dislike of foreigners and their cultures, now, even for you, to call the highlighted text xenophobic is really several steps too far.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 19 Feb 2019, 14:15

towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:58
Jack, the dictionary definition of xenophobia is extreme and unreasonable fear or dislike of foreigners and their cultures, now, even for you, to call the highlighted text xenophobic is really several steps too far.
John, there is another word for your view. I have purposely avoided using it. I considered xenophobia was less offensive.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 19 Feb 2019, 14:39

Ray Scully wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:25
Sadly and despite my Scouse sense of humour I find little to laugh about on this thread :-(
That's cos you're a miserable old sod purporting to be a Scouser :lol: :wave:

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 19 Feb 2019, 14:41

Gill W wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:21
Manoverboard wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 09:42
Gill W wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 08:41
:sarcasm: It’s easier to have a sense of humour when you are surrounded by your like minded pals.
or …. it's easier to share a sense of humour with your like minded pals if you actually have a sense of humour :lol:
However, it's weird how those who claim to have a sense of humour forget their sense of humour when the joke is at their expense :lol:
I have just tested you theory out on Ray, let's see how it goes ;)

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 19 Feb 2019, 14:59

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:15
towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:58
Jack, the dictionary definition of xenophobia is extreme and unreasonable fear or dislike of foreigners and their cultures, now, even for you, to call the highlighted text xenophobic is really several steps too far.
John, there is another word for your view. I have purposely avoided using it. I considered xenophobia was less offensive.
Jack, not certain which of your vitriolic views of leavers you are thinking about, but it saddens me that you seem to have such pent up hatred for us.
Separately why do remainers keep repeating that we couldn't have voted to make us poorer; with all the dire warnings of the economic catastrophe from the remain campaign, we would have needed to be brain dead not to have taken this into account when we voted leave.
Why is it that after nearly 3 years of discussion, on here and elsewhere, you still don't understand how we leavers tick, could it be that its maybe not the leavers who are poorly educated and ill informed?
Last edited by towny44 on 19 Feb 2019, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 19 Feb 2019, 15:21

towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:59
Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:15
towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:58
Jack, the dictionary definition of xenophobia is extreme and unreasonable fear or dislike of foreigners and their cultures, now, even for you, to call the highlighted text xenophobic is really several steps too far.
John, there is another word for your view. I have purposely avoided using it. I considered xenophobia was less offensive.
Jack, not certain which of your vitriolic views of leavers you are thinking about, but it saddens me that you seem to have such pent up hatred for us.
Just sadness at what you have done to my country.
towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:59
Separately why do remainers keep repeating that we couldn't have voted to make us poorer; with all the dire warnings of the economic catastrophe from the remain campaign, we would have needed to be brain dead not to have taken this into account when we voted leave.
Yet you still voted to make everyone poorer, restrict opportunities, the possibility of the lack of food and medicine....
towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:59
Why is it that after nearly 3 years of discussion, on here and elsewhere, you still don't understand how we leavers tick, could it be that its maybe not the leavers who are poorly educated and ill informed?
I think we just proved in previous posts what makes you tick at least.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.


screwy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 812
Joined: March 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by screwy » 19 Feb 2019, 15:22

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:15
towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:58
Jack, the dictionary definition of xenophobia is extreme and unreasonable fear or dislike of foreigners and their cultures, now, even for you, to call the highlighted text xenophobic is really several steps too far.
John, there is another word for your view. I have purposely avoided using it. I considered xenophobia was less offensive.
Just say the word Jack,then we all know how you really feel.!
Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt


Ray Scully
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1604
Joined: January 2013
Location: Lancashire

Re: Brexit

Post by Ray Scully » 19 Feb 2019, 16:03

Manoverboard wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:39
Ray Scully wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:25
Sadly and despite my Scouse sense of humour I find little to laugh about on this thread :-(
That's cos you're a miserable old sod purporting to be a Scouser :lol: :wave:
Well, Moby we all have our crosses to bear :-(
thankfully I'm not a xenophobe :sarcasm:
Last edited by Ray Scully on 19 Feb 2019, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4683
Joined: January 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Onelife » 19 Feb 2019, 16:14

screwy wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 15:22
Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:15
towny44 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:58
Jack, the dictionary definition of xenophobia is extreme and unreasonable fear or dislike of foreigners and their cultures, now, even for you, to call the highlighted text xenophobic is really several steps too far.
John, there is another word for your view. I have purposely avoided using it. I considered xenophobia was less offensive.
Just say the word Jack,then we all know how you really feel.!
Yeah Jack......just do it!.....l ain't seen anyone red penned for ages :thumbup: :D



.
Last edited by Manoverboard on 19 Feb 2019, 16:25, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7217
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Brexit

Post by Manoverboard » 19 Feb 2019, 16:23

Ray Scully wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 16:03
Manoverboard wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:39
Ray Scully wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 11:25
Sadly and despite my Scouse sense of humour I find little to laugh about on this thread :-(
That's cos you're a miserable old sod purporting to be a Scouser :lol: :wave:
Well, Moby we all have our crosses to bear :-(
thankfully I'm not a xenophobe :sarcasm:
Me neither although I did try to play one once …..

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4683
Joined: January 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Onelife » 19 Feb 2019, 16:29

Manoverboard wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 16:23
Ray Scully wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 16:03
Manoverboard wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 14:39

That's cos you're a miserable old sod purporting to be a Scouser :lol: :wave:
Well, Moby we all have our crosses to bear :-(
thankfully I'm not a xenophobe :sarcasm:
Me neither although I did try to play one once …..
Oh...so that's how you spell it :D

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 19 Feb 2019, 18:29

Taken from today's Euronews

As 100’000’s of German jobs hang by a thread;
FORMER European Commission president José Manuel Barroso sent a stern message to his successor Jean-Claude Juncker – urging the European Union to “compromise” on the Irish backstop or risk a no deal Brexit.
Jean-Claude Juncker, the highest ranking European Union official, has repeatedly refused reopen the withdrawal agreement or make changes to the controversial Brexit backstop proposal. But Jose Manuel Barroso told Euronews it is time for the EU to make some Brexit concessions and use “legal creativity” to come to an agreement on the Irish border issue…

Taken form the Guardian

2019
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... o-varadkar
2018
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... t-varadkar

Spot the difference ?

Varadkar has well and truely painted himself into a corner.
I hope his 'mates' help him out because he will need billions and a strong stomach, unless of course he is willing to be reasonable.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 19 Feb 2019, 18:57

barney wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:29
Taken from today's Euronews

As 100’000’s of German jobs hang by a thread;
We have already lost 208,387 jobs to Brexit
5 Feb - and of course this figure has nothing to do with Brexit but with the lack of demand for diesel engines and anyway it must be from a remainer site so totally biased.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 19 Feb 2019, 19:01

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:57
barney wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 18:29
Taken from today's Euronews

As 100’000’s of German jobs hang by a thread;
We have already lost 208,387 jobs to Brexit
5 Feb - and of course this figure has nothing to do with Brexit but with the lack of demand for diesel engines and anyway it must be from a remainer site so totally biased.
Please be kind enough to explain the paradox of today's employment figures in the UK

From 5 hours ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47290331
Last edited by barney on 19 Feb 2019, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 19 Feb 2019, 19:05

barney wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 19:01
Please be kind enough to explain the paradox of today's employment figures in the UK
No paradox. You only have to work something like one hour in two weeks to classed as employed nowadays.
Gig economy. Not what we would call employment.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 19 Feb 2019, 20:04

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 19:05
barney wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 19:01
Please be kind enough to explain the paradox of today's employment figures in the UK
No paradox. You only have to work something like one hour in two weeks to classed as employed nowadays.
Gig economy. Not what we would call employment.
Oh! right.
So how do we explain that the average wage is now over £450 a week.

Can you not admit that all is not doom and gloom and the country that you profess to love so much is actually doing ok overall.

I fully appreciate that you simply cannot accept the fact the we are leaving the EU, but to distort every single situation leaves you very open to ridicule.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 19 Feb 2019, 20:13

barney wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:04
Oh! right.
So how do we explain that the average wage is now over £450 a week.

Can you not admit that all is not doom and gloom and the country that you profess to love so much is actually doing ok overall.

I fully appreciate that you simply cannot accept the fact the we are leaving the EU, but to distort every single situation leaves you very open to ridicule.
Because the difference in wages is now astronomical.
It only takes a few 'fat cats' to bring up that average.
Those fat cats on stupid money pay peanuts because their pals in government then top up the low paid with our taxes. Thus making themselves fatter.
Also makes us poorer too.
Thought you were a little bit of a lefty and would be well aware of that.
It's all in JRM's fathers book.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4335
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Brexit

Post by towny44 » 19 Feb 2019, 20:15

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 19:05
barney wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 19:01
Please be kind enough to explain the paradox of today's employment figures in the UK
No paradox. You only have to work something like one hour in two weeks to classed as employed nowadays.
Gig economy. Not what we would call employment.
So are our stats collected differently to the other countries of the EU?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 19 Feb 2019, 20:32

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:13
barney wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:04
Oh! right.
So how do we explain that the average wage is now over £450 a week.

Can you not admit that all is not doom and gloom and the country that you profess to love so much is actually doing ok overall.

I fully appreciate that you simply cannot accept the fact the we are leaving the EU, but to distort every single situation leaves you very open to ridicule.
Because the difference in wages is now astronomical.
It only takes a few 'fat cats' to bring up that average.
Those fat cats on stupid money pay peanuts because their pals in government then top up the low paid with our taxes. Thus making themselves fatter.
Also makes us poorer too.
Thought you were a little bit of a lefty and would be well aware of that.
It's all in JRM's fathers book.
I may be a bit of a lefty Jack, but I can also add up and take away. ;)

You allude to the fact that the country is up s*it creek without a paddle when the stats show something quite different.

If you argued that things were pretty good economically because we were still in the EU, your arguement may have a bit of traction, but to deny the facts makes you look a bit of a ....... :sarcasm:

User avatar

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9431
Joined: February 2013

Re: Brexit

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 19 Feb 2019, 20:43

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:13

..... fat cats on stupid money pay peanuts because their pals in government then top up the low paid with our taxes. Thus making themselves fatter..
And the fat cats have been able to get away with paying peanuts topped up with benefits because Eastern Europeans are willing to come here because they're even worse off at home.

Post Brexit the fat cats currently whinging about how they'll struggle to get cheap labour may have to invest a bit more in trainIng the British workforce and offering them longer hours and a living wage.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 19 Feb 2019, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Jack Staff
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1486
Joined: September 2016

Re: Brexit

Post by Jack Staff » 19 Feb 2019, 20:52

barney wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:32
I may be a bit of a lefty Jack, but I can also add up and take away. ;)

You allude to the fact that the country is up s*it creek without a paddle when the stats show something quite different.

If you argued that things were pretty good economically because we were still in the EU, your arguement may have a bit of traction, but to deny the facts makes you look a bit of a ....... :sarcasm:
The fact that we started before Brexit in a good place goes without saying.
But who produces those stats? How many times has the 'formula' been changed?
I wasn't aware I had denied any 'facts', but we all know the difference between rich and poor has increased.
Testiculi ad Brexitum. Venceremos.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 19 Feb 2019, 21:08

Jack Staff wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:52
barney wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 20:32
I may be a bit of a lefty Jack, but I can also add up and take away. ;)

You allude to the fact that the country is up s*it creek without a paddle when the stats show something quite different.

If you argued that things were pretty good economically because we were still in the EU, your arguement may have a bit of traction, but to deny the facts makes you look a bit of a ....... :sarcasm:
The fact that we started before Brexit in a good place goes without saying.
But who produces those stats? How many times has the 'formula' been changed?
I wasn't aware I had denied any 'facts', but we all know the difference between rich and poor has increased.

You can't just keep denying things because they don't fit.
Who produces the stats? I don't blimmin' know!
Has the formula been changed? I don't blimmin' know.

What I do know is that a few months ago, you were heralding the deal between the EU and Japan as something great.

The EU – Japan trade deal means that Japan need not have ANY factories in the EU.
As a consequence, all Japanese investment in every country of the EU can be brought to an end and provide jobs for the Japanese.

We all know that Japan is one of the most 'closed' countries in the world.
Any Japanese politician will always put the Japanese before any foreigner.

Be careful what you wish for.

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2611
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Brexit

Post by barney » 19 Feb 2019, 21:25

Meanwhile, yet another blow for project fear.

Didn't you say that thousands of jobs in finance would go Europe.

from the Independent.
London’s three main clearing houses, LCH, ICE Clear Europe and LME Clear, have been recognised by the European Securities and Markets Authority (Esma), just 39 days before the UK is set to leave the EU – with or without a deal.
The three companies process deals in commodities, securities and derivatives and underpin London’s dominance in the European clearing business.
Paris, Frankfurt and other European financial hubs hoped to prise much of that lucrative business away from London after Brexit.
But Esma said recognising London’s clearing houses would “limit the risk of disruption in central clearing and to avoid any negative impact on the financial stability of the EU”.

A bit of common sense from the financial sector.

Have you ever wondered why the City of London have been very quiet during the entire Brexit process.

I know why !

Return to “General Chat”