Post by qbman1 »

Only the best for my girl !

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Ship names

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Jan Rosser wrote:
Wake up Cubie - I've been on her twice - don't you remember our non-meeting at Christmas - I've never been stood up before :lolno:
Have you fallen over before? :sarcasm:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Every time she goes to lunch with her cronies. The good citizens of Cardiff are very familiar with their undergarments !

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Iberia, Chusan, Himalaya, after all they have repeated Arcadia and they were contemporaries of the earlier Arcadia.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Himalaya sounds apt - you will need ropes and pitons to get all the way to the top !!

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Chusan certainly had a good reputation as a friendly ship.

Mundiz
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mundiz »

Flotsam or Jetsam
Always remember you're unique, like everyone else.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

May Boyce once told a story about pigs - they come in three sizes, Big, Huge and Duw!

Seems cruise ships are going the same way, sadly.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

They will get bigger until a maritime nation has the guts to refuse to certify one, but squeaky wheelbarrows will probably prevent that from happening. Personally I think they are all living in cloud cuckoo land where vessel evacuation timings and safety are concerned.

We were in Messina once and a Costa ship sailed through the strait called 'Costa Fortuna', we thought it very apt.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Frank Manning wrote:
They will get bigger until a maritime nation has the guts to refuse to certify one, but squeaky wheelbarrows will probably prevent that from happening. Personally I think they are all living in cloud cuckoo land where vessel evacuation timings and safety are concerned.

We were in Messina once and a Costa ship sailed through the strait called 'Costa Fortuna', we thought it very apt.
Agree, Frank. If one of them has a problem at sea (as opposed to running into a little Italian island) they wouldn't have a hope of saving that many

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

qbman1 wrote:
Frank Manning wrote:

Agree, Frank. If one of them has a problem at sea (as opposed to running into a little Italian island) they wouldn't have a hope of saving that many
If you want to stay safe Cubie I recommend you stick to rubber dinghies on a children's paddling pool, but be careful you don't knock yourself out if you fall in.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

I almost went on Canberra as a ten pound pom as a young man, Australia were crying out for young men with an engineering background so along with a few mates we went along to a 'Emigrate to Oz' campaign in Nottingham and we all signed up for the scheme. After a lot of interviewing,form filling in and a medical we were set to go, but my mum cried for days after I told her I was going and with my father being an alcoholic I didn't have the heart to leave her and my younger siblings.

Of the seven young men that signed up only five actually went, two came back after a couple of years one died several years ago in Frankston, Victoria and two remain.

They all said that the 6 week journey on Canberra was a good experience but the two who came back were put on different ships and both said it was a nightmare journey, perhaps to teach them a lesson who knows.

After our marriage Cheryl and I thought about the move to Oz but our two kids arrived and we couldn't afford the fare but by that time Canberra was not used for the Pom run as it was called.

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”