P&O Computer problems...again.!

Any general cruise line chat

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: P&O Computer problems...again.!

Post by david63 »

JillD66 wrote: 20 May 2017, 17:57
They said (as far as I remember)they pass my card details to Cunard who then process the payment.
I would question that as it may not be legal

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I know that I pay my travel agent. They have an account that p and takes the payment from.
The Bolsover thing doesn't sound right to me.

Lindsey

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

GillD46 wrote: 19 May 2017, 16:39
We have just paid three times that, so I shall be well and overdrawn if they take it again and NOT HAPPY!
After rescuing my current account, I now find they have also successfully applied a charge against my CC :(
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

June1969 wrote: 20 May 2017, 16:31
After reading about this problem yesterday I checked our banking cruise account and there was no sign of any additional payments being taken. Today I've had the email from P&O telling me about this but still there is no sign of any unexpected transactions. Hopefully we are unaffected.

I wonder if those being affected are agreeing to the automatic balance payment being taken when due from the same card as they used for the deposit.

Nothing from my bank as yet and they would normally text me for larger spends. Hope everyone affected gets their money back speedily.

June
Not in my case either.
Gill

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

It seems that the charges have been put through as a reservation so they won't show in your balance. You should look at your available balance and see if there is a difference to your balance. This will show the amount that has been ring fenced which you cannot use for anything else. This may stop direct debits going out of your account.
Brian

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

BrianI wrote: 20 May 2017, 20:00
It seems that the charges have been put through as a reservation so they won't show in your balance. You should look at your available balance and see if there is a difference to your balance. This will show the amount that has been ring fenced which you cannot use for anything else. This may stop direct debits going out of your account.
Brian
And that is exactly why it needs to be cancelled straight away - not in five, or so, days time and it's no use saying that it cannot - it can, mine was.

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

Funny they are saying that it may take 7 or so days when you can get money into or out of an account within minutes.

They took it so now they should reimburse it straight away.

Mine was noticed on Friday morning ans still nothing has happened.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote: 20 May 2017, 13:40
Have just received a "bland" email from P&O trying absolve themselves of any responsibility over this.

If you have problems then contact your bank "in the first instance" and then tell your bank to contact Elavon Merchant Services.

No suggestion that if you are out of pocket in any way that P&O will recompense you!
Yes, I received that one too....

"I want to inform you that we have been notified by our third party payment processor that they incorrectly processed a pre-authorisation transaction yesterday against your card. This has been reversed overnight. As a consequence, no monies have been taken from your account. We apologise if this has caused you any concern or any inconvenience.

We are able to confirm that this was not a result of a security breach and that no personal information has been compromised.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, we recommend in the first instance you contact your bank who has been made aware of this situation. If they are not able to resolve the matter, we recommend that your bank contacts Elavon Merchant Services on this number 0345 600 0292. This information is also shown on our website at brand specific website www.pocruises.com"

In other words - everyone's fault but P&O !!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

This could probably not have happened at a worse time that a Friday (unless the following Monday was a Bank Holiday) but P&O's damage limitation has been woefully abysmal.

My guess is that the "legal eagles" have been laying the law down (pun intended) as to what to say - even up to the point of "bending the truth".

How they can say that taking unauthorised money out of someone's bank account is not fraud, when the bank says it is, is beyond me.

P&O also seem to be doing a good PR job of keeping this out of the media.

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by BrianI »

Now in the Daily Mail.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... twice.html
Although they can't get the photo correct, showing a ferry not a cruise ship.
Brian

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

BrianI wrote: 22 May 2017, 10:31
Now in the Daily Mail.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... twice.html
Although they can't get the photo correct, showing a ferry not a cruise ship.
Brian
:lol:

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Not just P&O having computer problems then; and even P&Os doesn't match the monumental cock-up achieved by British Airways this weekend.
I guess Alex Cruz who outsourced BA's IT to India has never heard the adage "the company that loses control of it's IT loses control of the company".

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

He was interviewed on the news last night - "categorically not the fault of the IT being outsourced" and he is "definitely not resigning as a result" !! Squadron of pigs overhead !

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

qbman1 wrote: 30 May 2017, 09:29
He was interviewed on the news last night - "categorically not the fault of the IT being outsourced" and he is "definitely not resigning as a result" !! Squadron of pigs overhead !
In suitable BA livery no doubt !

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whilst the BA issue may not be directly due to outsourcing it is due to cost cutting.

The alleged problem was a "power surge" which means that they did not have sufficient power surge protection which is expensive - even home power surge protection is not cheap but we all have it for our PCs don't we?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Actually ( allegedly ) ... it wasn't a power surge at all.

Other networks within the Heathrow Airport complex plus the energy supplier themselves reported that there were not any power surges.

In the case of BA the Back-Up would have worked but it also failed as a consequence of inadequate air conditioning at the Data Centre .... which is domiciled here in the UK.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

P&O's site is running well again - of all the ships, there's just one webcam working today !

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”