US Web Site?

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

US Web Site?

Post by Janet- »

First of all apologies if I've posted under the wrong section but can anyone help?

I like to look at http://www.oceaniacruises.com in case I can find a bargain :)
I have never had any problems until last week when I deleted my cookies. Since then whenever I log on I get the US site. I've spoken to Oceania who says my computer's locator must be set to US. I've checked this and it's set at UK.

Any ideas anyone?

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: US Web Site?

Post by JoanneB »

I followed the link in your post and it is the site I use, the phone number at the top of the page is a UK one and I can log into my account etc.

Topic author
Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Janet- »

JoanneB wrote:
I followed the link in your post and it is the site I use, the phone number at the top of the page is a UK one and I can log into my account etc.
Could I ask you to delete your cookies and then try please

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I managed to get onto the site without any problem. I have never been on the site before and regularly delete cookies. I have just tried again and it worked fine so it has worked with cookies and without. Sorry I can't be more help but it does seem very strange.
Have you tried typing in the address manually rather than using a link or tried access via a Google link?

Topic author
Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Janet- »

oldbluefox wrote:
I managed to get onto the site without any problem. I have never been on the site before and regularly delete cookies. I have just tried again and it worked fine so it has worked with cookies and without. Sorry I can't be more help but it does seem very strange.
Have you tried typing in the address manually rather than using a link or tried access via a Google link?
Yes I've typed it in, I've used a link on an email they sent me also tried from my favourites. I'm getting very frustrated and suffering from withdrawal symptoms since I can't see if I'm missing out on any bargains. Although it is interesting to see how much they charge in the USA

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Try looking at a Canadian one ... http://www.searstravel.ca/

For one based in the USA do a Google / Yahoo search for ' Travel Agents in New York ', for example, to see what they are selling .... simples.

:thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Are your Google settings set at UK only or defaulted to All. (I wish I could set Google default to UK only).

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
Are your Google settings set at UK only or defaulted to All. (I wish I could set Google default to UK only).
Which browser are you using?

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote:
Displaying Yahoo, and using IE, I have a UK flag on the rhs of the Menu Bar denoting my usual choice, the drop down box to the right of that will enable other choices to be made.

https://uk.yahoo.com/

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
Hmmm...

After a bit of playing I have ended up with this string as a url:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?tbs=ctr: ... NCSR&noj=1

You could try setting this as your default home page but don't blame me if every search ends up with 'Mail Order Thai Brides (please specify gender)'

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Within Google there's a ' Settings ' link ... perhaps if you ' Logged On ' these could be amended to suit :angel:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I am using Edge but apparently Google have removed the UK only button.
Interesting read here:
"It's a deliberate policy by Google to get you to load at least two pages.

Cynical of me, I know, but it does mean they get twice the advertising coverage for every non-global search.

Frankly it's a rip-off tactic, but as Google figure that they are doing you a favour by providing the search engine, I guess they would argue that making you click on a couple of pages is your way of paying them for the service..........................

There are other ways, admittedly less convenient, to get a UK pages only search.

1. You can use another search engine that allows this selection from the first page, as Google used to (Altavista, Bing, Ask Jeeves and others all retain this function)

2. You can use this Google URL to search pages from the UK only (and not endure the side bar rubbish): http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?cr=countryUK This URL does pretty much the same as the old search with the "pages from the UK only" radio button selected.

I have no idea how long that second option will remain workable - Google seem to be intent on closing all loopholes that might impact their new revenue generation strategy, from what I can see."

Sorry Janet, we seem to have got sidetracked. Have you had any joy yet?

Topic author
Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Janet- »

Not yet OBF but a friend who uses BT as the IP gets the US site. We use Plusnet. PlusNet is part of BT. I've just seen on the internet, that last month people were reporting a problem with web site addresses ending with "UK". I've tried to phone them this afternoon but their recorded message says waiting time to be answered is 45 minutes, I'll try them tomorrow.

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

We are with BT, the Oceania site I use is.com but has the UK phone number on it and prices in £.

We are off on a cruise on Wednesday with them so don't want to risk clearing cookies to see if I still get it in case anything does go wrong :-)

have you tried the forum on Plusnet's site?

Topic author
Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Janet- »

I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday with PlusNet, who I must say were really good trying various things. They went away to recreate our link and phoned back later. They had to admit defeat.
I then took my laptop to Tesco (nearest place with free wifi) and tried it there, still got the US site. I again deleted my cookies and tried again. LO AND BEHOLD I got the UK site. Anybody explain this?

Thank you all for your suggestions. Joanne have a good cruise, I know you will with Oceania, it's now our cruise line of choice.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

A lot will depend on how a site is checking for which country you are from.

One way is via your IP address and although you are in one country the server that you are accessing the Internet through could be in another country, or is being routed through another country. So if your PlusNet server appears to be in a country other than the UK you could have problems. Going to Tesco you still had cookies pointing to USA and clearing them meant that new cookies would be stored which is why you could then access the site as being UK.

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Janet- wrote:
Thank you all for your suggestions. Joanne have a good cruise, I know you will with Oceania, it's now our cruise line of choice.

Ours too, :D already have another booked!!

This time we are going with friends who have had a really bad couple of years so they need a break, to say they are excited is an understatement!!

Topic author
Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Janet- »

David
Yes that sounds plausible, the PlusNet man thought of this and asked me to type in google.com and it routed me to google uk. Amazon.com took me to the US site but suggested I might prefer the UK site.
It looks like I'll either have to stop deleting cookies or visit Tesco with my laptop.

Joanne
2 in the pipeline, I'm jealous. We have to wait until February for Nautica. Your friends are in for a real treat.

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Yes Janet they are particularly as they have been fretting that their guaranteed Ocean view hadn't been allocated yet, and this morning (just 2 days before we sail!) they got a balcony! They are being particularly smug as we had opted for the balcony and the said we will spend the same but have a window and the drinks package, and now they have the balcony AND "free" drinks!!

Topic author
Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Janet- »

Joanne
Well done them. Its good to hear of some ones good luck.
Enjoy your holiday

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Janet... O is our cruise line of choice too. I am sure you will all have a great time whatever you paid!!! There is always a next time.
Jay

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”