RCI in the Med

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

RCI in the Med

Post by Kendhni »

After a fantastic Christmas cruise on Brittania Julie finally talked me into booking a Mediterranean cruise. While we have been on a ship a couple of times within the Med this will actually be our first cruise in the Med itself.

The ports we are visiting are
- Venice (start and end - so may not have much time to do anything here)
- Dubrovnik (would like to do the 'Game of Thrones' thing there)
- Kusadasi
- Santorini
- Katakolon

I am sure some of these ports can be easily done by yourself but I am not quite sure so would be grateful for any help or advice.

The one I want to splash out on would be Santorini because Julie has always wanted to go there. I believe there is a cable car and she wants to visit Oia and there is an archaeological dig there I would like to visit - would that all be doable in a single day?

Thanks

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: RCI in the Med

Post by qbman1 »

You must have been on Britannia with our Blod at Christmas. Surprised you didn't hear her - she's Welsh, you know !!

Anyways, enjoy your Med cruise - I'm guessing it's Oceana. When are you on board ?

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote:
You must have been on Britannia with our Blod at Christmas. Surprised you didn't hear her - she's Welsh, you know !!

Anyways, enjoy your Med cruise - I'm guessing it's Oceana. When are you on board ?
Hi Ken - nice to see you on board (the forum I mean) and yes I was on that super Christmas cruise with my family and absolutely loved it - don't care what other people say about Britannia I loved her - going again next January to the Caribbean :thumbup: Didn't realise you were on board - missed an opportunity there to meet up (Cubie stood me up you know - Arcadia was in Barbados same day but no show from him :lolno: )

Great itinerary on your Med cruise - the sail in to Santorini is IMO quite a sight I'm sure Julie will enjoy whatever you manage to do. I'm going back to Dubrovnik next year and will be interested what you think of the Game of Thrones tour - isn't it awful this series is over already as I'd like to do that too.
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Jan Rosser wrote:
qbman1 wrote:

Hi Ken - nice to see you on board (the forum I mean) and yes I was on that super Christmas cruise with my family and absolutely loved it - don't care what other people say about Britannia I loved her - going again next January to the Caribbean :thumbup: Didn't realise you were on board - missed an opportunity there to meet up (Cubie stood me up you know - Arcadia was in Barbados same day but no show from him :lolno: )

Great itinerary on your Med cruise - the sail in to Santorini is IMO quite a sight I'm sure Julie will enjoy whatever you manage to do. I'm going back to Dubrovnik next year and will be interested what you think of the Game of Thrones tour - isn't it awful this series is over already as I'd like to do that too.
Will you ever let that go....?!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

- Venice ... beware, they are rebuilding the Airport so it is presently a total mess and chaotic to say the least.

- Dubrovnik ... do the walls and then take a boat trip to Cavtat if time permits, best of both worlds.

- Kusadasi ... walk-a-bout else awesome Ephesus, we were advised a few weeks ago that there are signs of unrest here.

- Santorini ... Take a combined trip to see Oia and Fira, use the cable car rather than the donkeys ( the lift is no longer in use ).

- Katakolon ... an easy walk about and a beer unless you take a trip to Olympia of original Games fame.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Kendhni wrote:
After a fantastic Christmas cruise on Brittania Julie finally talked me into booking a Mediterranean cruise. While we have been on a ship a couple of times within the Med this will actually be our first cruise in the Med itself.

The ports we are visiting are
- Venice (start and end - so may not have much time to do anything here)
- Dubrovnik (would like to do the 'Game of Thrones' thing there)
- Kusadasi
- Santorini
- Katakolon

I am sure some of these ports can be easily done by yourself but I am not quite sure so would be grateful for any help or advice.

The one I want to splash out on would be Santorini because Julie has always wanted to go there. I believe there is a cable car and she wants to visit Oia and there is an archaeological dig there I would like to visit - would that all be doable in a single day?

Thanks
Good itinerary Ken. Santorini is one place I want to go to.

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Santorini there were loads of boats doing a trip to Oia and a bus back to Fira where you can get the cable car down to the ship. Fira Is well signposted so you can't miss the cable car!

Agree with the walls in Dubrovnik, also a cable car great views and interesting exhibition http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com

Kusadasi Ephesus if you haven't been but loads of DIY tour offers at the port, if you wanted something different we used ertungaecir.com for a tour of other historical sites in the area, no people and fascinating.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

After our recent harrowing experience I would suggest that you two have a special meal onboard the ship rather than on either of the Greek Islands.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Tanks for the responses guys. We are still weighing up the options but Julie will have a bit extra in the budget since I have just received another promotion in work (despite me doing my best to avoid climbing the corporate ladder at this stage of my life).

qbman, not Oceana, it is Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas (sorry P&O but RCI offered free flights) :)

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”