Do you practice safe.....

Any general cruise line chat

Topic author
Onelife
Captain
Captain

Do you practice safe.....

Post by Onelife »

......My wife and l visited our local 'you shop we drop' (tesco) flu vaccination clinic today.

At £9 a shot l thought it quite reasonable...but if you know where you can get it cheaper, let me know and l'll have another in the other arm :thumbup: :lol:

So do you take protection or do you blow caution to the wind?

I say... "better in than without" what do you say?

:) :wave:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Do you practice safe.....

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Well we got it for £0 at our GP surgery. Should I book you in for an armful?

Topic author
Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:

I did enquire at our local surgery but they said....."come back in ten years... you only qualify for free flu jabs when you're old and decrepit"

:sarcasm:

Just saying!! :wave:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

My husband is old enough to get ine free, I am not, I don't have one!
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Onelife wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

I did enquire at our local surgery but they said....."come back in ten years... you only qualify for free flu jabs when you're old and decrepit"

:sarcasm:

Just saying!! :wave:
Guilty as charged

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Just occasionally age does have its benefits, in addition of course to being older and wiser than the young :sarcasm: :thumbup: sprogs.
Last edited by towny44 on 22 Nov 2016, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote:
......My wife and l visited our local 'you shop we drop' (tesco) flu vaccination clinic today.

At £9 a shot l thought it quite reasonable...but if you know where you can get it cheaper, let me know and l'll have another in the other arm :thumbup: :lol:

You were robbed mate. Had mine at Tesco as well as they were the cheapest, and like you was told it would cost £9. The pretty young thing then said at the counter have you got a voucher, to which I replied no. After a brief pause I said 'are you going to give me one', which probably wasn't my best reply. But out came the voucher which I signed and got another pound off. Result :thumbup:

Dressing like a tramp does come in handy sometimes.
Last edited by Stephen on 23 Nov 2016, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

You could have mine for a fiver!!
SWMBO has to have one and she always gets a nasty cold afterwards whereas normally she never seems to suffer them.
As far as I'm concerned I leave well alone. If the motor's running alright why go playing around with it. So far I have never had one and never had flu. I wonder if I've got inbuilt immunity after 40 years of kids' runny noses and having them cough and sneeze all over me.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Some of us aren't old enough Merv!

I had mine done at Boots weeks ago for £9.99 + Reward Points

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

So you don't get the pensioner deal on Harry Ramsden fish and chips either?

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I had mine at the surgery too - yes I'm that decrepit! John is entitled to one but he won't have it - says he doesn't think it necessary as he's never had flu! I've told him, if he gets flu then he's on his own, no buying grapes and lemon barley water or a hot toddy or anything else, definitely no going up and downstairs.

Carole

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
So you don't get the pensioner deal on Harry Ramsden fish and chips either?
Nope. We don't have Harry Ramsden around here anyway - how frightfully common.

Most places do discounts for students. WHY?! What do those scuzzballs do to merit special treatment?

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

CaroleF wrote:
I had mine at the surgery too - yes I'm that decrepit! John is entitled to one but he won't have it - says he doesn't think it necessary as he's never had flu! I've told him, if he gets flu then he's on his own, no buying grapes and lemon barley water or a hot toddy or anything else, definitely no going up and downstairs.

Carole
Quite right too, Carole.

I am afraid I don't understand the mentality of people who refuse the 'flu jab - especially when they are entitled to a freebie. They are dished out for a reason - 'flu can be a killer for those of a certain age. Have a word with him!

We have a lady at work who is in her late 60s (and smokes), her husband is into his 70s and both refuse point blank to have the jab. They are perfectly intelligent people but they seem to have it in their heads that the jab gives you 'flu and doesn't protect against the real thing anyway! I've tried.....but there is just no helping some people.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
We have a lady at work who is in her late 60s (and smokes), her husband is into his 70s and both refuse point blank to have the jab. They are perfectly intelligent people but they seem to have it in their heads that the jab gives you 'flu and doesn't protect against the real thing anyway! I've tried.....but there is just no helping some people.
Perhaps they would change their minds if they were told that should they get flu then they would not be entitled to be treated on the NHS and they would have to pay for private medical care.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Good plan. You have connections - could you have a word with the government

Topic author
Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote:
Onelife wrote:

You were robbed mate. Had mine at Tesco as well as they were the cheapest, and like you was told it would cost £9. The pretty young thing then said at the counter have you got a voucher, to which I replied no. After a brief pause I said 'are you going to give me one', which probably wasn't my best reply. But out came the voucher which I signed and got another pound off. Result :thumbup:

It sounds like you've been rummaging around at the clothes bank again Stephen?
You may well have got it a £1 cheaper but l will take comfort in the knowledge that you probably went in wearing my hand-me-downs.

Scruffy bugger!

Topic author
Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

oldbluefox wrote:
SWMBO has to have one and she always gets a nasty cold afterwards whereas normally she never seems to suffer them.
As far as I'm concerned I leave well alone. If the motor's running alright why go playing around with it. So far I have never had one and never had flu. I wonder if I've got inbuilt immunity after 40 years of kids' runny noses and having them cough and sneeze all over me.

Hey foxy...l hope your motor continues to run smoothly because if it breaks down due to flu-el then you'll be wishing you had topped up with engine protection.

I've only ever had 'proper' flu once which was back in my early twenties, but the fact that l can still remember how awful l felt leaves me in no doubt that having my engine serviced annually is a price worth paying.

I think it is a roll of the dice as to whether scientists predict the right vaccine for the right strain but when they do it can be a life saver for the wise but olduns like towny :sarcasm: :lol:

:wave:

Þ

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:

Hey foxy...l hope your motor continues to run smoothly because if it breaks down due to flu-el then you'll be wishing you had topped up with engine protection.

I've only ever had 'proper' flu once which was back in my early twenties, but the fact that l can still remember how awful l felt leaves me in no doubt that having my engine serviced annually is a price worth paying.

I think it is a roll of the dice as to whether scientists predict the right vaccine for the right strain but when they do it can be a life saver for the wise but olduns like towny :sarcasm: :lol:

:wave:

Þ
Why take a chance. For the relatively small amount it's peace of mind. It's about time the boffins come up with a fix for the common cold. I'd pay good money for that.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Onelife wrote:

It sounds like you've been rummaging around at the clothes bank again Stephen?
You may well have got it a £1 cheaper but l will take comfort in the knowledge that you probably went in wearing my hand-me-downs.

Scruffy bug*er!
It works though.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

OH has been entitled to a free flu jab for years and also me as a carer.

Even if we had to pay we would willingly do so. Foolish not to IMO. :roll:

A few years ago the jab also included the one off pneumonia vaccination.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'll be getting the pneumonia one too this year as I've not had it previously.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I would Merv. You're definitely looking peaky :sick:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I know. I'm over the hill.

See what I did there?

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Shingles is very painful

There is a jab for this malady freely given by your GP
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I know. I'm over the hill.

See what I did there?
Don't give up your weekend job just yet :)

Return to “General Cruise Line Chat”