Forthcoming trip to Cyprus

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Forthcoming trip to Cyprus

Post by CaroleF » 21 Jan 2019, 11:17

As we're not cruising this Jan/Feb or March we decided to take a land holiday instead. We didn't want to go on a long haul trip so after some discussion decided to rent somewhere in Cyprus. Having just looked back at a report I made in 2015 about two short trips I made to Cyprus I'm wondering why we've decided on there for 5 weeks! We didn't want the Canaries and as we'd been to Cyprus before decided at least it would be a little warmer there than here - hopefully. So we've rented what looks like a very pleasant property about 45 mins drive north of Paphos. It's a property owned by a Greek Cypriot and his English wife, has a long history on Trip Advisor with several years of good reviews. We didn't want anywhere that was a white cement block with just a swimming pool outside - I wanted somewhere more homely if that makes any sense. This place has an amazing garden, with pool and old pizza oven which the owner has told me he's quite happy to come and show us how to make and cook pizzas. Hopefully although we'll be there in Spring the garden will still be as spectacular as previous visitors have described.

At the moment I'm trying to organize car hire - a minefield I've discovered and have just booked to stay at the Premier Inn Gatwick North Terminal, the night before we travel as we've an early flight. Other people who have stayed there have said that for the price it's excellent - we'll see. I'm not used to packing for other than cruises so having to pack for 5 weeks when the weather will hopefully gradually get warmer is a bit of a challenge.

So once we are there I'll try to post - we have free WiFi - or at least a report on our return. I must admit there's a small corner of me that says - it would be simpler if it was a cruise, going from Southampton, but I must relish the change - I suppose!

Carole

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Forthcoming trip to Cyprus

Post by Manoverboard » 21 Jan 2019, 11:29

I suspect that you would prefer the Sofitel at Gatwick … just saying :wave:

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 » 21 Jan 2019, 11:36

Your holiday in Cyprus sounds great - we are actually going there again ourselves, but in September. I have to agree with MOB that the Sofitel would be my choice for Gatwick, we’ve booked there before and after our flights in September due to the flight arrival and departure times.

Have a fabulous time x
Gill

Silkworm
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Silkworm » 21 Jan 2019, 13:54

Hi Carole

We are off to Cyprus also for two weeks in May so would really appreciate
a report on what you find and what you recommend.
We are in a hotel in Paphos and will hire a car for several days.
I would really like to drive thro Nicosia and also to Famagusta where my
brother was stationed in the RAF many years ago. But I believe it is not
that simple, driving to Northern Cyprus.

However, really interested in how you find it. Look forward to a report.

Terri

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Onelife » 21 Jan 2019, 14:59

Hi silkworm

We've been to Cyprus a couple of times both of which were in Paphos.

I would definitely recommend a trip up the Trodos Mountains but don't go off road as we got lost up there which made it an 8 hours round journey before eventually finding our way back to Paphos.....spectacular senery though.

keith

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF » 22 Jan 2019, 09:43

I agree that the Sofitel is far superior to the Premier Inn and we've stayed there on several occasions before flying out to the Caribbean. However, this time we just didn't feel we wanted to spend that amount of money so we'll try out Premier Inn's offering. Whether we'll do it again another time remains to be seen, however, it'll be interesting. I suppose with paying out for the house itself, the flights, the car hire we just felt we'd economise on the hotel, probably regret it but we'll see.

We have been to the Troodos Mountains and it rained so spectacularly that we soon went back to the South so we may try again. Taking any hire car into the North is very difficult. Most hire firms tell you no you can't take their car over the border. It's all to do with insurance - or the lack of it in the North.

Carole

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Manoverboard » 22 Jan 2019, 10:35

Taking a separate holiday in the North is the best approach, haven't been ourselves but chums thought it was a wonderful holidaying experience.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 » 22 Jan 2019, 13:00

We have friends that go to the north every September. They fly into Laraca and drive up, with no apparent problem.
Gill

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF » 22 Jan 2019, 14:44

We've driven into the north with friends in their own car so the insurance is sorted by them. It's the hire cars that people have a problem taking into the north. If any damage were to occur to the hire car the responsibility for repairs is that of the person who hired it - including damage to another car and if someone were to be injured goodness knows what would happen.

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF » 11 Feb 2019, 11:47

An update on the car hire situation. The owner of the house we are renting told me about a car hire firm that several of his clients have used in the past so we contacted them to get a price. It turns out that the company is in the next village to where we are staying. The owner offered us a good price, including two drivers, insurances etc and said that as we are staying near his offices he's happy to pick us up from Paphos airport and take us to our house and arrange the car hire there, no charge for the pick up or for taking us back to the airport at the end of our stay. Well that was very attractive. I knew from friends who were staying near Paphos last year and had travelled to find the house where they will be joining us for a week that they had a fine time finding it, so not having to find our own way was good. I then looked up the Car Hire firm on Trip Adviser and there was nothing but good reviews, going back several years and mentioning the offer of being collected at the airport if the firm was near where people were staying. So car hire has been arranged.
The weather in Paphos is quite good at the moment, rain is lessening. February is traditionally a wet month. According to the BBC weather site the temperatures when we arrive and for the following few days are between 18-20C. So hopefully we will enjoy warmer climes than here, although today is sunny here in the south, it's only 8-9C. At the moment I'm trying to decide what to take. Obviously we are limited by weight and we need to take layers as far as clothes are concerned. Packing will be left to next weekend. It seems strange not to have to think of evening wear, dinner jacket etc. as for a cruise. Hopefully that will assist with the weight. I've told my husband that I'm not spending my time washing and ironing so he'd better take enough or he can learn to use an iron - he's never picked up an iron in his life!
I was reading an article in one of the colour supplements at the weekend about hosting a villa holiday - probably meant in the sun but we are hosting several friends coming at different times. Of the hints that the article gave were let people do what they want. Don't assume you are all going to go around together all the time. Don't offer to get everyone early morning tea or coffee, make sure they know where all the makings are and let them do their own. Let everyone get up and have breakfast when they wish. And one of the final tips was - Ban all talk about Brexit and politics! Very good idea. I'd be interested if anyone has any other tips. I think the main idea seems to be that we eat out at lunch time and then have some sort of meal in for the evening. The property has an amazing garden area with both a gas bbq and a pizza oven. We won't be able to eat outside in the evening, it won't be warm enough but the bbq can still be used. As we are shall we say of a slightly older generation, in fact when I think about it John and I will be the youngest, I don't think anyone is going to be keen to drive out in the countryside in the dark - gosh it makes me feel old!

Carole

Silkworm
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Silkworm » 12 Feb 2019, 10:35

Well, have a fabulous holiday Carole, maybe you could somehow let us know the car hire firm details. We are not travelling to Paphos until May.

Maybe you could pretend you were on a cruise and still send us updates every few days, especially with recommendations for eating places!

Silkworm

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF » 12 Feb 2019, 12:31

Silkworm, I''ll try with the updates. I'm getting a new laptop, hopefully at the weekend which will be a lot lighter than the old, heavy one I'm used to and so will take that with me and we have free WiFi in the house. The car hire firm is called Petrides Rentals if you Google them you'll get a link to their website. John contacted the owner, Yiannis, at petridesrentals@gmail.com. He told him what we were looking for and we had a response the same day.

Carole

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 » 12 Feb 2019, 12:41

I’ll be interested in any recommendations you may have Carole. We are staying outside Limassol in September at the Four Seasons, but on a B&B basis and will be hiring a car to get out and about a bit.

Have a great time.
Gill

cruisin_duo
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by cruisin_duo » 12 Feb 2019, 13:04

Have a great time in Cyprus.

Return to “Non Cruise Holiday Reports”