Topic author
jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

SWISS RAIL HOLIDAY June 2013 - Part 4

Post by jay-ell71 »

Part 4
Day 7

After a good night’s sleep and an excellent buffet breakfast we set off to explore the town. The shops seemed to be all “Designer” emporiums, but many were closed as it was between seasons.
Today’s train journey was the same route as the Bernina Express which crosses into Italy. However we were not going to Italy. Another day, another mountain! A lovely lunch in a restaurant looking into a beautiful valley with a lake at the bottom. It is all very breathtaking, but I think seven days was enough for me. The OH enjoyed every single minute, but appreciated that I found it all a bit busy. We will be going to Madiera in three weeks’ time, which will definitely not be busy.
Another excellent meal in the hotel restaurant

Day 8

An early start. The hotel minibus returned us to the station and three trains later we were at Zurich Airport. A confusing place when departing, unlike when arriving. First we had a very nice lunch in a proper restaurant. Neither the greasy spoon nor the pub featured at this airport. Then we set off to find our Gate. For some time we sat at a Gate only to discover that we would have been going to Majorca!! After some investigation we found the correct Gate on a lower level and it was time to fly home.

OVERVIEW

Downside Very busy holiday.
The dinner on the last night in Interlaken was very much delayed because they had a banquet and the kitchen could not cope. This is why I would not recommend the Metropol.
The Honeymoon hotel is no more!!! Very sad.

Upside
Beautiful, beautiful scenery.
Trains on time and never crowded (except for the Glacier Express which was full)
Weather perfect.
We used P P parking valet service for the car. Worked a treat.

Thank you to anyone who read all this. You deserve a medal.
Jay

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: SWISS RAIL HOLIDAY June 2013 - Part 4

Post by Manoverboard »

Thanks Jay, we have done parts of Switzerland over the years and have looked into returning by doing a coaching tour with several train journeys included but the place seems to be even more expensive than Norway and Iceland ... is it ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belle53 »

Very interesting report, thank you. We have considered doing a rail holiday and I must say I was concerned that it would be very tiring. I think a week would probably be enough for me too.

Topic author
jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Manoverboard wrote:
Thanks Jay, we have done parts of Switzerland over the years and have looked into returning by doing a coaching tour with several train journeys included but the place seems to be even more expensive than Norway and Iceland ... is it ?

Unfortunately I have not been to Iceland, and went to Norway so long ago I cannot compare. Switzerland is not cheap, but we felt that coffee, wine and beer were similar to London prices, and restaurant prices were top end but not prohibitive. I think it helped to have half board in the hotel restaurants as this meant we bought lunches which are usually less expensive than evening meals.
Jay

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for your report - it's a good reminder that there are other holidays out there apart from cruising!

Mr Gill went to Switzerland with his school in the 60's, and would like to revisit, so it's on our (long list) of places to visit.
Gill

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Enjoyed your report. It seemed quite an energetic holiday, I was exhausted reading about it. :D Switzerland is somewhere I have always wanted to go but our circumstances are such now that because we can no longer fly it's not possible.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

A very interesting series of posts, jay.
My mother used to always saywhat a lovely country Switzerland was ... But still have to visit

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

emjay45 wrote:
Enjoyed your report. It seemed quite an energetic holiday, I was exhausted reading about it. :D Switzerland is somewhere I have always wanted to go but our circumstances are such now that because we can no longer fly it's not possible.
Can't you drive it? I've done it a few times, once with a caravan on the back.

Topic author
jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
emjay45 wrote:

Only if you can leave the car say in Interlaken and then take the trains and return to Interlaken. Obviously it would take a lot more than 8 days, perhaps not too practical.
Jay

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

jay-ell71 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
emjay45 wrote:

Only if you can leave the car say in Interlaken and then take the trains and return to Interlaken. Obviously it would take a lot more than 8 days, perhaps not too practical.
Don't forget we have to cross the Irish sea first, before we even start. In the past we have driven to France and Germany but we were a lot younger then. Now the ease of cruising to destinations suits us much better. As Jay says not too practical for us.

Topic author
jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

I have put a couple of pics in the gallery.
(I find making them small enough quite tricky so there are only two!!)
Jay

Return to “Non Cruise Holiday Reports”