Post by Snoozen82 »

Anyone else booked this one yet??

So very excited! :P

Razorback
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: R622 - Xmas & New Years

Post by Razorback »

Yes, we've booked on QM2. Southampton to Caribbean and back to NY. We also are very excited.

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

Ours isn't until December 2016 :D

lsacmK1
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by lsacmK1 »

Yep, the wife and I have just booked for this one. Although we have cruised many times this will be our first Xmas Caribbean cruise and also the first on the Aurora.

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

Hi IsacmK1

It seemed so long ago that we booked this, it's now under a year away :) I can't wait

We have done a transatlantic before, and a xmas cruise, but never a transatlantic xmas cruise and never on the Aurora. It will be our first time cruising with our son - he'll be 3!

The mother in law will also be getting married on board on New Years Eve...........

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

That all sounds great Snoozen82

May the Cruise Gods smile favourabley on you. :D

And welcome to the forum IsacmK1 :wave:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Goosebear Mum
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Goosebear Mum »

Hi. Just resurrecting this... First post for me on this forum, though I've been a lurker for c.18 months...

After getting holiday approved at work, and hubby managing to get travel insurance, we booked this cruise a few days ago and we're massively excited :) Not done a transatlantic before, but we did Christmas last year on Aurora to Scandinavia, etc, and we loved everything (apart from a shambolic embarkation) That was my husband's first cruise and my first 'proper' one. I have been on a research vessel (holiday) for 3 weeks to Antarctica though, so Aurora felt very stable in the rough seas (spray up to our balcony on B deck!)

We hope there's a good range of day time activities on board for the long sea days, for when we don't want to read all the time... I'm looking forward to the relaxation as I'm always shattered at work by Christmas, hubby's only slight concern is whether he'll get a little bored with 7 sea days in a row...

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Hello and welcome! We did the same one on Arcadia last year and we really did not have the time to get bored! I am sure you will find plenty to occupy you and Christmas with P&O is always enjoyable for us (this year will be our 9th consecutive one!). Have a great time - and enjoy the anticipation too!

Goosebear Mum
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Goosebear Mum »

Thanks for your reply :) We're really excited!

Which activities did you partake in? I may give the choir and art class a try :) Our last cruise, although 9 days, only had 3 sea days; so onboard activities were minimal. This didn't bother us, as we used them as rest days. This time I want to get out and join in more. Be interesting to see what we have offered this time!

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

Welcome Goosebear Mum! Nice to hear another one booked for this cruise........
How did you find Aurora last xmas? We've done xmas onboard Oceana before, but found xmas day a bit of a let down - especially at dinner.

Goosebear Mum
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Goosebear Mum »

Christmas Day was odd, it didn't feel like Christmas Day, but we can't pin point why! Maybe because the main meal was in the evening and we hadn't spent hours preparing it, is all my husband could suggest! (The meal was okay but the sprouts were bullets and inedible, but the rest was nice enough.) And we hadn't gone out for a walk in the afternoon in the Dales with our Santa/Rudolph masks! We did walk round the Prom but it was a bit rough.

We loved the cruise, itinerary and Aurora. Though we have nothing to compare her with, being our first mainstream cruise. I think this year will feel even less like Christmas, as it'll be very hot! I have asked my husband what we could do to make it more 'Christmassy' but neither of us knows... We had decorated our cabin (magnets to hold up cards and decorations) and will do so again. I have told him categorically I'm not helping make the meal!!! Maybe if we're brave enough, we'll remember to take the cardboard masks for a prom walk...

We're in our 40s/50s. Last year was a really good range of ages, I'm assuming this year will be an older demographic being a long cruise, and zika will understandably put child bearing couples off... There were apparently over 200 children last year but we rarely saw any.

It was fun, friendly, the food was generally very good. The ship for us was perfect in most ways. Can't wait to be back on her!

Oh and we're currently on first sitting, unless the time of that changes to be earlier; just heard Arcadia first sitting is now 6.15. That's pushing to be a little too early for me I think. I'm going to ask p&o at some point for confirmation before it's too late for us to change our option in the personaliser.

GBM

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

Yes, it was exactly the same for us - couldn't quite pin point why it didn't feel like xmas - maybe like you say it was because xmas dinner was at nearly 9pm and it wasn't that great (and seemed very rushed). But, there weren't many xmassy activities to do on board. I think we watched "Elf" in one of lounges around lunchtime, but that was about it.
I'm sure this year it'll be a little different as we'll have our 3 year old with us and i can imagine the kids clubs will be full of xmas activities! I just hope that there are at least a few other children his age on board............
Also, there'll be the mother in laws wedding to look forward to on New Years Eve - I apologise in advance for any rowdiness that day :P

Topic author
Snoozen82
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Snoozen82 »

So, today I started to pack............ dear god! How will this all fit in the car? :shock:

Any one else? Can't believe its less than 3 weeks away now! :D

Return to “Aurora Cruises 2016”