Balcony cabins on the Promenade Deck?

All about Iona

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Balcony cabins on the Promenade Deck?

Post by CaroleF »

I read a posting somewhere about someone asking what people thought about having a balcony cabin on the Promenade Deck on Iona as people would be walking past. I couldn't believe there were to be balcony cabins on that deck so I looked at the Deck Plans for Iona and sure enough there are, quite a lot of them - labelled as 'Obstructed'. Would people really pay to have a balcony where people are walking past? John said it's no different from sitting on a chair on the Promenade deck of other ships but it is as there you can choose to sit adjacent to the rail, overlooking the sea and people are walking past but behind you, but when you are on a balcony next to the Promenade deck you have the deck between you and the ship's rail. Can't believe it, or rather I can because it makes more money.

Carole

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Balcony cabins on the Promenade Deck?

Post by Finker »

On Holland America ships it is called a Lanai.

Most peculiar but perhaps someone who has been on Holland America may shed some light on this type of stateroom.

I think you would need to be a particular type of person to book this accommodation.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I wonder if you can step out onto the promenade deck directly from your balcony? And are the balconies steel or glass fronted.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I'm curious about these.

A friend of mine once had an outside cabin on a Royal Caribbean ship that overlooked the interior.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 20:15
I wonder if you can step out onto the promenade deck directly from your balcony? And are the balconies steel or glass fronted.
Topped with broken glass and razor wire to keep out the drunken riff raff getting the maximum value from the drinks package! :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Wow what an idea! I just can see the sense in paying for a balcony with absolutely none of the advantages normally associated with a balcony as far as I can see - no wondering out in dressing gown for early morning drink!

Return to “About Iona”