Queenstown - Day 1

Davi'd trip to New Zealand in 2018 with a "grand tour" of South Island

Topic author
Official Autopost
Bot
Bot

Queenstown - Day 1

Post by Official Autopost »

Today we started off on our "Grand Tour" of South Island. Before we came over to New Zealand we spent quite a lot of time working out what would be the best/easiest way of getting down to South Island. Eventually we decided that we would fly down to Queenstown and then drive around South Island eventually ending up at Picton to take the ferry across to Wellington - but more of that later.

Never having done an internal flight in New Zealand before we were pleasantly surprised as to how well organised it was - with a confortable plane with plenty of leg room. However the "snack" during the flight was another matter, let's say this - the best part of it was the cup of water!!

We arrived in Queenstown around 14:00 to a hot and sunny day (the temperature this afternoon was recorded as 30C). The next task was to collect the hire cae which was pre booked in the UK before we left (actually we got a good deal with Hertz via an offer on Saga - 20% off if paid in advance). OK car sorted, and found in the parking lot, the next task was to find the accomodation - not easy in a strange town. Anyway we eventually arrived and we have an appartment overlooking the lake and the views are spectacular (photos to follow)

Next job was to get some supplies (I am on a mission to support the New Zealand wine industry!) and then get ourselves sorted out.

Tomorrow, hopefully, we will, for us, be going on an "extreme"adventure - weather permitting, but you will have to wait until tomorrow to find out about that.

Source: http://pear-tree.org.uk/blog/index.php? ... Day-1.html

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Queenstown - Day 1

Post by allatc »

Hope Te Anau and Milford Sound are on your itinerary.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

allatc wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 09:18
Hope Te Anau and Milford Sound are on your itinerary.
Te Anau is the next stop but we are doing Doubtful Sound as opposed to Milford Sound as we have been advised that Miford Sound can be busy

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

New Zealand South Island is full of extreme adventure opportunities so it’ll be interesting to see which you have chosen.
Gill

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

I am confused..............easily done I know!

Is this thread by our own David 63 because he is travelling on this cruise, or is it the Face Book thread thing? Just curious as I don't normally "do" the Facecloth link.

Many thanks

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

Can highly recommend the trip on the Earnshaw, grand piano and all! The house is lovely and we saw sheep shearing and had a very nice meal at the house. The return trip was good fun and was good value for money.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

MaureenB wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 11:15
I am confused..............easily done I know!

Is this thread by our own David 63 because he is travelling on this cruise, or is it the Face Book thread thing? Just curious as I don't normally "do" the Facecloth link.

Many thanks
This is from the other Maureen who also gets easily confused :lol: :lol: It is our David63 and he flew out and has used internal flights and has also hired a car out in New Zealand. Presumably he will be on a boat to explore Doubtful Sound so it appears to be a case of planes/cars/boats and possibly trains but haven't seen one of those mentioned yet.

I think that's right but I'm sure someone will correct us otherwise.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 18:54
possibly trains but haven't seen one of those mentioned yet.
Be patient - trains will appear later
Is this thread by our own David 63 because he is travelling on this cruise, or is it the Face Book thread thing?
Yes it is me and I am not on a cruise but a land based holiday

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

david63 wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 19:13
Is this thread by our own David 63 because he is travelling on this cruise, or is it the Face Book thread thing?
Thank you all for the clarification :D
Am I the onĺy one fed up with those facecloth posts? There are 2 or 3 today that promise photos which when you click on them invite you to join Face book to view them! Never!! The other thing is that they are forcing David's (and quite possibly other "real" posters) posts off the latest post screen. Can they please be made to go away or the latest post list be extended by say 6 more posts?

Rant over :lol:

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

MaureenB wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 17:39
david63 wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 19:13
Thank you all for the clarification :D
Am I the onĺy one fed up with those facecloth posts? There are 2 or 3 today that promise photos which when you click on them invite you to join Face book to view them! Never!! The other thing is that they are forcing David's (and quite possibly other "real" posters) posts off the latest post screen. Can they please be made to go away or the latest post list be extended by say 6 more posts?

Rant over :lol:
I agree with you, I don't like those posts and am not interested in Facebook!

Return to “David's 2018 New Zealand Trip”