The Children's Off Topic Thread

Keep all games together

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: The Children's Off Topic Thread

Post by Stephen »

Got the dreaded air-con cough. Its about new cruise ships fitted on/off switches for cabin air-con. So what if the lower window and inside cabin classes die. ;)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 16:47
Got the dreaded air-con cough. Its about new cruise ships fitted on/off switches for cabin air-con. So what if the lower window and inside cabin classes die. ;)
I thought all cabin grades had air con Stephen, or are you suggesting that opening your balcony cabin door reduces the air-con cough, personally I find shutting the door and adjusting the temp. is the best way.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 22:58
I thought all cabin grades had air con Stephen, or are you suggesting that opening your balcony cabin door reduces the air-con cough, personally I find shutting the door and adjusting the temp. is the best way.
I just sleep on the balcony now :D

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 07:53
towny44 wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 22:58
I just sleep on the balcony now :D
Well you certainly can on the Eclipse, which you could not on Britannia, without banging into something every time you turned over.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I'll be honest John, when i first boarded i was a bit sceptical about the ship, but as time has gone on i have warmed to her. Excellent service and food. One or two things P&O do better but then you're never going to get everything 100% perfect.

The included drinks package is a bonus and a must have.

:thumbup:

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Glad you're having a good time. Shame you've nothing to claim Compo for though. Life ruined

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Got a cold and haven't had a decent cr*p in days so life is ruined and the compo claim is on its way.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

If you pay extra on Calamity you can get an ensuite cabin. Just saying.....

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Quite happy with the bucket and chucket Merv. The riff raff below are not so happy though.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Stephen wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 10:31
Got a cold and haven't had a decent cr*p in days so life is ruined and the compo claim is on its way.
They should offer an all-inclusive laxative package !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

and a bucket

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds like a corkscrew might be more appropriate

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

One thing with Celebrity that is not so good compared with P&O, they're port stops are short. Take today, docked at 11am and everyone has to be back on board by 4.30.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'm sure Towny will be able to put a positive spin on that !

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I think they have done very well fitting 5 ports into a 10 nt Canaries cruise, P&O struggle to have 7 on their 14 nt Canaries cruises.
John

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I may be thick Towny but 5 out of 10 and 7 out of 14 is exactly the same proportion!

If you're going to knock P&O regularly at least find something better than that!

You'll notice by the way I've stuck to my resolution and stopped knocking Calamity, even if they couldn't manage to get Stephen to Madeira in time to enjoy the beer I'd bought for him.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 16 Oct 2017, 23:37, edited 3 times in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 23:31
I may be thick Towny but 5 out of 10 and 7 out of 14 is exactly the same proportion!

If you're going to knock P&O regularly at least find something better than that!

You'll notice by the way I've stuck to my resolution and stopped knocking Calamity, even if they couldn't manage to get Stephen to Madeira in time to enjoy the beer I'd bought for him.
You doubt my Maths Merv? Well here is the answer, all cruises to the Canaries have at least 5 sea days to get there and back, so you need to deduct that from both to achieve a fair comparison; and as if for proof my RCI Canaries cruise, just finished, had 9 ports in 14 nights, the extra 4 days all had port calls.
So knocking P&O for sauntering around at sea whilst other cruise lines fill the time with ports is in my opinion quite fair. The RCI cruise also had around 5 or 6 late departures between 8:00pm and 10:00pm, which is something else P&O passengers have been requesting but without too much success.
John

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I agree with Towny ... P&O have more sea days on virtually all of their cruises when compared to any of the other cruise lines that we are likely to consider. All well and good if one likes sea days but we prefer to see ports rather than porpoises.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Some of us quite like a relaxed sea day or three rather than thrashing from one port to the next, arriving at lunch time and leaving before you have time to enjoy a sticky bun for tea

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'm with you Cubie. A 50:50 mix for me.

I'm impressed RCI managed to find 9 ports in the Canaries. Even chucking in Madeira they must have stopped in every available Bay of Biscay port going and coming. Unless Towny is counting Southampton as two!

And a little note on Calamity - not criticising you understand. But I was sat in a waterside restaurant in Funchal having a late morning coffee as Stephen's boat ambled in at around 11.30! And they'd gone by dinner time. Hardly there long enough to bother tying up.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Here's a turn-up. Rather than booking a cruise this Christmas (first time we haven't for 9 years) we have just booked into a Warner Care Home (more in desperation than hope !)

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Don't Warner do Christmas in November? Then repeat every week until March.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Merv, I thought you were the one who felt that there should be choices on a cruise, like freedom or club dining etc, so why not allow those who want ports to have them, and those that prefer sea days could just stay on board. Now that might need more flexibility from the entertainment team which might prove a bit more difficult on P&O than some other lines.
Oh and by the way you clearly have not read my posts regarding our cruise, there were only a couple of late port arrivals, which is really no problem at this time of year when it takes till lunch time for it to warm up even in the Canaries, and there were 5 or 6 late departures resulting in really long port times.
John

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I do believe in choice on cruises which is why I'm pleased some lines do more or less sea days than others.

But a day in port not getting off is not the same as a sea day so I'm happy to choose whichever line suits my mood at the time.

If others want port intensive cruises they are entirely free to choice those too.

And to repeat 7 ports in 14 days works for me with nice relaxing days at sea between.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 22:13
I do believe in choice on cruises which is why I'm pleased some lines do more or less sea days than others.

But a day in port not getting off is not the same as a sea day so I'm happy to choose whichever line suits my mood at the time.

If others want port intensive cruises they are entirely free to choice those too.

And to repeat 7 ports in 14 days works for me with nice relaxing days at sea between.
Checkout P&O's Canaries cruises Merv, you will note that the sea days are all grouped together, not nicely spaced like some Med Cruises, and even P&O's Med cruises tend to have 2 or 3 sea days together at the start and finish.
Sorry to keep stressing these points Merv, but your ideal of one port followed by one sea day over 14 days is just not possible from Southampton, even the RCI group struggle with these itineraries, but they do seem to even them out a hell of a lot better your good old P&O.
John

Return to “Games”