Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
Sybella
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

J403

Post by Sybella »

Atlantic Coast Cruise, 30th Apr 2014 J403
We live about 80 miles away and the journey involves both M25 and M3. Traffic was busy but kept moving. The last few minutes near Dock Gate 4 were a bit fraught with the roadworks but the Marshall were doing a great job and CPS as efficient as always.
As we were lucky enough to be in a mini suite we had priority boarding. So at the top of the escalator we were directed to a check in desk, the formalities quickly sorted and we walked straight onto the ship. Onboard by 12-15pm.
Once on the ship we had lunch in the main restaurant, champagne and snacks, very nice. Our cabin was ready by 1-30pm and our luggage was there. We unpacked and went to the muster at 4pm. The cabin is great, large and roomy, big bathroom with jacuzzi bath and separate shower and 2 sinks. The balcony is very roomy with large table with 2 chairs and 2 recliners. The welcome champagne and chocolates are a nice touch as is the fruit basket. Canapés every evening were delicious and nice to nibble as we got ready for dinner.
We changed for dinner, we were 8 second sitting, our choice every time. We went to Intermezzo for 7pm to meet up with a couple I had been chatting too on line , lovely to meet and get to know them. Then into the dining room, table 44 near the back with a great view of the wake. Lovely people on our table of 8, mum and I and 3 other couples. It was a really lovely table.
Went to the theatre, Headliners, very good, then to bed.
If you were on this cruise you probably saw us around the ship as mum uses a bright red rollator. This does mean we are very careful about going off the ship and using a tender is not a good idea. So we sat and watched others bobbing up and down as they entered the harbour at St Peters Port.
The evening entertainment was Roger Wright, we have seen him before and I like him very much.
Then a lovely sea day, my favourite kind of day! We found a spot on the Prom deck out of the wind to sit and watch the ocean, had afternoon tea in the restaurant and just lazed the day away. Black tie night and Captain's Gala Party, held by the Neptune Pool. After dinner the theatre was the Headliners, very good.
I was up early on our balcony to watch the spectacular sail into Lisbon. We went ashore but were disappointed by the lack of cafés near the ship. Had a lovely sail away by the Aquarius pool.
Next day was Cadiz, we were pleased to find a shuttle bus was put on by the port to take you to the gates, much better than the long walk along the quayside. We walked to the main square and found a cafe for a drink and some gorgeous churros. Back to the ship and sat on our balcony for a while. Headliners in the theatre.
Most nights we had a cocktail in The Spinnikers bar and listened to the lovely music and singing from Stuart Anderson.
Then a sea day, restful and relaxing. Peninsula Cocktail party, held by the Neptune Pool. Next port wad Oporto, we stayed on the ship as it was too long a shuttle for mum to manage.
La Coruna was a pretty place, the ship docked right in and we walked to the main square. It is called the Crystal City due to all the glass on the front of the buildings. Tonight there was a very good saxophone player, Julian Smith, excellent show.
A sea day, packing, last minute shopping!
We docked in Southampton by 5am.. off the ship just after 8 am and in the car and away before 9am. A lovely cruise, our first not going to the Mediterranean. We love Arcadia and are already looking forward to going back on her.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: J403

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks for your report Sybella.

I have just looked up churros and realise now that I have seen them but didn't know what they were so that's something for me to try next time we go to Cadiz, followed by pastis de Belem in Lisbon!!!

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”