Reports about cruises on Arcadia

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Smurfie's Christmas Cruise

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote:
Thursday 24th December
Today started off being overcast and cloudy but there were a few hints of the sun appearing as the day progressed, but it was still very windy with some areas of the outside decks still being closed off – not that that prevented some from ignoring it and going out.

Apparently there is somewhere on board where you can get an exemption certificate so that you do not have to conform to the same rules as everyone else (such not having to wash your hands) but I have, as yet, been unable to find out where and when these certificates are actually issued.

Once we got into the late afternoon then there was a bit more of a Christmas atmosphere on board – firstly with Santa arriving, although with the strong wind it was not altogether conducive to being up on deck for too long. Christmas music was starting to be played on board and there was an excellent Christmas show in the theatre by the Headliners.

We also received our P&O Christmas present tonight and without sounding ungrateful we, along with many others, were totally underwhelmed.

Friday 25th December
Well the big day arrived and started off as any other day – the only exception was the Christmas music that was being played. We thought that P&O “missed a trick” at breakfast by not having Bucks Fizz available (OK perhaps not everyone’s “cup of tea” but something that would have just added a special touch to the start if Christmas Day)

The weather seems to be improving slightly with the temperature warming up a bit, the wind decreasing and somewhat less movement of the ship :thumbup: .

There were several Christmas themed activities on board today but nothing to make it “special”. Perhaps our expectations for a special Christmas are too high but we get the overall feeling that Christmas is an inconvenience in the normal ship’s routine.

Tonight’s dinner was, obviously, mainly based around a “traditional” Christmas Dinner, with crackers and part hats, and was probably one of the best meals that I have had (the Stilton was even better than before :thumbup: ) in the MDR of any P&O ship but having said that there was nothing else much that was “Christmassy”.

To be continued …
Don't knock the Christmas pressy - currently selling for £25 to £30 on eBay !!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

qbman1 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Welcome back. Blod's lawyer will be in touch
Don't mention Blod - I got the beers in at Coconut's bar in Barbados for our date on New Year's Day andshe stood me up!
Well if you will get pissed and fall over you should be grateful! :thumbup:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote:
Friday 25th December
Well the big day arrived and started off as any other day – the only exception was the Christmas music that was being played. We thought that P&O “missed a trick” at breakfast by not having Bucks Fizz available (OK perhaps not everyone’s “cup of tea” but something that would have just added a special touch to the start if Christmas Day)
There were actually wine stewards around the MDR on Christmas morning offering champagne or buck's fizz...or even a pint of Guinness if you fancied it !!

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Welcome back. Blod's lawyer will be in touch
Don't mention Blod - I got the beers in at Coconut's bar in Barbados for our date on New Year's Day andshe stood me up!
Well if you will get p***ed and fall over you should be grateful! :thumbup:
Bit of a problem with identifying Cubie although I did wonder if I saw our leader in the crowd using free wifi at the port in Barbados along with crew from the ship - Smurfie was it you ;)
Janis

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

I enjoyed reading your report. It is always interesting to read someone else's perspective of the cruise. We didn't rate the entertainment (other than the Headliners) and the entertainment team were definitely the worst we have ever experienced.

There were so few of them that they just couldn't keep up with the programme. The Battle of the Sexes which is usually an interesting midday diversion was so boring. ( More so because the ladies lost).

We are having a Christmas at home next year which will be the first for many years but I am sure we will be booking again for Xmas 2017.

Sue

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
hiding in one of the lifeboats for 23 days meant that no one found me
I trust that was not one of those that they used when the practised "abandon ship"!
qbman1 wrote:
There were actually wine stewards around the MDR on Christmas morning offering champagne or buck's fizz...or even a pint of Guinness if you fancied it !!
Not when we went down for brekkie there weren't.

Are you sure that it was breakfast and not dinner :lol: :lol: :lol:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
Not when we went down for brekkie there weren't.

Are you sure that it was breakfast and not dinner :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope, I wasn't that pickled - deffo brekkies. Mind you, we weren't there until about 9:15

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

That's a bit early for a cruising breakfast!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
You have to remember that qb was having breakfast in the lifeboat restaurant and not the ship's MDR :crazy:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Had a lot of meals and drinkies to cram in - it was Christmas Day after all

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”