Melsea's 1st Half World Cruise, Arcadia 2016 Part 11

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's 1st Half World Cruise, Arcadia 2016 Part 11

Post by melsea »

Day 41. At Sea. In the Caribbean on the way home.
Hot hot outside, cooler inside in places.

22nd April 2016 clocks went forward at midday. Aruba time.

A very lazy day today.
Bill went to a meal in the evening that had a mixture of Christians and Jews, the Captain and his wife Paula were there too. Although he had no idea it was going to be a big meal or that the Captain was going to be there also as a consequence I did not go due to a mix up of what was to happen. It was for the Sabbath.
Anyway I went to the buffet where I had roast lamb and some mitso seafood. It was actually very nice and the restaurant was quite busy too.

Day 42. Aruba, Caribbean. 8am - 11.30pm
Hot hot hot.

St.Georges Day. 23rd April 2016

Went on shore and I wanted to find the trolley bus but never found it.
So I made my way to where the marina is but not before I ventured inside the Raddison Hotel that has a taxi boat that goes to its own beach resort. While inside the hotel there is high end shopping mall with the big named brands. There's a Starbucks Coffee cafe which has wifi. At first I could not connect but when I was standing right next to the cafe, I eventually got myself connected. I read emails that came through, looked in on FaceBook where I saw a number of people checking my photos. Having been on line for a while I made my merry way outside which was very hot, since I had been inside the very air conditioned cool building outside felt even hot. A short walk away and I found there was a Zaras which I know was not there before as it turns out it had only been open for a month. I bought a couple of bits. I also saw a Croc shop and I managed to buy another pair of flip flops, these were navy blue and they were 23$.
Later I eventually got to the Marina area and walked down by the seas edge and walkway that's leads to an Oasis of a pool that belongs to the hotel resort, there was in fact a sign saying private property of the hotel, a sign that I do believe was not there the last time I was here. It was getting late and so started to make my way back to the ship. I got back 5.30pm.

Film showing today, Star Wars: the force awakens. In the globe @ 1pm, 4pm & 7.30pm

Evening show was Aruba Folkloric, it was really good and colourful a mini carnival show but there was nothing mini about their outfits. How the ladies danced in the costumes and very high eels is beyond me but they could certainly move and dance.

Day 43. At Sea.
Very hot.

24th April 2016

First thing at 9am Bill had gone to the Christian fellowship group. I met up with him at the theatre for the Interdenominational church service where he was to do a reading for the 3rd and final time on this cruise. The other person was Paula from the group who had also done a reading before. Both she & Bill read very well. Afterwards Bill had a few people who said what he read was good and on how well he spoke too.
At just after 11am I went to the theatre to see the An audience with Nigel Marven. I had missed the interview bit but saw the questions being asked by the audience. As I was leaving I saw the lady who had trouble with her kindle a while back with her husband, we spoke for some time about their world cruise journey and they said the passengers doing the full world have not gelled like they did in 2009 on Arcadia and even the crew have not been as talkative. They also told me the number of those who are doing the full trip is roughly 400. That's quite a small number for a world cruise but I wondered if it might have been because it was for 114 nights, but who knows. Which means they had many passengers doing sectors of which we were such a couple, this sector was definitely a bone of contention as it was at such a knock down price that many were upset by it. Clearly P&O could not fill the ship with the higher price. We would never have done a sector before because they are expensive but this was so ridiculous a price we could not say no, along with 1000 others.
Much of our day was trying to find a cool spot and catching up with reading on my kindle.

Evening show tonight was a married couple of ballroom dancers, so their show was a Ballroom Dance Show, they were Ryan & Ashleigh from America and they have been on the American version of sticky come dancing. The show was very good.

Day 44, St.Maarten. 8am - 9pm.
Very hot. A Celebrity Cruise ship was in town too.

25th April 2016.

Went to the beach and walked along to virtually the end of it. I had a lovely walk walking in the cool sea and it kept me cool during all this time. I manage to get the sand off my feet as there was a shower tap just off the beach for this very purpose and it feet felt very good. I then made my way back to the ship via the shopping area. Which was an extremely hot walk back. I bought a table handbag holder for a friend in a little shop I had visited before. I then bought another one for me that was from a shop that makes their own jewellery. I got back to the ship at 4.30.
When I got back Bill said Robin Cousins was on board and that this evening there was to be an impromptu 'an audience' with him for the two sittings, this was because the guest entertainment was not on board a Mr Pingxin Xu from Canada I think they said he was not allowed to either leave Canada or that he arrived at St.Maarten Airport and they would not let him in. Either way he was on the ship to entertain us

Tropical party tonight.

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”