Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Reports about cruises on Arcadia

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Sue Kersh's Epic Adventure

Post by gilly88 »

the sights and sounds you are conjuring up are amazing sue, thank you for your reports. thanks too Denis the menace for your input into these. :thumbup:
regards gilly.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Wednesday 22 March 2017 1st Sea Day to Singapore

For the very first and last time this cruise the clocks went forward an hour during the early hours. We are now back to 8 hours in front of the UK. It was difficult getting out of bed but I stuck to my usual sea day routine of Exercise Classes, an hour in the Spa and then breakfast on the balcony, before settling down to a morning in the sun with my kindle. It was extremely hot and as there wasn't a breeze the only relief was to keep going back in the air con to cool down.

It's amazing how tired and lazy this hot weather makes me feel.

We had our usual lunch on the balcony followed by another hour of sun before I decided I had had enough. We had a few minutes of rain but it soon cleared up.

I went to the Spanish Class at 3 p.m. And then had a Spa appointment at 4:30 pm. I wasn't happy still being sat there at 4:45 with no information on how long I would have to wait. I told the acupuncturist who was covering reception that I couldn't wait any longer and would rearrange. The beautician came out and held her hand up and said give me 5 minutes. I didn't and rearranged for tomorrow.

It was formal night and we were due to eat at 6:30p.m. We also had an invite for the Round the World Cocktail Party at 6 p.m. but had already decided we would attend the 8 p.m. party after dinner.

The free drinks flowed well at the party especially as we were chatting to the Food & Beverage officer. The Captain as usual was very entertaining. As we had already eaten we were still there drinking and chatting long after the late sitting passengers had left to dine.

The evening entertainment was our stalker Manuel Martinez. He rarely misses being on any cruise we are on. We first saw him about 8 years ago and although many found him funny he didn't do anything for me. He shamelessly uses people in the audience to get a laugh. Just not my sort of entertainment.

We finished the night in the Globe at the formal ball dancing to the Arcadia Orchestra.

Tomorrow we have a second sea day before we reach Singapore.

Thursday 23 March 2017 - Final sea Day to Singapore

We turned the TV on to the awful news of the atrocities in London. We are half a world away and it was like watching something so unreal. We are warned at every port we visit to be aware of extremist activities. Are thoughts are with everyone involved.

The morning exercise class was busy again as passengers have got used to the hour we lost yesterday. I had an hour in the Hydropool and hot beds before it was time for my re arranged Spa appointment.

The receptionist apologised for what happened yesterday as did the beautician. I was quite pleasant with them but made the point that someone should have let me know that there was a problem so that I could have decided if I was staying or rearranging without wasting my time sitting there for over 15 minutes without any information.

The sun was on the balcony and that is where I stayed for the rest of the afternoon.
Our Passports had to be collected from reception as we need to carry them with us at all times whilst in Singapore.

The Howard's must be disembarking in Singapore as Marc Guy, the entertainment manager, got his money's worth out of them by doing a joint afternoon Audience with them.

The evening entertainment were Troubador, a four-part male harmony group. They were excellent and had the audience singing along with them.

Tomorrow we arrive in Singapore.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Friday 24 March 2017 Singapore

It was still dark when we arrived but the lights of Singapore lit up the early morning skyline. It was quite a view from our balcony and the heat hit me as soon as I walked out.

It was an early start and as we had been here before, and so had done the usual tourist sights, we had booked a trip to the zoo to have Breakfast with Orangutans. It was about 40 minutes drive to the zoo and we saw a lot of Singapore on the way.
Once at the zoo we were herded through to the Aman restaurant which was named after an orangutan which lived there from when the zoo had opened. There was so much food to choose from both local and western, hot and cold, different fruits, breads and cheeses. It was hard to know where to start. The apes swung in by ropes and trees and arrived right on 9:30 and joined us in their breakfast area next to the open air restaurant. They posed for photos as they ate. It was a great experience seeing them close without the restriction of cages.

After breakfast we caught the train around the zoo to get our bearings and, as we only had a short time here, decide what we wanted to see most. We all agreed it was the white tigers, but when we got there they weren't there as their area was being renovated. Typical just our luck.

The zoo is quite compact and one area a short walk to the next. We saw the elephants, giraffes, Pygmy Hippos, Lions, Cheetahs, Wolverine and many more. All the animals had their own area without cages, separated by moats. We really could have done with another hour here at least.

We returned to the ship for a quick shower and to get glammed up for the Ligurian Round the World cruisers event. Coaches collected us from in front of the cruise terminal and transported us the short distance to the Fabulous Marina Bay Sands Hotel. We were told by our guide that it cost 9 Billion dollars to build.

It was huge. Three tall towers linked at the top by a boat shape which is where our event was being held in the Ce La Vie open air lounge with magnificent 360 degree views overlooking the City of Singapore. On one side it overlooked the huge infinity swimming pool which was just idyllic. We were at the very top on floor 57. There were approximately 115 Ligurian passengers and 10 hosts including the Captain, the Hotel Manager, and Passenger Services Manager. The drink flowed exceptionally well all afternoon and no one ever had an empty glass. The food was canapés which were plentiful and worked really well as we could eat and drink whilst walking around chatting and savouring the magnificent views.

When we returned to the ship we decided against going into dinner and instead we watched the lights of Singapore turn on and then an amazing light show over the Marina Bay gardens and surrounding tower buildings which matched Hong Kongs.

The evening entertainment was very different. Destination Asia, a show case of Asian Dancing including Chinese fan ribbon dance and Indian Bhangra dance. We didn't attend but no doubt I will hear all about it at breakfast tomorrow.

We have another full day planned in Singapore tomorrow.

Saturday 25 March 2017 - 2nd day in Singapore.

We set off after an early breakfast to get through immigration before the trips got down there. Every time we leave or get back on board we have to go through the rigmarole of Singapore immigration.

We had weighed up the options of the MRT at 10 dollars each for the day with a 10 dollar each deposit and a long walk to the metro station which didn't even sell the 10 dollar pass. We decided it was too much hassle and got a taxi to Little India and the Mustafa Centre. The taxi driver pointed out interesting buildings on the way. We wandered around here and I was tempted to buy as the prices were excellent, but as I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for we came away empty handed.

We then got a taxi to Burghis St Market and close by was the large shopping mall. We got there as the P & O trip arrived but the market was huge. We made a few small purchases then headed for the mall. I located the Guess shop very quickly but their selection was worse than the ships. We did get lucky in the supermarket and found Waitrose Mexican Lime cordial. We bought 2 bottles which should see us till the end of the cruise. They did have Schweppes tonic, but not the low sugar, so as I still have about 2 weeks worth left I decided to leave it.

I decided that I had done enough shopping and we got a taxi to Clarkes Quay for a river cruise around the sights of Singapore. We had done this 3 years ago but enjoyed it so much that we wanted to relive it. It was good to be on the water with a slight breeze as Singapore is very humid. We passed the Marina Bay Hotel and could see where we had been enjoying ourselves just over 24 hours ago. One of the crew on the boat was an amateur photographer and as there were so few passengers on the boat he was taking lots of photos for us. We tipped him well at the end.

After the river cruise we wandered around the shops at Clarkes Quay before getting a taxi back to the ship.

We hadn't been on the balcony long before the clouds and mist took the fabulous view away and then the rain started. So pleased it was today and not yesterday as our party at Ce las Vie would have been a wash out. It rained hard for about an hour before the sun fought through again.

After dinner we went to East bar and, as I hadn't had a Singapore Sling in Singapore, I had one whilst we were waiting to sailaway.

We had a fabulous two days in Singapore very memorable.

We watched the sailaway from our balcony and as we were late leaving we saw the city light show again.

Tomorrow we are in Port Kelang for Kuala Lumpar.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

My very favourite city. The Marina Bay Sands is amazing, if rather too big and the pool is always too crowded. We buy cordial in that supermarket, it's unusual to get it out of the UK but as one that drinks gallons of it, very welcome. We are off there again next March.
Gill

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Sunday 26 March 2017 Port Kelang, Kuala Lumpur

Another scorching hot day with temperatures set to rise to High 30 s.
The last time we were here it was so smoggy that we couldn't see the landscape surrounding the port. It is very much a commercial port and a long coach journey into the city of Kuala Lumpur.

This year because it was a Sunday the traffic was much lighter and we reached our first destination the National museum in just over an hour. The museum is set into four different areas depicting the different stages of Malaysia. We had 45 minutes there which was long enough to see it all and to buy an ice cream.

The next stop was the Old railway building then a walk to the very ornate modern mosque followed by a 10 minute stop at independence square and the parliament building. It was exceptionally hot and humid and 10 minutes outside the air conditioned coach was enough.

The final stop before lunch was to photograph the twin Petronas Towers from a Vantage point a way from the towers.

Lunch was at the Salaya Hotel and all of the trips met there. A delicious Malayan buffet lunch with plenty of different food options and free Wi Fi which is always a bonus.

The KL tower was next and very busy but we had enough time at the top to take photographs. We were actually looking down on the Petronas Tower as although that is taller, the KL is built on a hill.

As we were walking back to the coach it started raining. We made it just in time and the heavens opened. There were only about 10 of us on the coach and the rest were caught up in the downpour. After a few minutes the coach set off to pick up the stranded passengers and tour guide.

Our final call was the Central Market. We only had 45 minutes here and it was a rush to get round to make our purchases. I ran around the stalls like a demented woman with My butler/ banker trying hard to keep up. In the end he gave me the Ringitts and went off to find the restrooms. Needless to say by the time he caught up with me again I had made a large dent in it. It is so inexpensive here and much is hand crafted. I could have done with another hour here at least.

The journey back was slightly busier but we made good time. There were stalls in the cruise terminal and a duty free shop where we stocked up on beer and used up the remaining few Ringitts. No tonic water unfortunately. Anyone know what Gin and soda tastes like or better still what I need to add to soda to make it taste like tonic. We can buy Schweppes soda everywhere so I may soon be able to answer my own question.

We had a quiet night and room service dinner. We didn't sail away until after 9:30 p.m.

Sea Day tomorrow to get over 3 manic port days.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

you'll need a holiday to recover....
Meg
x

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Fabulous reports Sue. Following your travels with interest. Vietnam is on my bucket list.

Lindsey

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Monday 27 March 2017 - Sea Day to Phuket

We woke to a dull dank morning. Very hot and humid but the balcony was wet and dirty as it had rained heavily during the night.

I went to the exercise class and breakfast as it was Eggs Benedict day, and Garry went to the Spa.

We met up with old and new friends in the Viceroy room and the main topic of conversation was what to do in Colombo. The majority of the trips are either a. Boring if this is a second visit or b. Hours and hours travel on old coaches which may not even have air conditioning. No final decision was made and we may even stay on board ship. There isn't even a shuttle to a hotel this year and the taxis only want to do tours not trips into town. It was great meeting new faces of people I have been corresponding with for over a year.

We had been invited to an exclusive luncheon in Sindhu which once again was excellent then finally I had chance to sit on the balcony. Our lovely cabin steward had cleaned it and it had dried out.

The weather still didn't look promising but it was hot and very hot when the sun did make an appearance. At 3 pm it started thundering and lightening and then the heavens opened.

I missed the Spanish class and instead watched the Port talk on Phuket.
We have booked a ships tour to see James Bond Island and a fishing village. From the presentation it looks very interesting. It is another long day out though.

It was another formal night but the entertainment was an illusionist. We skipped that and went up to East bar for a drink before the formal ball started.

We had an early night as our meeting time for the trip was 7 a,m,

The clocks go back an hour tonight putting us 6 hours in front of UK Time.

Tuesday 28 March 2017, Phuket Thailand

We woke early but Garry decided that he didn't feel up to doing the long trip to See James Bond Island.
Breakfast opened early at 6 a,m, to accommodate those of us on the early tour and even though this was not advertised in the Horizon it was very busy.

I decided to go alone as I knew many other people on the trip.

We tendered into Patong Bay before getting on to a coach for the 2 hour journey. I only had a glimpse of the town, it was very touristy, beautiful beach but murky sea water.

We made good time and had a short comfort break at a hotel only a few minutes from where the long boats were waiting to take us the 3/4 hour sailing time then around James Bond Island.

The longboats were very basic and not built for comfort. I was glad I had taken a towel to pad the wooden slatted seat out a bit. As I was alone I had a seat to myself whereas the couples had to share and they definitely were not built for cruise weight people.

The scenery was stunning. We passed many stacks and hundreds of little islands before arriving at the main attraction. We didn't stop there but sailed round it one way then turned round to sail back the other way to give both sides of the boat a chance of great photo opportunities.

On the sail back we stopped at the Muslim Fishing Village. I was amazed how affluent the village looked with the Gold domes of the Mosque overlooking the village houses which were built on stilts in the water. There were many pearl shops as well as clothing and other touristy souvenirs. I visited the primary school and although it was school holidays the children were there playing as they all live in the village on the water. They were selling trinkets to raise money for the school but they were all very well mannered and happy to try out their English.

Next was a typical Thai lunch at a local hotel. It wasn't very salubrious but the food was good and authentic Thai cuisine.

On the journey back we had a comfort break at an upmarket (mega expensive) jewellery factory/ shop. I only glimpsed at the jewellery , saw the price and just used the rest rooms and got back on the air conditioned coach. When we were just outside Phuket the heavens opened and there was a torrential downpour for about half an hour. I saw a biker skid across the road right in front of our coach. He was so lucky that the coach driver had slowed right down because of the rain and managed to miss him. As the coach pulled up at the tender dock the rain had virtually stopped. There were many drowned rats about who hadn't managed to find shelter in time.

It took about an hour to reboard the ship as tendering had been suspended due to the rain. By the time I reached the cabin the sun was out and the balcony was already dry. We sat out with a drink and had dinner there watching the sailaway.

I didn't even look at what entertainment was offer.

The clocks go back another hour overnight.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Lovely, as always, Sue

You really should pad this out a bit and publish a book - I'll buy a copy !!

AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AileenB »

Thanks for all your reports, Sue! I'm always checking for the next instalment.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Folks, I have a busy few weeks coming up so either Sue herself, or our friend David (an occasional visitor here with username PrefDavid) will post these updates instead of me 😀

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Should either Sue or David have any problems signing in/posting on here then Sue's blogs are also posted here :

http://crowsnestonline.co.uk/forum/show ... -Adventure

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thanks Dennis and Sue.
Gill

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Dennis The Menace wrote: 27 Mar 2017, 12:27
Sunday 26 March 2017 Port Kelang, Kuala Lumpur

The KL tower was next and very busy but we had enough time at the top to take photographs. We were actually looking down on the Petronas Tower as although that is taller, the KL is built on a hill.

Our final call was the Central Market. We only had 45 minutes here and it was a rush to get round to make our purchases.

So glad to hear that you did the KL tower. It was our first call on our DIY day here and it is, supposedly, one quarter of a mile high and it did seem to be that when we did this. 8-) We also loved the Central Market and have a few lovely souvenirs of our visit. We also visited the Lake Gardens as we just took the transfer to KL option so organised our day to take in as much as possible. The coach back to the ship was full of passengers comparing prices for the 'genuine' fake goods, haggled for, and bought, in Chinatown; and the genuine fake watches that we bought are still going after many years. :)

I am enjoying all your reports but especially those of places visited on our world cruise some years ago. Brings back very happy memories.

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

A continuation of the Epic Arcadian Adventure from Sue

Wednesday 29 March 2017 1st sea Day to Sri Lanka.

A very busy morning but even though it was hot and humid the skies were overcast.
I followed my usual sea day routine of Exercise class, Spa and breakfast getting back to the cabin just as the Pirate drill was due to start.

This is when the passengers in the inside cabin got the best deal as they were allowed to stay in the comfort of their cabins whereas everyone else had to sit in the corridors. I took a chair out for comfort but many were sat on the floor. Captain Cook explained why we doing this full drill and made it fun. He told us that a skiff with Pirates had been spotted closing in the ship and he was zig zagging around to prevent them from trying to board the ship. The water cannons were in place and he would do a further announcement when they had been dealt with. The cabin stewards did a head count And after about 20 minutes we were given the all clear and we could return to the cabins.
We hadn't been there long when Captain Cook announced another drill as the Pirates had managed to hit the ship with something that had started a fire. He called everyone to muster with lifejackets whilst his crew were fire fighting. As we have less than 30 nights left on board this will probably be the last muster drill of the cruise.

By the time we returned to the cabin the sun was out and that is where we spent the rest of the day.

John Sergeant had joined the ship as a guest speaker and was talking about why he became a journalist when he could have been a dancer.

It was a perfect warm evening for the Tropical Party on deck.

Tomorrow is another Sea Day before we reach Sri Lanka and unusually we have to put the clocks back 1/2 hour.

Thursday 30 March 2017 2nd Sea Day to Sri Lanka

The sun was on the balcony very early and it promised to be another very hot day with little or no breeze.

After the usual morning routine I returned to the cabin and realised we were virtually at a standstill. The Captain announced that there was a technical problem with the Starboard Pod which the engineering team were trying to fix.

We continued all day just using the Port side pod and managed about 17 knots but the ship was juddering and vibrating. It was around 4 p.m. Before it was finally fixed then it was full speed ahead to make up for the lost time.

We spent the day on the balcony reading and enjoying the sun and the shade. We saw many Dolphins playing in the wake and Whales were spotted at times during the day.

It was the Black and White formal night. The entertainment was Indian music in the theatre but we returned to the cabin to watch the film The Jersey boys on the cabin TV.

Tomorrow we are in Colombo Sri Lanka.

Friday 31st March 2017 - Colombo, Sri Lanka

This is my least favourite port of all time but we arrived to bright hot sunshine. The forecast was for rain later but this didn't materialise other than a few spots for about 30 seconds.

The discussion at breakfast was about how bad this port is. Those who have had experience were warning other passengers to be careful.

After our bad experiences there last year we decided to stay on ship and enjoy the sun whilst it lasted.

We did get off onto the Port side to have a look at the stalls that had been set up and the jewellers. Stones are a good buy here if you know what you are looking at. Some jewellery did jump out at me shouting buy me but I decided to leave it. The vendor kept dropping the price as we were trying to leave but I wanted to think about it.

Later in the afternoon Garry got back off the ship and came back with the jewellery. He had haggled the price down further and also got a matching ring included.

P & O had changed the shuttle drop off to just one stop and the racecourse mall which should have kept the majority of passengers out of the danger zone of the town, but the reports from other passengers were that the touts, tut tut drivers and aggressive taxi drivers just turned up at the mall and were terrorising the passengers. I heard stories of them not allowing passengers to reboard the shuttle buses to get back to the ship, and even ordering the shuttle bus drivers to drive off empty. There were many traumatised passengers and I suspect P & O will get many complaints about this port of call. In other ports there were local agents supervising the shuttle buses and giving information but there was nothing like that here. Passengers were so desperate to get away from the mall and back to the ship that the buses were packed with people standing, some sitting 3 abreast or sitting on the floor or the steps of the bus. We certainly made the right decision to stay close to the ship.

We had dinner in the Ocean Grill and I chose the lobster which was as usual huge and excellent.

Some of the ships tours were late arriving back which delayed the sailaway by an hour. We finally departed at around 9:30 p.m.

We have four sea days now before our next Port of Call Dubai.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Thanks for taking over the baton prefdavid - so glad we can continue to follow the epic adventures of Arcadia
Last edited by qbman1 on 03 Apr 2017, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

My pleasure and honour to be helping the great DTM in his hour(s) of need. And of course a BIG thanks to Sue for her wonderful reports.

Here's the next episode:

Saturday 1 April 2017- 1st Sea Day to Dubai

April Fools day with synchronised diving off the aft of the ship and an over 80s knobbly knees completion.

There were lots of tales of woe about Sri Lanka at the exercise class. Stories of theft of a watch off somebody's arm, Tut Tut drivers quoting a price and charging double, people being taken where they didn't want to go and being left there. The taxi drivers were ordering the shuttle buses to go without allowing anyone to board. Everyone seemed to have a story to tell.

It was hot and sunny again on the balcony and the Indian Ocean just like a mill pond. The lovely blue colour has returned.

Another lazy day reading and catching up with family as we had used one of our free internets for the day.

The Spanish Instructor disembarked in Sri Lanka and has been replaced by an Arabic Instructor. I will not be attending these classes.

John Sergeant was the morning speaker discussing how he got on with Maggie T. The afternoon Speaker was Lieutenant Commander Nigel Russell who gave a talk on Maritime security in the Indian Ocean and the Middle East region.

We had an invite to the Captain and Senior Officers cocktail party . A great mix of around 100 friendly people lots of whom we knew. Some world cruisers but not all, some Ligurian but not all. The drinks flowed well and we enjoyed the evening mingling and chatting.

The show in the theatre was The BlueJays a very talented and entertaining rock and roll band.

The clocks go back 1/2 hour overnight putting us 4 hours in front of the UK.

Sunday 2 April 2017 - 2nd sea Day to Dubai

I awoke feeling a bit yuk, probably the after effects of the cocktail party last night so I swerved the exercise class in favour of a bit longer in bed.

My butler went off early to bag a washing machine. Luckily he was first in the queue as when the laundry door was unlocked only 2 machines of the 4 were working. Apparently there was at least 1 machine down in all of the laundry areas. Lots of unhappy passengers having queued for 15 minutes before it opened then having to wait 45 minutes for a machine to finish.

It was very hot again with the temperature around the 30 degrees and our laundry was dry within an hour. We had some shade on the balcony but very little breeze. I had another very lazy day moving between shade, sun and the air conditioned cabin to cool down.

One of the entertainment hosts Alejandro had started a new Spanish Class. Hopefully this will run until we reach Southampton.

P & O were getting their money's worth out of John Sergeant and he was speaking this time about his time on Strictly Come Dancing.

There were many dolphins spotted at different times during the day and we watched them performing their aquabatics for us.
These sea days pass so quickly and I am perfectly happy lolling around doing nothing much.

It was the final Formal night of the 4th sector of the cruise and Dubai is another big change over day. The Headliners were performing their new show Money Makes the World go round. We finished our evening at the Formal night ball.

When I got back to the cabin I realised that I had lost my cruise card. It must have fallen out of my bag. I reported it to reception but it hadn't been handed in. They were very helpful and cancelled my old one and I told them I would collect a new one tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

Monday 3 April 2017 - 3rd sea Day to Dubai

I called at reception early morning on my way to the exercise class. Fantastic responses from reception as my cruise card and wallet had been handed in but only after they had cancelled it and replaced it. They had sorted the sticker which shows that I have a spa pass. He even told me that the wallet contained a 20 euro note which I didn't even know I had.

There have been many errors in the Horizon newspaper since we started the cruise but the latest one takes the prize. It was asking everyone to make sure their rubbish and cardboard was passed to the cabin stewards so that it could be dealt with in readiness for our arrival in Southampton in two days time! What! It is over 3 weeks before we arrive in SH. I think with the cutbacks there is no one to proof read or check the information.

After a breakfast of Eggs Benedict I prepared for another relaxing sea day doing nothing much. We spotted more Dolphins and that was before we had Wine with our lunch. After lunch they looked more like whales. There was an audience with John Sergeant where members of the audience could ask him questions instead of the Entertainment Manager.

The BlueJays performed their second show and received a well deserved standing ovation at the end. I doubt if we will encounter them again on a cruise ship as they have a tour around the country planned for next year.

It was the 1st night of Pirate watch and the ship was virtually blacked out other than the necessary safety lights. We could use our balcony but it was pitch black.

Tomorrow is the final sea day before Dubai.

Tuesday 4 April 2017- Last sea day before Dubai

A busy morning followed our usual sea day routine and I didn't get chance to sit out in the glorious sun before lunch time.

After breakfast my butler coloured my hair for the last time this cruise.
Another hot and sunny day and our afternoon was spent reading and relaxing. I did contemplate going on deck for a swim but the thought of all of the germs in the pool put me off.

There was a lot of entertainment around the ship for those wanting to get out of the sun. The Headliners were chatting to Mark Guy about their life on board the ship and their journey through dance school to get here.

The guest speaker Gloria Barnett on the Human Effects on the Ocean. No doubt we will be getting more Guest speakers on in Dubai.

The Captain had announced that we were meeting up with a Royal Naval Auxiliary ship at 5 p.m. The Fort Victoria arrived early and we went up on deck where an impromptu party had been organised to welcome the ship. It is manned by both merchant navy and Royal Naval officers. Lots of Patriotic singing and flag waving and the Naval officer on board Arcadia gave lots of details about the ship and its purpose. It patrols the area and its main role is to refuel and supply other ships patrolling the high risk Pirate areas. It has a Naval helicopter onboard and some impressive artillery. It stayed with us for about half an hour then after much horn blowing it went back to work.

The evening entertainment was Lucy Williamson a vocalist and actress.

Tomorrow we are in Dubai.

Wednesday 5 April 2017 - Dubai

The immigration procedure here has tightened up considerably since our last visit. Every passenger has to have a face to face with an immigration officer. For anyone not disembarking the cruise or had a trip booked, tickets were available from 7 a.m. and immigration started soon afterwards.

It was too early for restaurant breakfast so we went to the Buffet as it opened. How can Eggs and bacon be as hard as rock and overcooked when it had only just opened. I made do with cereal and left the rest.

We were off ship early and caught the shuttle to the Dubai Mall. We had tickets booked to go up the Burj Khalifa. Our friends who joined the ship today also had tickets booked and we met up on the 124th floor.
The views were amazing and although not totally clear due to the heat it was a great improvement on our last visit 3 years ago when we couldn't see anything due to torrential rain.

We found Waitrose at the Mall and stocked up on cabin essentials including Schweppes Tonic. We went back to the ship with our booty had a quick drink then set off again for the Karamour Mall. Hundreds of shops mainly selling fake handbags, watches, sunglasses etc. There was a lot of hassle from the shopkeepers and they were mainly selling exactly the same items. It was an interesting place with some authentic shops selling local goods.

We arrived back at the ship too late for restaurant lunch so we braved the buffet again. It was not a good experience. The food wasn't even luke warm and I decided I would wait until afternoon tea opened. I haven't been to the buffet very often this cruise and this was only my second time for lunch. Every time I go I say never again. Afternoon tea filled the gap until dinnertime.

The after dinner entertainment on offer didn't appeal and we headed to the East bar for drinks and to catch up on 8 months news with our cruising friends.
Tomorrow we are in Abu Dhabi a new port for us.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I've been reading Sue's reports while I was away on Aurora, and enjoyed hearing what was happening on the other world cruise, so big thanks to Sue, Dennis and David.

I've also noticed that Deb W on the Crowsnest forum has been reporting from the world cruise in Aurora, and it's been interesting reading about her take on the cruise.

I've started posting my reports from Aurora, if anybody would like to read them
Gill

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

Thursday 6 April 2017 - Abu Dhabi

A strange day in Abu Dhabi. The plan was to go on a Dhow Cruise followed by the souk.

We got in a taxi and asked him to take us to where the Dhow cruises were. We had been going a while when he asked where we wanted to go. He didn't know anything about Dhow cruises, so we asked him to take us to the Central Mall, he said it was closed, so we asked him to take us to the Marina Mall, he said it was closed but he would take us on a tour round. We told him no we didn't want a tour so he took us to the Corniche and left us there. Luckily another taxi came past and we got in but he too didn't know about the Dhow cruises. He told us that all of the malls were open and took us to the Central Mall which is where the traditional souk is located.

The souk was full of delicious smelling spices and different foods as well as colourful clothing and artefacts. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The tourist desk told us that the Dhow cruises left from the Marina Mall so we got in another taxi who also hadn't heard of Dhow cruises but took us to the Marina Mall. This was huge and very Westernised with a Marks and Spencer's, Starbucks and many more well known shops.

We spent some time there before asking a local tour guide where the Dhow cruises went from. He told us we were in the wrong area and needed to be near the fish market. We got in our 4 th taxi of the day after asking him if he knew where the Dhow cruise went from. He said he did and he was friendly and chatty. We told him about our wild goose chase looking for the Dhow cruise and he said he didn't know why the other taxi drivers didn't know where it was. It turned out that although he spoke excellent basic English he thought we wanted to go to the Cruise port. We realised when we were going through the port gates his mistake. He made some phone calls to try to find the Dhow cruise but it must be the best kept secret in Dubai and we never did get on the Dhow cruise. We could see them sailing but no one knew where to go to get on one. P & O were doing trips on them as was the HO HO bus. The plus side was that we saw a lot of Abu Dhabi .

I got the shuttle with some friends to another mall while Garry relaxed in the spa. There was a huge Co op Hypermarket there and we stocked up on cabin supplies. The Coke worked out at 20 pence a can.

I felt sorry for some of the crew as they were not allowed outside the port. No one knew the reason why as some crew were allowed and others weren't. They work so hard and get so little time off.

After dinner we walked around the prom deck and as we were still in port had a great internet signal from cruise port terminal. It was a lovely warm night.

A relaxing sea day tomorrow before we reach Khorfakkan our final port in the Arab Emirates.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

An interesting and somewhat exasperating day.
Gill

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I think a drink was called for after all that! I'm enjoying your reports keep them coming!

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

Saturday 8 April 2017- Khor Fakkan

After a relaxing hot and sunny sea day we arrived in Khor Fakkan. This is the least built up Emirates port we have visited and is situated in a picturesque bay. Unfortunately the port was another container terminal as it is the only natural deep sea port in the region and one of the major container ports in the Emirates.

I had researched the port and found that the local Oceanic hotel offered a day pass to use their pool, private beach facilities, sun loungers and shade, and included lunch. For 125 dirhams each about £25. I messaged them and they arranged to collect us from the Port. In actual fact the port gate was a fair walk from where the ship docked and once there we asked the port guard where the Oceanic shuttle was. He pointed us in the direction of the taxis another fair walk and the shuttle was there. Apparently other cruise lines shuttle pax to this point but P & O were taking their pax 30 minutes away into Fujairah the next towns mall. The Khor fakkan locals were not happy about this as they had made an effort to welcome the passengers but virtually everyone had either booked a trip or were taken 30 miles to another bland shopping mall.

We had a fabulous day at the The Oceanic hotel. It was pristine clean with a beautiful private beach and a huge swimming pool with a smaller covered one for children. No dress restrictions here as there are on the public beach. The sea temperature was perfect but the colour was a greeny yellow so not like the Caribbean Sea. It was clear and there were plenty of fish around but not the colourful Tropical kind. The lunch was amazing, three course buffet with different types of fruit, salads, dips, soups , breads etc, and hot dishes both International and Arabic. There was a chef cooking different pastas to order, and there were about 20 different deserts, and bottled water was served with the meal. The lunch alone was worth the admission charge.

When we decided to leave the concierge told the doorman to drive us back to the port in a large car rather than the shuttle bus. He took us to the port gates and asked if he could drive us to the ship. The port authorities wouldn't give him permission but there was another car going into the port so they told him to take us to save the walk in the heat.

There was a duty free shop / shack and not expecting much as this was a dry state we were very happy to find tiger beer, New Zealand and Chilean wine, and many spirits all at excellent prices. As it was pointless the guy giving us change in Dirham coins he gave us a Hershey bar as change.

Back on the ship I had time for a cold beer before getting ready for the night.

The entertainment was supposed to be Blame it on the Boogie. At the 7 p.m. early show 2 dancers were injured and so the 8:30 one was cancelled. These things happen but we were in the theatre for 8 p.m. and the cancellation announcement was not made until 8:30 p.m. the film Sully was shown instead but as we had already seen this we gave it a miss.

60 s & 70 s party was on deck and it was a perfect evening for it.

We now have 5 sea days before we reach our next port of call Aqaba, 4 of which are in the High Risk Pirate zone.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

The hotel sounds a good bet for any future calls. I do enjoy a nice hotel beach day.
Gill

prefdavid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by prefdavid »

3 of 5 Sea days to Aqaba

Sunday 9th April 1st sea Day to Aqaba, Jordan

The sea days all seemed to blend into one as the weather was excellent and the seas calm.

The final World Cruise coffee morning was well attended and as it was our friends birthday I had arranged for balloons over our table. The officers served the biscuits and chatted with the passengers.

We had another excellent dinner in the Ocean Grill and gave the show a miss as it was another juggler.

Mon 10 April 2017 - 2nd sea day to Aqaba

I missed the morning exercise class after bad night probably caused by too much rich food.

Another very hot calm sea day and lots of dolphin activity. We were in the High Risk Pirate area but thankfully no sign of anything untoward.

We had a meet up with friends in Viceroy room and some new passengers who had joined us in Dubai. Apparently some pax who had done the Indian golden triangle tour before boarding the ship had become unwell and were confined to cabin. Let's hope the ship has managed to contain it or we may not be allowed to dock in Aqaba.

At noon all the full World cruisers were invited to a photo shoot at the Aquarius deck area. Some very unhappy pax as the area had been roped off all morning for this 10 minute photo shoot. It should really have been held at 9 a.m. to cause less disruption to passengers. We were given a photo of 3 different views of Arcadia as a thank you for attending.

The evening show was Maurice Grumbleweed. OMG I remember seeing him when I was about 16. We were undecided about whether to go but so pleased we did. He was an excellent performer both singer and comedian. We will definitely make an effort for his second show later in the week.

Tuesday 11 April - 3rd sea Day to Aqaba

Another relaxing sea day morning before we attended the 2nd and final World Cruise final lunch. The food and service was excellent and the wine and champagne flowed well. A couple on the table lived close to us and as we got deeper into the conversation it turned out that I had worked with her son for a few years before I retired. As they say it is a very small world.

The afternoon was spent relaxing and sleeping off the food and wine.

The Headliners were not recovered enough to perform so it was a variety show with the Spanish guitarist and the singer who attempted to sing Cilla a few nights ago. She couldn't manage any of the high notes then and as she was singing hit songs from Katherine Jenkins, Barbara Streisand and Celine Dion, we didn't bother with the evening entertainment. We opted instead for a drink on the balcony even though it was only lit by the moonlight due to the piracy risk in this area.

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”