Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Aurora R817 16th September 2018 to 10th September 2018

Post by Gill W »

Here's my report from my recent cruise

PART ONE

We drove to Southampton on the morning of our cruise, and for a Sunday it seemed quite busy. Then, when we arrived in Southampton it was very busy indeed, as it was the Southampton Boat Show. However, we still managed to arrive by 12.45pm, for a 1pm boarding time, so it was very timely. We were sent straight to the check in queue, and we were on board by 1.15pm.

Muster was delayed from 4pm to 4.30pm, so we went along to our appointed muster station shortly before 4.30. We had our cards scanned, and then they announced that muster was to be further delayed, as coaches had been delayed in the traffic and people were still being boarded. As we had our card scanned, we couldn’t leave the muster station, so we were ‘trapped’ for a while! Eventually, the muster happened shortly after 5pm.

For me, the cruise was divided into 3 parts – outward transatlantic crossing, the ports, and return transatlantic.

The outward crossing was very enjoyable. On the first day we had considerable swells as a result of the remnants of Hurricane Helene. Indeed, at the welcome cocktail party in the Crows Nest, I had to sit down as the ship was pitching all over the place. I therefore heard the captain’s (David Pembridge) speech, but didn’t see him. In fact, I didn’t see him until Day 23, at the Peninsular Cocktail Party.

After that, the weather improved, and it was generally sunny, and very pleasant out on deck if you were away from the windy side of the ship. I saw all of the port talks, as all the ports were new to me (apart from New York) and because the port presenter, Sam, was excellent. He spoke very fluently, without notes, and provided lots of information on the ports for those who wanted to be independent. It wasn’t just an excursions sales pitch. I also saw some talks on the history of the Broadway musical and, as usual, did a lot of reading.

The ports section of the cruise was the highlight for me

Our first port of call was New York. We had a lunchtime arrival, so everyone was on deck for the sail in, from the moment that the skyline was a silhouette on the horizon, then going under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, seeing the Statue of Liberty and then the high rise vista of lower Manhattan. Trump was in town while we were there, and when people saw a helicopter landing, they got very excited, as they thought it was Trump!

Our tour was due to go at 1pm, so we were the first group off the ship, and immigration wasn’t arduous at all. The whole process was completed at about 5.30pm, which was approximately the time we arrived back to the ship.

On our last visit to New York in 1995, we had been to the top of the World Trade Centre, so the tour to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum was an essential for us. Both the memorial and museum are very respectful to the memories of those who lost their lives, and it was quite a sobering and reflective experience to be back now that everything has changed.

On our second day, we did the Liberty Island and Ellis Island tour, mainly because last time in New York we had only had a rushed visit to Ellis Island and I wanted to see more. Everything was a lot busier than I remembered, but I was pleased to be able to spend more time at Ellis Island. It’s a very atmospheric place, not surprising really when you consider all those people who passed through.

We left New York at around 10pm, so were able to view the lights of Manhatten as we left, an unforgettable experience.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Aurora R817 16th September 2018 to 10th September 2018

Post by Gill W »

PART TWO

Our next port was due to be Newport, Rhode Island, unfortunately missed as the seas were too rough for tendering. So we went straight on to Boston, arriving at around 7pm. There was to opportunity to go into Boston that evening, but I’m not sure if anybody did, as it was a wet evening.

The next day we did our exploring of Boston. We walked the Freedom Trail, well twice really. We started at Quincy Market and walked to the Dockyard area and Charlestown, then back to Quincy Market, then on to Boston Common (and back to Quincy Market). We walked about 10 miles that day.

Next day saw us in Portland, Maine. The previous few days had been cloudy, but Portland was the start of a run of good weather, beautiful clear blue skies. In the morning we did a tour to Kennebunkport, a pleasant enough town, but quite touristy. Many places were already decorated for Halloween, and like some of the other ports we visited they make a point of decorating for ‘The Fall’ too. In the afternoon we walked along the Portland seafront. A very nice port.

Next day, on to Bar Harbor, a tender port, and fortunately the seas were calm. Bar Harbor is another quite touristy place, but there was a good walk along the sea front which we did in the morning, and had an afternoon excursion for a walk Acadia National Park. We were about a week too early for the best of the fall colours, but it was still interesting and there were some good sea views

The next day we moved on to Canada. I felt that Canada was far more relaxed and laid back than the US, and we only had to fill out a customs form to get in. Our first Canadian port was Halifax. It was a very easy DIY port, and we went to the Maritime Museum, the Citadel, and walked along the boardwalk. A very good port.

Next day, another good port, Sydney. It was smaller than Halifax, but had a seaside boardwalk, and was easy to explore on foot. At the port, there is a feature called the Big Fiddle, which is a massive violin. We did our Sydney exploration in the afternoon. In the morning, we went on an excursion to the Fortress of Louisbourg, a recreation of an 18th century French fort. It was very impressive, and it was very easy to imagine what life might have been like for the soldiers and their families. I would recommend this for a visit.

Next followed a very welcome sea day, as we sailed towards Quebec. The following day, we were due in at Quebec at lunch time, so the morning was spent cruising the St Lawrence River. It was very scenic, as the autumn colours were just starting to show their full glory. There were a few whale sightings, but all I saw were a couple of waterspouts. It was sunny at the start of the morning, but then clouded over. It was cloudy for the whole time in Quebec, but fortunately no rain.

After we arrived in Quebec, we did an afternoon tour to view the Quebec countryside, visit a Sugar Shack and went to the Montmorency Falls. On the second day we got the shuttle bus into Quebec City (we weren’t berthed at the prime spot). Quebec is very easy to explore on foot. Previously, whenever I thought of Quebec, the first thing that came to mind was the Chateau Frontenac, so I was pleased to be able to see it in person, and even more delighted to go in and have a look round. However, I thought the best part was the old town. Very picturesque, and decorated for Halloween. Later in the afternoon, we walked around the area near our berth for an hour or so. Quebec ended up being my favourite port for the whole cruise.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

PART THREE

Then, on to the third part of the cruise. Six sea days, and I’m afraid to say they were rather dull, in all senses of the word. Dull weatherwise – in fact three days were foggy and the foghorn was going constantly. The sun eventually came out on the last afternoon. Rather dull entertainment wise. They kept two of the speakers onboard from the outward journey, so there was reduced choice for talks. The murder/mystery guy did 14 sessions overall, which seems a bit much even for the keenest murder/mystery fan. Also, we passengers were rather dull too, what with the clocks going forward each day. If it wasn’t for the cinema, my Kindle and a daily walk on the prom deck, I would have gone a bit stir crazy.

This brings me neatly to the entertainment. During the day, I’m not one for choirs, or line dancing. In fact, on a sea day, all I require is sun, and my Kindle. However, as we didn’t have the sun, I felt that daytime activities were a bit limited. Towards the end of a cruise, you often get diversions like ‘An Interview with the Captain’, ‘An Audience with the Headliners’ or a Crew Show. None of these appeared this time. I think it’s a lot to do with the Cruise Director (or Ent manager). Someone like Leon de Ste Croix goes the extra mile, but this time we had a guy who was new to the role, although not new to P&O as we had seen him previously as an entertainment officer. As I said above, thank heavens for the cinema. We went each day on the homeward crossing, and it was packed for most showings that we went to. After this, I’d hesitate to do a similar cruise on Arcadia, with its tiny cinema.

The evening entertainment was mostly good. We didn’t go to ever evening show, but what we saw was very acceptable.

Headliners were a good troupe, even if we had seen most of the shows before. Destination Dance must be eight years old now, but it is still one of the best, along with the Queen Show (which had a performance on one of those dull sea day afternoons. Carmen’s was rammed with people!). From reading Sue’s Arcadia reports, I’m very jealous that Mr Tinkerton’s Clockwork Circus had not found its way onto Aurora, but there were two shows that were new to us. There was Echoes of the Night, which was a post-WW2 spy story, with a very weak plot, with songs from the last couple of years, but sung in an ‘old style’ kind of way. I think this show bemused much of the audience, as they just didn’t know any of the songs. I thought it was quite innovative, but the plot was so weak! The other show that was new, was We’ll Meet Again, based on, you guessed it WW2 songs. I’m reasonably sure I’ve never seen this show before, as I certainly don’t remember being asked to applaud the WW2 troops. I’m quite surprised that P&O are going back so far in time for inspiration for new shows. However, the audience seemed to enjoy it and the Land of Hope and Glory finale was well received. (I think my husband and myself may have been the only passengers that knew the songs from BOTH of the new shows!)

The cabaret was mixed, as always there’s some acts that I liked and others not so much. I was pleased to finally see the Runaround Kids and also liked Il Destino.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

PART FOUR

We enjoyed all of our meals onboard. For breakfast, I would normally have muesli and yoghurt from the buffet, with an occasional cooked breakfast. For some reason, mushrooms were never available for the cooked breakfast, which I thought was a bit odd.

For lunch, we’d normally have a couple of rolls filled with either meat or cheese. We made our own rolls, rather than getting them from Grab and Go, as the buffet rolls were smaller. From time to time, we’d have a burger and chips from the Grill.

We were on Freedom dining. Now, we like a table for two, and we like to eat quite early. The trouble is, so does everyone else. The situation quickly arose where the queue for dinner started forming at 5.30pm, which I find to be annoying, and quite ridiculous. However, on nights where we wanted to see the show, we did join the queue. On other nights, where the show wasn’t a priority, we’d go along a bit later, and get a pager. We’d typically get seated by about 7.15pm onwards. On the nights that we queued, most of the other people seemed to acknowledge that is was all a bit daft, but, it seems that people will go to some length to get their table for two. The only thing I can think of is that P&O replace more of the larger tables with tables for two, so people can be sure of getting their choice, whatever time they go to dinner. But I’m not sure even that would cure this weird compulsion to queue, once somebody starts going early, everyone else does!

We went two times to each of the select dining venues – Sindhu, Beach House, and Glass House, and each time had some very enjoyable meals there. If I was being picky, I’d say the burger I had in Beach House wasn’t as good as one I fondly remember from a couple of years ago, and the steak I had in Glass House wasn’t a patch on the one I had in the Grill on Balmoral in March. But apart from that, I think all three restaurants are to be recommended.

Other nights, particularly port nights we went to to the buffet. On a long cruise, we don’t always want waiter service, choosing just to pick a few bits and bobs from the buffet.

We had an outside cabin on D deck, near Raffles. We were only two doors down from the cabin we had on the two legs of the world cruise last year. Being by the ‘secret door’, there’s not much through traffic, so it’s a quiet location However, this time we had the worst neighbours we’ve had on any cruise. They were noisy from the start with banging drawers and this bloke had a loud laugh like Gregg Wallace, which could easily be heard through the thin cabin walls. That would have been bad enough, but there started being noisy at nights, and one night, they didn’t settle down until nearly 4am. I was fuming that night, I wanted to go round and bang on the door to tell them to shut up, but my husband thought it wasn’t a good idea, as it sounded like only men in there, and if they were drunk, it might turn ugly. We were seriously considering calling security, but they did finally settle down. I was still cross the next morning, and at 7am when I was getting my clothes out I was opening and shutting drawers rather forcefully! Anyway, we decided that, if it happened again, we’d call security, if they hadn’t settled down by 1am. That evening we were in the buffet and I heard THAT laugh. On an adjacent table where the laugh came from there was a small man in his 50’s, and a taller man in his 30’s. I don’t know what their relationship was, but they were my prime suspects for being our neighbours. To be on the safe side, I gave them a glare as we left our table, and the younger one looked a bit alarmed! They were quiet that night, and the following lunchtime we were returning to our cabin, and the two blokes were coming towards us from the opposite direction. Sure enough, they were our neighbours. As we went into our cabin, my husband said in a really loud voice, ‘oh look, it’s those noisy ones’. I replied, ‘’yes, so it is’, and gave them another glare. Then me and my husband went in our cabins, with a really loud slam of the door. After that, they were quiet. I don’t know if it was down to us, or whether the people on the other side of their cabin complained about them – but I’ve never experienced anything like this before onboard.

So, that was our cruise. Overall, we enjoyed it – the 24 nighter now seems to be Canada only in future, and I think I’d do it again, to see more of Canada. Given the choice I’d pick Aurora again, due to the better cinema and more select dining venues, instead of Arcadia.

Even the dull days coming back were preferable to being home, and being aware of ...errr ...current events that we don’t mention on the wider forum!!

THE END
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Very good, thanks for taking the time Gill, but couldn't possibly face doing all those sea days but would have no issues about going back to Canada. We did the ' fall ' at its peak …. absolutely incredible but impossible to predict beforehand of course.

If you could do the flights then take an inclusive tour that flies to Calgary, starts with a Golden Leaf rail & coach tour through the Rockies to Vancouver and then on to an Alaskan Cruise out n back to / from Vancouver via Victoria Island.

Last edited by Manoverboard on 16 Oct 2018, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

thanks for the reports gill I enjoyed reading your adventures. I wonder why do they not do this trip in the better weather of the summer months? , I know its a lovely time with the fall, but the sea days would be so much nicer with the sun and I would like to see both Canada and America with good weather. I don't know how you put up with your noisy neighbours, I would certainly have called security, people are so selfish. as for the queues at dinner, the ones for the shows are getting out of hand too, people turn up so early and then spend up to an hour just sitting waiting in the theatre. usually though being as I am on my own at the shows I can slip in 10 minutes before it starts and get a seat. if it happens to be in the middle of the row, oopps ;) ;) .
regards gilly.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Thanks for the report Gill. We are doing this trip on Aurora next September, mostly the same itinerary except that we don't go to Quebec - ours is 30 nights. We have come across the port presenter, Sam. He's excellent, by far the best port presenter we've ever seen, hopefully he might be there next year. We once sat next to him at a Loyalty lunch and he's so enthusiastic about his job, loves travelling and, as you say, speaks without notes and is also very keen to help those who want to do independent tours. I got the impression he won't stay for a long stint with P&O but I hope he stays for a little longer.

Carole

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

A very enjoyable read Gill, thank you.

Your noisy neighbours sound a real pain. We were once next to a couple that constantly argued - loudly - and that was awful too. Particularly as most of the shouting came from the man, who verbally abused his wife (I assume) shockingly, using foul language. Fortunately, nobody else has been as vocal.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

[/quote]
Manoverboard wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 16:16
Very good, thanks for taking the time Gill, but couldn't possibly face doing all those sea days but would have no issues about going back to Canada. We did the ' fall ' at its peak …. absolutely incredible but impossible to predict beforehand of course.

If you could do the flights then take an inclusive tour that flies to Calgary, starts with a Golden Leaf rail & coach tour through the Rockies to Vancouver and then on to an Alaskan Cruise out n back to / from Vancouver via Victoria Island.
We have spoken about a tour like that, but I'm really not keen on flying, and after each flight we do I say I'm done with flying. However, looking back the holiday we've had makes the holiday worthwhile, so never say never!
gilly88 wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 17:12
thanks for the reports gill I enjoyed reading your adventures. I wonder why do they not do this trip in the better weather of the summer months? , I know its a lovely time with the fall, but the sea days would be so much nicer with the sun and I would like to see both Canada and America with good weather. I don't know how you put up with your noisy neighbours, I would certainly have called security, people are so selfish. as for the queues at dinner, the ones for the shows are getting out of hand too, people turn up so early and then spend up to an hour just sitting waiting in the theatre. usually though being as I am on my own at the shows I can slip in 10 minutes before it starts and get a seat. if it happens to be in the middle of the row, oopps ;) ;) .
I've experienced those show queues as well, normally on the larger ships like Ventura and Azura. This time round, there were only packed houses a few times. Other times there were plenty of free seats. The only reason I can think of is that many people had seen the shows before, so weren't quite so bothered about them.
CaroleF wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 09:54
Thanks for the report Gill. We are doing this trip on Aurora next September, mostly the same itinerary except that we don't go to Quebec - ours is 30 nights. We have come across the port presenter, Sam. He's excellent, by far the best port presenter we've ever seen, hopefully he might be there next year. We once sat next to him at a Loyalty lunch and he's so enthusiastic about his job, loves travelling and, as you say, speaks without notes and is also very keen to help those who want to do independent tours. I got the impression he won't stay for a long stint with P&O but I hope he stays for a little longer.

Carole
My friend is doing the 24 night Canada only cruise next year on Arcadia. I like Arcadia, but on balance I think Aurora has the edge. Hope you have a good time next year!
GillD46 wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 11:09
A very enjoyable read Gill, thank you.

Your noisy neighbours sound a real pain. We were once next to a couple that constantly argued - loudly - and that was awful too. Particularly as most of the shouting came from the man, who verbally abused his wife (I assume) shockingly, using foul language. Fortunately, nobody else has been as vocal.
At least our noisy neighbours seemed good humoured, I would have hated it to have hear verbal abuse like that.
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Thanks for the great report Gill.
We very much enjoyed reading it

Our neighbour story was a few years back on Azura.
We were sitting in the sunshine on our balcony and could here next door chatting.
He said something about remembering the great time that they had before in Florence.
"that must have been with your first wife" she said VERY loudly … and stomped off.
We just sat there sniggering like Mutley and trying not to be heard.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Autumn Leaves for New England are being featured on BBC2's ' Autumnwatch ' at 20::00.

Tonight ( Thursday ) is the last in series and will compare UK vs USA re autumnal leaves.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”