Aurora South America and Pacific adventure Part 2

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Aurora South America and Pacific adventure Part 2

Post by emjay45 »

I see from one of the emails I sent on the cruise, which my husband kept on his computer (fortunately), that we had a World lunch on the 17th January. We had 2 in total and a coffee morning, which we completely forgot about. We had 2 World cocktail parties too. We go to the lunches but don’t usually bother with the cocktail parties. Although I did go to one of them just to see Captain Vago and hear what he had to say as I had started to really like him from his morning announcements.
I also should have said in my first part, that because freedom dining is now on the ship, our waiters changed in Rio. I believe it’s harder work now in the Medina, so the waiters are moved around to make it much fairer. We only had 2 sets of waiters though for the whole cruise and liked them all.

We arrived in Montevideo on the 25th Jan
It was a Sunday so all of the shops were closed. We had 2 days here so it wasn’t a problem. We took a taxi into the city and had a tour around the main sites and saw the many statues which our driver was keen to show us. He couldn’t speak a word of English, so I got to try out my little bit of Spanish. My husband was most impressed but I think Iban our Spanish teacher would probably have spotted more than a few mistakes. It’s not a very picturesque city but was much safer than Recife and Rio and the people were really friendly.
In the evening my husband and I had an excursion to the Santa Rosa vineyard. We had a tour of the vineyard and some wine tasting. Then we had dinner and a show. There was a couple dancing the Argentinian Tango and then African drums and dancing.
When the couple finished their tango, they came over to get my husband and I to dance with them. My husband was so intent on rushing off to buy several bottles of wine he didn’t notice and missed his chance to dance with a very attractive young woman. It served him right because he also missed the opportunity to video me dancing the Tango with a young Uruguayan man, something I’ll probably never do again. It took me a while to forgive him. I think I’m over it now. :roll:
On the Monday
My husband and son went off on their excursion ‘A day in the Countryside’ and I took myself off to the medical centre. I had the ‘cough’, which I also had on our last Worldie, and having asthma it knocks me for six. I was given antibiotics, and cough medicine and spent some time on the nebuliser. I did manage to go into the town later and do some shopping so I didn’t have a wasted day. I felt very safe walking around Montevideo by myself and had a lovely time shopping.
The boys had a wonderful day too, and I think it’s my son’s favourite excursion so far. They were taken to the Estancia La Rabida, which was a family run ranch and were made very welcome by the family. My son was the first to volunteer to be pulled along by a gaucho on a horse, sitting on a cowhide, he loved it.
29th January and we were sailing down the Magellan Straits.
We arrived in Punta Arenas on the 30th.
I had really been looking forward to my excursion to see the penguin colony but was advised by the doctor that I shouldn’t go as it was too cold and my cough wasn’t improving. So I have to be content with the video footage and photos my husband took.

On the 31st we were arriving at the Amalia Glacier. I was still going down twice a day to the medical centre and they opened especially for me in the afternoon so that I wouldn’t miss the glacier at around 4.30pm. I was in the cabin because I’d been told to keep out of the cold, but I couldn’t resist popping out onto the balcony to look too. It was a fabulous sight. In Montevideo it had been over 34 celsius and now it had dropped to 10c. Captain Vago turned the ship slowly around 360 degrees so that everyone no matter where they were had a really good view of the Glacier.
Sunday 1st February
We arrived at the Pio X Glacier and were treated to another 360 degree view. If I were to choose which I preferred, the Panama Canal, the Suez Canal or the Magellan Straits, without doubt it would be the Magellan Straits.

3rd February Puerto Montt
My son and I decided to do an excursion to Frutillar. It was a 3 and 1/2 hour excursion. We stopped in the village of Puerto Varas (it’s called the city of the roses) for a photo opportunity and some shopping. We could see the Osorno Volcano across the lake. It was quite chilly at this point but when we arrived in Frutillar it was lovely and warm. This was a lovely little seaside town. We went first to the German colonial museum which consisted of houses built in German style and you were able to visit each one if you had time. Unfortunately we only had about 45 minutes to look around the town and the museum. It really wasn’t long enough. There was a lot of travelling it would have been better not to have stopped in Puerto Varas and to have extended the visit in Frutillar.
My husband’s excursion took him to the Osorno Volcano and Petrohue Falls. He was able to go to the top of the volcano on a ski lift. This was an 8 hour excursion. My husband enjoys longer excursions which I don’t, so generally we find ourselves on different tours. Lunch was included on this tour and he also got to taste Pisco Sour, which is a Chilean drink.

4th February
We were at sea but it’s a day we won’t forget. My son wanted to try the gym and my husband took him there to familiarise him with the layout. He started on the walking machine (treadmill) and decided he liked this. He has gained weight since he became less active and really wants to lose weight and get fitter. For the rest of the cruise he thoroughly enjoyed his visits to the gym and everyone was so good with him there. We met a lot of really nice people because of his time in the gym.

5th February Valparaiso
I wasn’t feeling too good when we arrived and my son and I decided simply to stay on the ship. My husband was off for the day on another 8 hour excursion, this time he went to the Casablanca Valley for wine tasting, then to the Puro Caballo ranch where he saw a Chilean Rodeo had more Pisco Sour. (Hmm! I’m beginning to see a pattern here, now I know why he likes these long tours). They were taken to Vina de Mar the popular seaside resort and then to the Fonck Museum (I had to check that spelling twice).
We now had 10 sea days in front of us and I know some people would hate that, but we all love sea days and as someone famous used to say ;) ’The ship is the destination’. I had my Spanish lessons, the boys had the gym, my husband played cricket and golf and went to the photography talks. We would have either quick lunch or a more extended lunch in the Glasshouse depending on what we were all doing and then have some time to relax with our kindles before it was time to get ready for dinner.

10th February
Easter Island
This was one of our ports but not one we actually stopped at. Cherry who did the excursion talks, went up to the bridge and gave a running commentary, while the captain took us slowly around the island. I really enjoyed it, as it was just like doing an excursion while being in the comfort of your own cabin. Although they were quite distant, we were able to see the giant statues called moai that the island is famous for, they had been carved by the Rapa Nui tribe. The weather according to the notes my husband made was a very pleasant 28 degrees.

A few more sea days and we’ll be at Pitcairn Island.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Aurora South America and Pacific adventure Part 2

Post by melsea »

Hi there
Liking your reports especially when reading someone else's time on the same cruise that I was on. Sorry to hear of the asthma, hope it has calmed down since you've been home.

You do realise that the other Volcano that we could see from the ship in Puerto Montt is the one that recently erupted!!
The Magellans straits were amazing, we have only ever cruised the Pacific side of the Magellan Straits as we sailed round the Cape then through the Beagles Canal which believe me is just as impressive but much colder.
Look forward to reading more memories of the Cruise.
Melsea

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I am really enjoying this - thank you.

I think Monte Video is a fantastic call, and it remains ine of my all time favourites. I completely agree with the fact they are so friendly there.

Looking forward to more.......
Gill

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Thanks Gill and melsea. As you know melsea I was a little nervous to post a report as I've enjoyed reading your World cruise reports for a few years now and I thought 'how do I follow that'.
melsea, when I was checking the spellings in our excursion brochure, I realised that the Calbuco volcano was the one which recently erupted. As someone said to me on the ship we seemed to leave devastation behind us wherever we went on this cruise :o

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Thanks for the report MJ. We are on our favourite ship Aurora in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see how she's changed.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Really enjoying your review emjay and looking forward to the next episode.
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

There's very little chance we will ever do a world cruise but am thoroughly enjoying reading about all the places you visited.

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

QB It's still the same ship you know and love and I'm sure you'll enjoy the changes as much as we did. :thumbup:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

emjay45 wrote:
QB It's still the same ship you know and love and I'm sure you'll enjoy the changes as much as we did. :thumbup:
Thanks, were really looking to this one. We have booked a saver fare again but this is the first time that I haven't looked at the prices after booking.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Thanks Emjay :clap: ... you have of course covered the South American Cruise that we cancelled in 2013 ( Rio to Valparaiso ) after P&O removed all the Argentinian Ports. You describe it well and I just know that we have missed out on something special but for us it would be oh so much better with those Ports re-instated.

Aurora seems to have fared well with the long overdue changes :thumbup:

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”