Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Aurora R620

Post by barney »

Hi all,
we got back from our holiday on Tuesday but this is the first opportunity to do a brief review.

We left home in Kent in reasonable weather at about 11.00 am and were on board at 13.10pm. We had a 13.30 check in but were sent straight through, so that was good.

It was our first holiday on Aurora and I must say that we were both pretty impressed. She is a lovely ship.

We left Southampton bang on time and the sea was like a millpond. Fortunately it remained like that for the whole 16 nights. Without doubt the smoothest crossings we've ever had, at any time of year.

On arrival in Madeira, the weather was pretty good. About 20 degrees.
We were picked up from the ship by Madeira Happy tours and did a half day Nuns Valley tour.
It was very enjoyable. Neither of us had anticipated the temperature drop at altitude and we seemed quite scantily dressed compared to most others at the view point, but what ever. It was like they had never seen a man in Speedos before (not really) :lol:
Our second Funchal day was spent just roaming the town and market. We like Madeira.

Next was La Gomera. Just a walk around the town for us. not much there but pleasant
Then Gran Canaria. Again, a walk across to Las Canteras beach and we watched the surfers for a while before an excellent Tapas lunch and a bit too much Vino.
Next was Fuerteventura. WE strolled up the touristy walking street and had a couple of drinks while watching the world go by. Again, very warm weather.
Agadir was the next port. We did not get off for this one but enjoyed the ship.
Many who were not on tours said that they got off the shuttle and literally straight back on due to be hassled by street vendors. It's a shame because it must cost them quite a bit of money.
Then it was Seville from Cadiz. We had a wonderful time, doing the Alcazar and the Cathedral. Time was tight but we still squeezed in a quick lunch and a few Riojas.
Finally Lisbon. It chucked down!
We eventually decided to brave it and yep, you guessed, we got absolutely soaked through to the skin, despite buying a 5 euro umbrella from a street vendor. We got so wet that we just decided to laugh about it. What can you do? We still enjoyed ourselves.

Ship entertainment was excellent.
It was a music festival at sea cruise and the standard of the performers was first class.
Singer wise there was a Soprano, Mezzo, Tenor and a Baritone. All were absolutely brilliant. What would you pay to see artists of this quality in the West End?
For the musicians, there was a concert pianist, a brilliant violinist, a flautist, a harpist and some guys playing xylophones.
Again, they were all top notch.
It was all hosted by Kevin Whatley, who although very laid back, had a lovely way about him.
They were all on for the entire cruise and were happy to chat with the passengers.

The normal entertainment was also very good.
The first performer was Lance Ellington, the Strictly singer. He was brilliant and you could tell that he's done this for many years. Very good and very slick on both shows.
Then there was a lady flute player. I didn't really fancy this but went anyway and she was really good, so we went to her second show as well.
A sort of boyband called The Brit Tones were next and again we enjoyed them.
Next up was a guy called Gerard Somethingorother. He actually had a decent voice but his song choice was unbelievable. :?: A bit disappointed in him and didn't bother with his second show.
Finally there was a comedian from Liverpool. John Martin ? I think!
Anyway, he was very, very funny and had the place jumping.
Two totally different one hour shows and never repeated a joke.

The Headliners were a new troupe, getting ready for Aurora worldie. They still need a lot of work. They were by miles the worst we've seen over the years. We only sat through the Killer Queen until he end and that was only because we were blocked in.
We started a couple of the others but made a sneaky retreat while the lights were down.

Food wise, we were Freedom and that suits us down to the ground.
It was lovely to see so many waiting staff that we knew from previous cruises and that they remembered us as well, by name.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? You decide. :roll:

It seemed to be new menus and overall, we had very little to complain about, although others did, sometimes quite rudely and loudly.
On one evening a chap on an adjacent table sent two separate meals back and made a big fuss. It seemed a bit OTT to us but hey ho, takes all sorts.
We generally found something that we liked and there was always the fall back, always on section, if we didn't.

On my birthday we ate in Sindhu. What a treat and certainly up with the best meals I've ever had and the service was first class.

It seems that we missed the cold snap and arrived back to Southampton in decent enough weather and had an uneventful journey home.

We had always favoured Arcadia but both think that Aurora may be our new favourite ship.
We had a wonderful holiday, met some really lovely people and the ONLY negative was that 16 nights was nowhere near long enough.
Empty vessels .. and all that

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Aurora R620

Post by JillD66 »

Thanks for the review Barney - glad you enjoyed the cruise. We're going on Aurora next Friday on the Christmas cruise to the Caribbean.

My first thought is the matches I'll miss - Chester (A), Woking (H & A) and Southport (H) - but as I made the booking, I cant blame anyone else! Perhaps there'll be some postponements due to snow!

Its a few years since we went on Aurora - is she looking smart - did she have a refit a little while ago?

Topic author
barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Hi Jill,
The only game that I missed was a 3-0 spanking of mighty Rochdale.
All others were away.
Gills are live on Sky tonight and will be losing to Bolton. :lol:

As for the Aurora, she was lovely.
Yes, there has been a re-fit but we never sailed on her previously so can't highlight any differences.
You will have a wonderful time :thumbup:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

JillD66 wrote:
Thanks for the review Barney - glad you enjoyed the cruise. We're going on Aurora next Friday on the Christmas cruise to the Caribbean.

My first thought is the matches I'll miss - Chester (A), Woking (H & A) and Southport (H) - but as I made the booking, I cant blame anyone else! Perhaps there'll be some postponements due to snow!

Its a few years since we went on Aurora - is she looking smart - did she have a refit a little while ago?
I'm sure you'll love her Jill. She was tarted up 2 Christmases ago just before our Caribbean Transatlantic so you'll certainly find her smarter than you remember. Might take you a while to find the library, though ! Enjoy.

JillD66
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by JillD66 »

Thanks for the info - hopefully packing Wednesday (& Thursday and possibly Friday morning!)

Good luck tonight Barney - I've got FA Trophy replay to enjoy at home v East Thurrock!

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

An interesting review. We have never been on Aurora glad you liked it.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

You should try it - one of my favourites

Topic author
barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

As a bit of a follow up to this, I promised to let you know how Parking4cruises performed.

Well, it a nutshell, absolutely flawless.

We unloaded as usual and then drove back across the road (Mayflower) to short term car park.
Their rep was waiting, photographed the various dinks (all my doing) and the mileage and I walked back to the departure lounge.
All in all, it took about ten minutes and saved me £72.
The reverse was just as simple.
10 miles on the clock.

I will definitely use again on my next cruise. I've took the OBC on that one.

There was also an ' onboard incident' leading to passenger being put off in Lisbon.
More juicy details when I have a bit more time :crazy:

Topic author
barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Ok, I've got a spare five minutes so I'll tell you a short version of the onboard incident!

There was a young couple (mid/late 30's) from Manchester who we happened to be laying near on the sundeck approaching Madeira.
I starting chatting to the guy about football and he said how disappointed they were so far by the cruise and generally the average age of the passengers.
I said don't let that put you off, just do your own thing. He then asked what was there to do in the evenings, so I told him.
I then added that on previous cruise we've done, the 60s/70s night can be quite good and he said. that he may get up and 'strut his stuff'
It was a this stage that his partner joined in....... with a tirade of abuse aimed at him, saying things like 'don't be an effing liar, you never get up and dance, you just sit there effing drinking (but she didn't say effing, if you get my drift)
We were quite taken aback by this, so made our excuses and left.

A few nights later, we were on our way to dinner and saw this lady again but this time she wasn't with the guy, but had made a new friend (another woman)
Although earlyish, she'd clearly had a few too many and they were skipping down the corridor, singing at full voice.
I would also add that although a smart casual night, she had on denim cut down shorts and bumper boots.
Anyway, long story short, they got put out of the theatre by security for being rowdy and effing and blinding at a gent who asked them to keep it down.
Apparently they were both given a yellow card and told any more and they would be off.
A couple of nights later, they kicked off again at about 2.00am after a bit too much booze again, and were un-boarded at Lisbon

So, the rumours of people being put off cruise are clearly true and not laundry room gossip.
By the way, the guy stayed on until the end.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”