Aurora - Spain/Italy/Croatia Part 2

Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Aurora - Spain/Italy/Croatia Part 2

Post by Jan Rosser »

My son had not visited any of the ports on the itinerary except for Gibraltar which was the last port before home.

First port was Cadiz - we just got off and wandered - there was a lovely market - lots of jewellery and bags and I am afraid I together with my DIL and her mother succumbed and each bought a leather bag - I need another bag like a hole in the head!!! We walked to the Cathedral - spent an hour there looking around - my DIL taking lots of photos (she always compiles a book of our holidays - photos/tickets/little bits of information etc.) and has it printed and bound. We had a drink in a small cafe and then made our way back to the ship. It was a hot day and the girls spotted a sign for hot chocolate and churros - they didn't want the hot chocolate but went in and ordered churros to take away. They came out of the shop with a large brown paper bag full of them - piping hot and absolutely delicious - they hadn’t expected to be given so many so we all got stuck in which wasn’t a hardship quite honestly.

The next port was Messina, Sicily and my son and DIL had booked the “Godfather Trail” tour - they are both fans of the Godfather books and films. As you can imagine the girls weren't interested so the two Nannas took them to the beach - it was only about half an hour away and we were provided with beds and umbrellas - the sand was scorching hot - couldn't walk on it without flip flops. There was a beach aerobics session taking place in the sea - must have been about 50 people in the water dancing to some very loud music - hilarious. We returned to the ship around 2.30 pm - lots of excursions returning at the same time so the usual queue to get back on board. My son and DIL really enjoyed their trip although it was very hot and there was a lot of walking but they saw lots of the places where the movies had been filmed.

The sail-in to Venice started at 6.30 am so we got up early and went up to the deck above the Crow’s Nest and had a commentary from someone in the excursions department. It never fails to impress me although the first time we visited Venice we sailed in on a Celebrity ship with classical music being played and lots of Americans whoop whooping - sticks in my mind as the most memorable entrance to the port. As a first for the family though it was lovely to see how much they enjoyed it too. They had booked an excursion which they thoroughly enjoyed but commented how hot and busy it was. They didn’t want to return in the afternoon so I didn’t get off having done it all before a few times - I wasn’t really bothered and the in-laws certainly didn’t fancy negotiating a wheelchair around. I noticed from the ship’s log that the temperature for Venice was 20 deg. - that must have been at 7 am - it was certainly hotter than that during the day.

The next port was Sibenik, Croatia - the only new port for me and the in-laws - they didn't get off as it was a tender port. We went ashore by tender and then by bus to Sibenik - pretty place with lots of bars along the front and a square with a church and some tourist shops - amazing flavours of ice-cream in the little kiosks - would have been rude not to try. There were trips further afield to Split and the Dalmation Coast. This was the hottest day so far and we returned to the ship for lunch and then my son, DIL and her mother decided to go back to swim off the piers near the dock for the tender - big mistake - it was difficult to get in and quite choppy and getting out was a nightmare - they stepped on urchins and were picking out the little needles for days. Some people went on a trip to the Krka National Park but were disappointed not to be able to spend more time in the lake there although they had been told it was going to be for a very short time - the rest being to see waterfalls etc. It amazes me that people just don’t read the information about the trips they book.

Dubrovnik was our next port and we went on the shuttle into the town. Foolishly I agreed to go with the family up on the walls - I had forgotten just how many steps there were to climb - lots of fantastic photo opportunities however and a drink to sustain us but I swore I will never do it again (yes I said that the last time). It was comforting to know that the family struggled too and they are years younger than me - the heat didn't help either. We came down and wandered around the streets but the girls were hot and bothered and we went to join the inevitable queue for the bus back to the ship. While we were waiting a male passenger felt ill - would you believe he was dressed in long trousers, long sleeved shirt, full shoes and socks - no hat - and it was 36 deg. We spotted him a few times on the ship - cords, long sleeved shirt etc. was his standard garb - did he not realise he was going to the Med in July/August and the likely temperatures - the mind boggles!!!

We spent the following day cruising through the Messina Straits en route for Sardinia.

The next port Cagliari and again a very hot day - a shuttle took us into town and we bought tickets for an hour’s tour around the town in an open-sided bus - we were provided with headsets with a running commentary of the sights. We saw far more of the town than walking the streets - the bus took us right to the top of the town and we had spectacular views - lots of photos taken. When the tour finished I took the girls back to the ship while their parents continued exploring.

We had a day at sea and the last port - Gibraltar - it was a Sunday but most of the shops were open. There is a watch stall on the way into the town and both the girls had new watches - the youngest girl had a purple one with lots of buttons for just £8 and the oldest a really blingy one with diamonds 8-) for £18. My DIL however invested in a new Skagen watch and an emerald pendant and my eldest granddaughter a ring - lucky girls. My son bought a litre bottle of vodka for the ridiculous sum of £7.

We had four formal nights on the cruise - most people adhered to the dress code certainly in the dining room and the bars like Anderson’s and the Crows Nest. The rest were smart casual which means absolutely anything but I didn’t see anyone in shorts in the dining room - couldn't speak for the buffet as we only ate there at lunch time. There were lots of families like us - grandparents/parents and children plus some older couples but it never seemed to be too busy even when we were at sea we always managed to get beds or chairs. We did get a bit annoyed with the bed hogging especially one day when a pair of red trainers “sunbathed” all day and when the guy who owned them put them on he left a pair of flip flops in their place.

I went to the Caribbean lunch with the out-laws - lovely menu which we were told was actually the Baltic/Ligurian lunch menu - bit of a moaner on our table but generally fine - we outnumbered her - the officer on our table was in charge of the stores ordering everything from loo rolls to engine parts.

We were up very early to have breakfast at 7 am on disembarkation morning - we were leaving the ship at 8.45 am for the coaches and this was a bit of a fiasco as although they had two rows from the theatre leaving at a time there was quickly a hold-up and we were just queuing all around the stairs to get off - bit chaotic. Being a smaller ship it was easy to find the cases and we were leaving the docks at approximately 9.30 am and I was home just after 1.15 pm. My poor son however had a dreadful journey - accidents on the way home on M5/6 and of course the roadworks held them up too.

My youngest granddaughter declared it the best cruise ever but then asked where we were going next summer - her father replied - the caravan and got the response “that’s not a proper holiday”. She had forgotten we have booked the Christmas cruise in December 2018 to the Caribbean and it is far too expensive to do two family cruises in one year especially as we are limited to school holidays.

We did have a great time - 17 nights - lovely ship - we all like Aurora - the crew are happy and although there are not the facilities of the larger ships I would be quite happy to sail on her again. We particularly like the Crystal Pool with the retractable roof - those first few days out of Southampton can be a bit cool but it is a pleasant place to sit and of course the children can use the pool.

If you got to the end of this report - well done - I know I ramble on a bit :lolno:
Janis

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Aurora - Spain/Italy/Croatia Part 2

Post by Meg 50 »

lovely!

we had that heat too - we returned a couple of days after you.

I noticed that on Oceana there were loads of extended family groups too.
Meg
x

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

Thank you for posting your report. Really enjoyed reading both parts. Sounds like you had a lovely time.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds good Blod - shame about all those ankle-biters !!

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 12:23
Sounds good Blod - shame about all those ankle-biters !!
Ankle-biters ???
Janis

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

You don't ramble at all it's been a very interesting read, Aurora has always been my favourite P&O ship, we did a similar trip on it 8/9 years ago but in June and that was too hot for me but not a lot of choice when school holidays restrict you.
Jo

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Dancing Queen wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 13:43
You don't ramble at all it's been a very interesting read, Aurora has always been my favourite P&O ship, we did a similar trip on it 8/9 years ago but in June and that was too hot for me but not a lot of choice when school holidays restrict you.
Thanks Jo - I do enjoy my cruises with the family but school holidays are restricting both from the point of view of when you can go but also financially but it is what it is and isn't likely to change.
Janis

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Good read Jan. Thank you for sharing it with us.
For the past 40 years we were tied to school holidays, the busiest and most expensive times but it's great now to be able to go any time we like and avoid them. We don't mind the kids but we couldn't eat a whole one!!! Those churros sounded good.
Last edited by oldbluefox on 15 Aug 2017, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

A great read, Jan, thank you for sharing your trip.
Gill

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Hi Jan
An excellent report and I'm glad you enjoyed Aurora. It's probably my favourite having done more than a dozen cruise on her and now, being on my own, it's the only ship I can still justify a balcony on (although I have got a balcony on Adonia a week on Friday) It must be nice to travel with your extended family, unfortunately the rest of my family are not into cruising.
I do have a couple more cruises booked on Oriana, end of October and next April.
Kind regards
Colin

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Thanks very much for the report, Jan.

Unlike Colin, as above, my impressions were that you may not have thought that Aurora was quite as magical as she once was or did I get that wrong ?

Cruising with the extended family is not something that we have done but it must a lovely experience, we face an almost impossible task trying to arrange a Sunday lunch with our lot let alone a cruise :lol: .
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Manoverboard wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 16:26
Thanks very much for the report, Jan.

Unlike Colin, as above, my impressions were that you may not have thought that Aurora was quite as magical as she once was or did I get that wrong ?

Cruising with the extended family is not something that we have done but it must a lovely experience, we face an almost impossible task trying to arrange a Sunday lunch with our lot let alone a cruise :lol: .
No I do like Aurora very much and would have no hesitation sailing on her again but I suppose you are picking up on my little niggles which don't really amount to much. I am very lucky that my youngest son and family have a shared love of cruising and that they include me and the in-laws. I don't see them very often - distance/school/work all prevent a closer relationship so I enjoy their company so much when I am with them on holiday. I have my own cabin so can "escape" should I feel like it ;)
Janis

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Enjoyed reading about your cruise, good that you enjoyed it and everyone is well! Nice that you could have the same table and waiters at dinner.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Thanks for the review Jan.
Pleased that overall you had a good cruise.
Only 7 weeks till I sail on Aurora.

Take care
Lindsey

Keechy
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Keechy »

Jan, it sounds as if you had as good a time as we did. We don't normally go for child-friendly ships but my OH wanted to go on Aurora again because she is her favourite. I have to say that the youngsters were in generally very well behaved but there were a few complaints about rowdyism in the lifts.

The one thing we did noticed, and pointed out in the various surveys, was the lack of hygiene enforcement in the buffet. There are wash basins and at least two gel stations at each entrance with notices about cleanliness but lots of passengers, old and young, didn't bother. It used to be that a staff member would crack the whip and make you disinfect your hands before letting you in. I know you use tongs at the buffet, but they can just as easily become contaminated. We also saw a few young lads coming straight from the Crystal pool into the buffet wearing swimmies to get glasses of water, but a waiter did tell them not to. Perhaps the notice at the entrance needs to be bigger!

As far as excitement goes, you didn't mention the request for blood donors and the airlift as we passed La Coruna. A poor passenger had suffered a burst ulcer and needed urgent treatment. The captain announced later that he was doing well.

All our clothes are washed, the cases are put in the loft and it's like we haven't been away.
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

It's like everything Keechy, unless it is enforced all signage is irrelevant.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Keechy wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 10:00
Jan, it sounds as if you had as good a time as we did. We don't normally go for child-friendly ships but my OH wanted to go on Aurora again because she is her favourite. I have to say that the youngsters were in generally very well behaved but there were a few complaints about rowdyism in the lifts.

The one thing we did noticed, and pointed out in the various surveys, was the lack of hygiene enforcement in the buffet. There are wash basins and at least two gel stations at each entrance with notices about cleanliness but lots of passengers, old and young, didn't bother. It used to be that a staff member would crack the whip and make you disinfect your hands before letting you in. I know you use tongs at the buffet, but they can just as easily become contaminated. We also saw a few young lads coming straight from the Crystal pool into the buffet wearing swimmies to get glasses of water, but a waiter did tell them not to. Perhaps the notice at the entrance needs to be bigger!

As far as excitement goes, you didn't mention the request for blood donors and the airlift as we passed La Coruna. A poor passenger had suffered a burst ulcer and needed urgent treatment. The captain announced later that he was doing well.

All our clothes are washed, the cases are put in the loft and it's like we haven't been away.
I believe Blod included that drama in Part 1

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Keechy wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 10:00

Glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did - I did notice there was no-one monitoring the hand washing/disinfecting - I think this is par for the course now on most of the ships - apparently the hand washing part is more important but I saw few people actually doing it. Someone asked the restaurant manager one night - he did show her a bottle of gel but this wasn't available unless you asked.

I did mention the airlift in Part 1 of my report but I do ramble on a bit so you must have missed it ;)

I thought the kids were quite well behaved - our youngest granddaughter was with us most of the time but the 14 year old was with her friends in the club or by the pool - we did keep a discreet eye on her and she had to check in with us from time to time.

Like you the washing and ironing is all done although the cases still have to be put up in the attic.
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Jan Rosser wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 11:45

Glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did - I did notice there was no-one monitoring the hand washing/disinfecting - I think this is par for the course now on most of the ships - apparently the hand washing part is more important but I saw few people actually doing it. Someone asked the restaurant manager one night - he did show her a bottle of gel but this wasn't available unless you asked.
On Adonia recently, there was always a jolly fellow with a bottle of gel at the restaurant entrance for dinner and once or twice, we did see the restaurant manager remind people to use the static gel dispenser at lunchtimes. I suppose, on a small ship like that, the crew have much more time for such niceties
Jan Rosser wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 11:45

Like you the washing and ironing is all done although the cases still have to be put up in the attic.
Absolutely no point - you'll be off again in a day or two !!
Last edited by qbman1 on 16 Aug 2017, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thanks Jan, enjoyable read, glad you had a good cruise overall 😀

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Thanks for posting your review of out favourite ship. Really enjoyed reading it.

Keechy
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Keechy »

Oo er missus! Sorry I had missed your Part 1 altogether! Didn't even notice your post was marked Part 2 :oops:

I need a holiday :(
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Keechy wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 09:32
Oo er missus! Sorry I had missed your Part 1 altogether! Didn't even notice your post was marked Part 2 :oops:

I need a holiday :(
You probably thought Part 2 was enough - told you I ramble :lolno:

I agree about another holiday - the weather has been awful since our return :cry:
Janis

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

An interesting read Jan, thank you. I think Aurora is our favourite ship along with Adonia and Oceana - we don't go for the biggies so much although we have been on Azura several times and Ventura once. It's always interesting to read about other people's cruises.

Carole

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for your review Jan. Aurora was the first ship we sailed on and we were on her for nearly 7 weeks earlier this year, so I think she is our favourite.
Gill

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”