Azura Newbies Help!

Discussions about anything related to Azura

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Azura Newbies Help!

Post by cornmillgirl »

After a great many cruises, we have decided to give Azura a go in April.

Has anyone had any experience in dining in the various select dining venues with a special diet requirement, I have a vegan diet, but I believe
each venue has a separate galley so food can be prepared as it would in the MDR if notice is given.

Any particular venue better than others, I like Indian food so Atul Kochar's restaurant will be on the list to try and what about the Glasshouse
that sounds great for a glass of wine or two.

As for the Retreat, do they have the special thermal beds and thermal pool like on Arcadia and what is the likely cost. Any tips are
appreciated.

We are in C751, which I know has some sort of metal structure bit running through the balcony, just wondered if anyone had been in this
cabin. Cant see it being a problem but interested to know.

thanks

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Azura Newbies Help!

Post by Dark Knight »

we were on Azura for the GE

Sindhu is sublime, one of the best Indian meals ever, the signature cocktail is great and the lunchtime tasting menu is a real treat on a sea day
the retreat divides opinion but we loved it, it was £20.00 each on a sea day and IMHO worth every penny, just for the sunbeds and bathrobes :D they do various packages , so look on the web site to see what they are offering, they also did a bit of food in the retreat as well as drinks
Glass house also divided opinion, the food to me, was gastro pub and ok, the venue not so good , as it gets a lot of through traffic esp from the theatre

my tip would be ,book whatever you decide, almost as soon as you board , as everything can sell out quick, due to the sheer numbers of pax
Nihil Obstat

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We had the suite next door - C749 - and saw the balcony next door. At that time, there were no sunbeds on their balcony, though others have said they have since had them. The metal obstruction would make it difficult to position sunbeds I'd think and for that reason we would always opt for a clear balcony, but if you don't use it a lot, it wouldn't be a problem. The suite itself was slightly larger than ours.

Regarding your diet, I imagine Sindhu wouldn't be a problem, but the meals in the Glasshouse are pretty much set in stone and you would have to scrutinise the dishes carefully before deciding if it would work for you.

I seem to remember there were thermal beds in the Spa, but although we used the Retreat, we didn't use the beds - the room was dark and closed in so not at all pleasant.

We really liked Azura, so I hope you have a great time.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We too loved Sindhu, and because the food is freshly prepared I imagine they would be able to cope with your dietary requirements. We like the Glass House for a lunch time snack, when they offer a tapas style menu. Again there may be choices that work for you.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

there was one venue called Mallibar? which I really didnt like, it was a sort of dark corridor on deck 7 i think, very odd
Nihil Obstat

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Dark Knight - I will make a note and certainly book early as you suggest.

I have a good feeling about Azura, I cannot imagine why we would not enjoy it.

I have written to P&O's Corporate Chef re dining in select venues, as I seem to get different answers whenever I enquire on
the ship. But I am sure I will manage, certainly wont starve :D

Gilld46 - there was only C751 left when we booked but it was such a good deal, the metal thing will not be a problem. I am sure
we can squeeze the sun loungers in somehow.

Mervyn and Trish - there are a couple of things on the tapas menu that will suit me as I too like snacks at lunchtime so I can enjoy
dinner.

I am very excited because its a new experience for us, sure I will get lost, but thats all part of the fun.

If anyone has any other suggestions or tips, they are more than welcome.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

The dinner at Verona - part of the buffet sectioned off at night is good. You are not able to book, just turn up ( early) and get given a beeper. But take a wrap, it's kept VERY cold!
Gill

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Cornmillgirl girl,

We have cruised on Azura many times and really enjoy the ship including Malabar.

The retreat is a different set up than Arcadia's hydro pool area. The retreat package consists of the better relaxing sun beds around the front area of the ship. Some food is served there but not particularly healthy food and other than a basic salad Or fruit I doubt you would get any vegan up there. There is no Hydropool but there is the oasis pool which is open to all adult pax. (It used to be only for Retreat users)

There are heated sunbeds and showers, sauna steam rooms etc in the spa area which can be booked as part of the retreat package.

Sindhu is our favourite select dining restaurant. They are so helpful and eager to please that I feel confident they will ensure your dietary needs are met. Many pax like the 17 restaurant. We have tried thus twice on 2 different cruises and found it very mediocre in both service, choice of food, and value for money. I do think that they would also be able to meet your dietary needs. As you have booked a suite you will be able to have breakfast in there if you prefer.

The Glass House I am not so sure about. It is more a steak, burger or fish eatery but it is worth asking as it is a nice venue.

I asked for a special diet on our last cruise as I don't eat meat and have found in the past the main menu very meat orientated. The head waiter for the special diets brought me the following days lunch menu and dinner menu together with the vegetarian menu and took my order. It worked much better for me and left me wondering why I had not taken up this service on previous cruises.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Sue

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

Suekersh wrote:
Hi Cornmillgirl girl,

We have cruised on Azura many times and really enjoy the ship including Malabar.

The retreat is a different set up than Arcadia's hydro pool area. The retreat package consists of the better relaxing sun beds around the front area of the ship. Some food is served there but not particularly healthy food and other than a basic salad Or fruit I doubt you would get any vegan up there. There is no Hydropool but there is the oasis pool which is open to all adult pax. (It used to be only for Retreat users)

There are heated sunbeds and showers, sauna steam rooms etc in the spa area which can be booked as part of the retreat package.

Sindhu is our favourite select dining restaurant. They are so helpful and eager to please that I feel confident they will ensure your dietary needs are met. Many pax like the 17 restaurant. We have tried thus twice on 2 different cruises and found it very mediocre in both service, choice of food, and value for money. I do think that they would also be able to meet your dietary needs. As you have booked a suite you will be able to have breakfast in there if you prefer.

The Glass House I am not so sure about. It is more a steak, burger or fish eatery but it is worth asking as it is a nice venue.

I asked for a special diet on our last cruise as I don't eat meat and have found in the past the main menu very meat orientated. The head waiter for the special diets brought me the following days lunch menu and dinner menu together with the vegetarian menu and took my order. It worked much better for me and left me wondering why I had not taken up this service on previous cruises.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Sue
Thanks Sue for the detailed reply and positive comments about Azura, it would take alot for me not to enjoy a cruise. I have been vegan on all of our cruises, so getting the menus the night before is what I am used to and I am hoping to be able to dine in all the other venues. Glad you were well looked after.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Hi Cornmillgirl, Azura does tend to polarise passengers. We wouldn't sail on her again, mainly because of the lack of a promenade deck. Yes, I know there's a shelf to which you can get access but it's not the same as other mid-size ships. We also found that the outside space was very limited, but it's all down to personal preferences.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

and the sea screnn splits opinion
we enjoyed a night under the stars with a few cocktails watching the films but not everyone likes it
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Dark Knight wrote:
we enjoyed a night under the stars with a few cocktails watching the films but not everyone likes it
Indeed. As far as picture quality goes it is the lowest of the low.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Dark Knight wrote:
Loved it!
Gill

Linda67
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Linda67 »

I'm coeliac, so need gluten free diet & ate in Sindhu twice on our cruise on Azura last June, first time I'd been brave enough to try select dining. We booked the days we wanted as soon as we boarded & was asked then if any dietary requirements, then went to Sindhu the day before to chose from the menu. Both meals were fantastic! The head waiter from the freedom dining rsstaurant also sent the next days menus up to Sindhu so I could order for the next day. Didn't try 17 or Glasshouse but heard good reports of both.

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

Linda67 wrote:
I'm coeliac, so need gluten free diet & ate in Sindhu twice on our cruise on Azura last June, first time I'd been brave enough to try select dining. We booked the days we wanted as soon as we boarded & was asked then if any dietary requirements, then went to Sindhu the day before to chose from the menu. Both meals were fantastic! The head waiter from the freedom dining rsstaurant also sent the next days menus up to Sindhu so I could order for the next day. Didn't try 17 or Glasshouse but heard good reports of both.
Thanks Linda67 that sounds very encouraging, I will check out the Sindhu menus and see what there is that could be tweaked to suit my diet.

Appreciate everyone's replies, maybe the sea-screen looks better the more cocktails you have :roll:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

we sat under the stars ,wrapped in blankets , drinking lovely cocktails , watching War Horse
a really nice way to spend an evening
Nihil Obstat

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

Dark Knight wrote:
we sat under the stars ,wrapped in blankets , drinking lovely cocktails , watching War Horse
a really nice way to spend an evening
That sounds ace, not sure I'd keep my eyes open though, cocktails, warm blankets, the movement of the ship,
I'd be nodding off :D

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We too have been in the suite next door to yours. The people who were in there decided to move the table from the balcony and move it inside - there is room. This gave them more room for loungers. It would be difficult to get the table and chairs plus the loungers out on the balcony. Unlike you this couple had not known of the obstruction - shows how important it is to do research. I'm sure if you got a good price then you will cope with the beam and not let it spoil your cruise. I think they only had one lounger on the balcony when they arrived but they asked for a second one as soon as they arrived.

Carole

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

CaroleF wrote:
We too have been in the suite next door to yours. The people who were in there decided to move the table from the balcony and move it inside - there is room. This gave them more room for loungers. It would be difficult to get the table and chairs plus the loungers out on the balcony. Unlike you this couple had not known of the obstruction - shows how important it is to do research. I'm sure if you got a good price then you will cope with the beam and not let it spoil your cruise. I think they only had one lounger on the balcony when they arrived but they asked for a second one as soon as they arrived.

Carole
Thanks CaroleF - I always do my research, not sure I would be so pleased if I did not know about the beam. It was the only suite left on C deck
otherwise I would have gone for the one you and GillD46 had. We will suss it out when we get there, but thanks very much for the feedback.
Other than that did you like Azura? Everyone else seems to, I am very excited about it.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

It is a lovley ship, lots of space, loads to do onboard, good food and great staff
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

As QBob says, some love her, other hate her. We are in the love category. She's one of our favourites and never ceases to please.

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

Takes me back to when Arcadia came under the P&O umbrella, friends of ours went on her and said "dont go on her, awful ship".
We sailed on her and loved her, so its horses for courses.

I dont dislike any ship if I am truthful, I love cruising that much, that any ship is fine, the only thing put us off sailing on Azura
really was her size. However we went on Adonia and her small size was not a problem, so the larger Azura will not either.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Glad to see that you're not hanging about, cornmillgirl. How long is it since you disembarked Aurora - a week?

Topic author
cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

kaymar wrote:
Glad to see that you're not hanging about, cornmillgirl. How long is it since you disembarked Aurora - a week?
Kaymar I had not even disembarked Aurora, I booked the Azura cruise whilst on board, got a really good price with £900 OBC
and free parking.................... could not resist, had to get Popeye's approval but I can be very persuasive :D

Then off on the Oceana in August.......................... We did say "no cruises in 2014" so we've failed on that front :lol:

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Yes, cmg, I can believe that you can be persuasive :)

£900 obc! In the absence of excursions, spa visits and select dining, I guess that leaves "refreshment". At, say, £25 a bottle that's 36 bottles in 14 days - you'd better get back into training pretty soon, unless, of course, you're doing a back-to-back.

Return to “About Azura”