The Retreat Health Spa

Discussions about anything related to Azura

Topic author
Ingram33
Cadet
Cadet

The Retreat Health Spa

Post by Ingram33 »

I thought it would be nice for people to post on their good experiences of The Retreat on Azura.
For example, my good experience was going down there on embarkation to book in for eyebrow treatment - when they persuaded me to take part in a raffle to win one of many free treatments during my cruise. To be part of the raffle anyone that entered had to go back to a presentation which just involved members of staff going through what various treatments were available during the two weeks onboard. To my surprise upon the raffle commencing at the end of the talk, who should be pulled out first was myself and I had won an Ionothermie wrap treatment - worth £89!

Love to hear other people's experiences.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: The Retreat Health Spa

Post by Suekersh »

I won the same treatment on Adonia. Quite enjoyed it but wouldn't pay for the treatment.

We rec'd special treatment in the retreat a couple of years ago. We had just had news that our 2 nd granddaughter had been born and when we sat down for lunch the steward brought us a bottle of fizz from the manager of the spa. It was such a lovely gesture.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

We don't really use the spa but on our last trip on Azura we did use the Retreat. It was a port day and so only cost £12 each (on sea days it costs £20pp).
Both of us thoroughly enjoyed it and overall thought it was good value for money. I would much prefer to spend money on the Retreat rather than on the likes of seat upgrades on the flight or a balcony cabin.

On the down side though I believe that they are to turn the pool within the Retreat area into an adult only pool open to everyone ... I think that will significantly take away from the Retreat experience.

Topic author
Ingram33
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Ingram33 »

That's interesting, Ken, both the fact that The Retreat is cheaper on port days (did not realise that) - and that they might turn pool to adult only for everyone and not just Retreat paying passengers.

I would actually welcome that change, as our first cruise was on the Ventura which as we know had that same pool as adult only (without athe Retreat of course) and I used to love going down to that pool for my swim, as I do love a swim EVERY DAY whatever the weather.

When we then went on the Azura last Christmas to Caribbean we had to use the Terrace Pool as that was specifically adult only - this was therefore my option aside of paying to go into The Retreat - but we were horrified to see this New Year that the Terrace Pool had been changed from adults only to therefore include children! I was informed that this had only happened in December 2012 therefore only couple weeks before we sailed. Now I'm no way against children playing and splashing in a swimming pool - I haven't forgotten my two children used to do that when they were little - but I thought that is why we have the two main pools centre, for that purpose.

Therefore on our New Year Cruise I had no option but to either swim in the Terrace Pool amid splashing children, or simply pay to use the Retreat pool. I wasn't impressed, so to recap I think this would be a good move for them to return the Retreat Pool to all passengers adult only.

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

We liked the Retreat, we hate crowded sunbeds & potential bed hog trouble. First time we tried to book all the sea days on a 28 night cruise but it was fully booked, next time it was fine, but you do need to either book a spa package or book the Retreat as SOON AS POSSIBLE after boarding.

Mummykins
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Mummykins »

I am not interested in the retreat. I would like to use the pool and whirlpools but object to paying to do so. P&O advertise Azura as having 4 pools and 6 whirlpools omitting to mention that you have to pay extra to use 1 pool and 2 of the whirlpools! I also read that children under 16 are not allowed to use the whirlpools, however when I was on the Azura the whirlpools were always full of kids. I do wish that P&O would enforce their own rules.

Juscrusin
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Juscrusin »

Would be very pleased to see the Oasis pool as an adult only pool, always use this on Ventura and miss it when on Azura.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

we used the retreat on sea day
had breakfast and then poodled up to the retreat had another healthy breakfast :roll: bagged some beds and off we went
lovely and peaceful, great service fior drinks and food, breakfast and a light lunch included plus bathrobes

the only downside was it was a bit choppy when we were in, so the pool was like a whirpool bath but at least I had a jacuzzi to meself bliss and well worth the money

but as posted book early or as soon as you board to make sure you get a spot 8-)
Nihil Obstat

JohnTheDog
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by JohnTheDog »

Something people don't realise about "The Retreat" is the beds are on a ''first come first served'' basis...there are enough beds but it's the position you have to bag early.

Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo »

Ingram33 wrote:
I thought it would be nice for people to post on their good experiences of The Retreat on Azura.
For example, my good experience was going down there on embarkation to book in for eyebrow treatment - when they persuaded me to take part in a raffle to win one of many free treatments during my cruise. To be part of the raffle anyone that entered had to go back to a presentation which just involved members of staff going through what various treatments were available during the two weeks onboard. To my surprise upon the raffle commencing at the end of the talk, who should be pulled out first was myself and I had won an Ionothermie wrap treatment - worth £89!

Love to hear other people's experiences.
Not on Azura but Oceana, this happened to mum, she has problems with her legs/knees and said I would love it if she won the Ionothermie leg treatment, then they called her name out!

Lollie
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lollie »

We used the Retreat last year during our cruise and enjoyed every moment in there. There are a couple of comments about the Terrace Pool and children, well in July and August last year that pool was designated a 'family' pool much to the annoyance of some passengers. Whilst I do agree that there should be an adult only pool for those who wish to swim, I cannot help but think that the ambience within the Retreat will change, fine if they reduce the price but I doubt that will happen.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

I have just come back from sailing on Azura and I was unaware that the Oasis pool could have been used by all adult passengers. I wish I knew this as all the other pools were heavily used by the children and I so wanted to go in the pools but I could not work out which one I could use.
So if I am on her again I will know where to swim next time!!

Return to “About Azura”