Dress Code

Discussions about anything related to Azura

Topic author
Jimbles123
Able Seaman
Able Seaman
Posts: 1
Joined: April 2018

Dress Code

Post by Jimbles123 » 26 Apr 2018, 12:00

Sailing on the Azura in December to the Caribbean
I’ve been reading about the dress code and I’m staggered to find that in the hot Caribbean I am told I can’t wear smart tailored shorts on an evening.
I get the whole black tie night and I’m not suggesting I’m going to wear swim shorts and flip flops in a bar on a night but surely tailored shorts, shirt and appropriate footwear is ok.
Not happy that I feel dictated too regarding the dress code, what are people’s experiences on the Azura, have the males worn shorts smart ones obviously or are they very strict.
Any info appreciated!
Also first time ever in any cruise so any tips relating to the Azura appreciated

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 7369
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Dress Code

Post by Manoverboard » 26 Apr 2018, 12:42

You can wear your shorts on the open decks at any time otherwise you will need to observe the dress code.

A pair of slacks in a pastel shade, or vivid purple if you wish to make a point, would suffice in any of the restaurants on non Formal evenings.

ps ... Hello and welcome :wave:

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5801
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Dress Code

Post by david63 » 26 Apr 2018, 12:54

My experience of Azura is that dress codes have been enforced in the areas where they are required and whilst you may see some wearing shorts in the buffet restaurant at night (not that it is somewhere that I go in an evening) I have never seen anyone in the MDRs wearing shorts in an evening.


daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 648
Joined: February 2013
Location: North East

Re: Dress Code

Post by daib GC » 26 Apr 2018, 13:13

Manoverboard wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 12:42
You can wear your shorts on the open decks at any time otherwise you will need to observe the dress code.

A pair of slacks in a pastel shade, or vivid purple if you wish to make a point, would suffice in any of the restaurants on non Formal evenings.

ps ... Hello and welcome :wave:
I would wear trousers like that if I could get them past a certain person. Not too sure if they would do them in my size. :lol:


daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 648
Joined: February 2013
Location: North East

Re: Dress Code

Post by daib GC » 26 Apr 2018, 13:15

david63 wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 12:54
My experience of Azura is that dress codes have been enforced in the areas where they are required and whilst you may see some wearing shorts in the buffet restaurant at night (not that it is somewhere that I go in an evening) I have never seen anyone in the MDRs wearing shorts in an evening.
That also goes for any P&O ship.


Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 3526
Joined: January 2013

Re: Dress Code

Post by Quizzical Bob » 26 Apr 2018, 13:53

daib GC wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 13:15
david63 wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 12:54
My experience of Azura is that dress codes have been enforced in the areas where they are required and whilst you may see some wearing shorts in the buffet restaurant at night (not that it is somewhere that I go in an evening) I have never seen anyone in the MDRs wearing shorts in an evening.
That also goes for any P&O ship.
And for a lot of Caribbean resorts too. Long trousers for men in the evening, usually referred to as 'resort casual'.

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9600
Joined: February 2013

Re: Dress Code

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Apr 2018, 17:47

Jimbles123 wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 12:00
Sailing on the Azura in December to the Caribbean
I’ve been reading about the dress code and I’m staggered to find that in the hot Caribbean I am told I can’t wear smart tailored shorts on an evening.
I get the whole black tie night and I’m not suggesting I’m going to wear swim shorts and flip flops in a bar on a night but surely tailored shorts, shirt and appropriate footwear is ok.
Not happy that I feel dictated too regarding the dress code, what are people’s experiences on the Azura, have the males worn shorts smart ones obviously or are they very strict.
Any info appreciated!
Also first time ever in any cruise so any tips relating to the Azura appreciated
Welcome to the forum and sorry you are upset Jimbles. You will quickly find that any discussion about dress code rapidly becomes a bare knuckle fight!

But the thing is, like it or loathe it, it is part of the cruise, is clear in the brochure and on the website, and you booked it in that knowledge. So they're not really dictating - it's part of the package you chose to book. No one put your arm up your back.

But don't worry about it. While dress codes are enforced in the evenings in certain areas of the ship, there are plenty of places you can go where more casual is acceptable. And the ships are well air-conditioned. Even in the Caribbean chances are if you wear short in the main dining room you'll have cold knees! Go for a nice pair of lightweight trousers for smart casual nights, steer away from the areas where formal dress is required on formal nights and enjoy your shorts in the daytime.

And overall have a fabulolus time.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 26 Apr 2018, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1461
Joined: June 2014

Re: Dress Code

Post by Happydays » 26 Apr 2018, 19:20

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 17:47
Jimbles123 wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 12:00
Sailing on the Azura in December to the Caribbean
I’ve been reading about the dress code and I’m staggered to find that in the hot Caribbean I am told I can’t wear smart tailored shorts on an evening.
I get the whole black tie night and I’m not suggesting I’m going to wear swim shorts and flip flops in a bar on a night but surely tailored shorts, shirt and appropriate footwear is ok.
Not happy that I feel dictated too regarding the dress code, what are people’s experiences on the Azura, have the males worn shorts smart ones obviously or are they very strict.
Any info appreciated!
Also first time ever in any cruise so any tips relating to the Azura appreciated
Welcome to the forum and sorry you are upset Jimbles. You will quickly find that any discussion about dress code rapidly becomes a bare knuckle fight!

But the thing is, like it or loathe it, it is part of the cruise, is clear in the brochure and on the website, and you booked it in that knowledge. So they're not really dictating - it's part of the package you chose to book. No one put your arm up your back.

But don't worry about it. While dress codes are enforced in the evenings in certain areas of the ship, there are plenty of places you can go where more casual is acceptable. And the ships are well air-conditioned. Even in the Caribbean chances are if you wear short in the main dining room you'll have cold knees! Go for a nice pair of lightweight trousers for smart casual nights, steer away from the areas where formal dress is required on formal nights and enjoy your shorts in the daytime.

And overall have a fabulolus time.
Well said Merv, just what I was thinking!

User avatar

Meg 50
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1920
Joined: January 2013
Location: sarf London

Re: Dress Code

Post by Meg 50 » 26 Apr 2018, 20:23

allowing for the Air - con it can be chilly in the MDR - so don't worry too much
Meg
x

User avatar

barney
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 2839
Joined: March 2013
Location: Instow Devon

Re: Dress Code

Post by barney » 29 Apr 2018, 14:45

I've had many. many land based holidays in decent hotels where shorts were not allowed in the dining room in the evening.

Last time in Costa del sol, a head waiter was on duty specifically to enforce the dress code at the entrance.
As you can imagine, there were a few rows for the first few nights, mainly from Germans.
I'd have been happy to wear shorts myself but it was clearly stated this this was not acceptable in the evening.

I believe that NCL allow shorts in the MDR but have not travelled with them myself.

Return to “About Azura”