Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 1

Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 1

Post by Gill W »

While I was away, I did a diary on my iPad, so thought I'd post it here, if anyone is interested

Day 1 -2

We arrived at the Ocean Terminal at around 12.10, which appeared to be quite a busy time, as we first had to park in a holding area for about 30 minutes, until we were directed to drive up to the terminal for the luggage to be unloaded. However, after that it was all quite swift, and as we had priority check in, we were on board by 1pm. They were using two of the main restaurants for Caribbeans etc, but as might be imagined on a longer cruise like this, there are probably a lot of long time cruisers on board.

We took three suitcases with us, and they arrived one at a time, over a two hour period. But that meant we took our time over the unpacking, so it was quite relaxing.

Sail away was quite late, at about 5.30, and there was a very good sail away party, with Neil Oliver, the entertainment team and the Headliners.

So glad we picked freedom dining. We didn't have to rush away from the sail way, and then after getting ready for the evening, went to the buffet at around 7pm, as we didn't fancy a big meal.

Day two is so far quite sunny, although a bit chilly. We've attended a cookery demonstration, and have booked our select dining.

In the afternoon we went to Olly Smith/Neil Oliver interview, which was entertaining. Olly Smith is clearly very passionate and knowledgable about wines, but above all, wants people to simply enjoy what they drink, and not to have fixed ideas about what is 'right' to drink.

It was the captains cocktail party, held in the Atrium area, at which I learnt that there are 3040 passengers on board this cruise.

We had our first meal in the Meridian. As everyone was going in at the same time, we couldn't get our preferred table for 2 without a wait, so we went on a table for 8. Not really my thing, but it was fine for the one night, and did have a good chat with a fellow family history buff.

Our entertainment for tonight was Gary T Thompson, in Manhattan. He's a new entertainer for us, and I thought he was very funny.

Day 3

We attended a wine/cocktail talk by Olly Smith this morning. There was a cocktail making demonstration, which the cynic in me thinks was a sales pitch, but on the other hand, does make you aware of the different things available. When we visit the Planet Bar, I will, at some point have the cocktail that is like a mint Cornetto!

After that we went out on to the prom deck, where it was sunny, although a bit breezy, and managed to see a few whales spouting in the distance.

Our Bay of Biscay transit has been very easy, and we now find ou selves in very calm seas. Our balcony is sunny and sheltered, so we've been relaxing with our Kindles. Later on we were able to sit out near one of the pools.

We were ready to go down for dinner at 6pm. As I've often mentioned on the boards, we are long time freedom diners, but I'd never seen such a long queue to go into the restaurant. Generally we turn up and go in, and get our preferred table for two. We ended up on a table for six. I don't really want to be getting down there at 5.45 and start queuing. I have a feeling we might not be in the main dining room that often.

Our entertainment tonight was another comedian, Ray Turner. This chap was not really to my taste, as he relied a bit too much on audience participation/ritual humiliation.
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 1

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Thanks Gill, very interesting.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 1

Post by GillD46 »